Monday, June 1, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday and Geese and Gardening (Long)

  Hi Everyone,
     We are loving some warmer weather with no rain for a few days, and now we are headed to the 90's f every day this week-so typical Missouri jump right into summer after a cool spring.

    Tuesday is upon us and we are now beginning the new month of June as well. Hopefully things will calm down, covid will go away for a bit with these hot temps coming and we can try to get back to more "normal"

  Tuesday is also for T with friends hosted my  Bluebeard and Elizabeth-you are most welcome to join us just share a drink related photo in your post.

   This past week early mornings we have been enjoying and watching the duck family I shared last week. They must be spending the night nearby as just about every day now we see this family around 7 am or a little before.

     The other day Larry spotted these two families of Canada Geese



The sun was very bright when I took these photos


My tomato plants that I grew from seed are now ready to get planted. So that meant digging up grass to make a spot for them. I decided for now to start digging up in front of where the lavender and herbs are. Eventually I will have this all dug up and planted in flowers and veggies.



 I found this little guy hanging out near the tomatoes


I brought the tomato cages back today (Monday) from the woods house


Remember that big orange pumpkin trash bag? I cut it up in sections-cut a hole in the middle and placed it over the tomato plant-covered with leaves to help keep down weeds and retain moisture

These seed packets in the front-just one showing is different colors of yarrow


   Looking out the door  (not the lake side) this area is on the left. To the right of the steps we will be working on burning out a big tree stump to make way for a bricked area that I can bake and cook in my dutch ovens along with the Weber grills.  Lots to do and Larry is still not up to much physical work.  I have always worked up the gardens though.
    Things need doing but this summer they will start putting in the sewers and we  are not sure what they will be digging up or where. So many projects are on hold. However. we have plenty to do at the woods house to get it ready to sell.


Years ago a friend at the time that was junking remembered that I was sewing up allot of quilts-brought me two of these vintage sewing machine heads that were no good any more-I have had them in the garden at the woods house ever since-my friend that met me today to dig up plants said I needed to bring them to the lake house-so I brought one and will grab the other one next time


The lavender plant that I didn't think looked so good has lots of pretty blooms and really greened up for me too-we had allot of rain for awhile We brought these rocks we had saved from our woods home.


My friend met me up at the woods house early this morning to dig up allot of iris plants, a couple plants that like to be planted near water-very pretty blooms, and a shorter iris I had gotten years ago from my Mom's garden, and I wanted to dig up my madder plants-used for natural dye on cloth.
     I did some reading on them and I learned that it was better to dig up the roots, dry them well and store for a couple months to produce a better color. So since this is such a messy plant-I just kept the roots and someday I may set up another raised bed to grow more from seed.


These are smaller than I thought they would be-this is their 4th year and I read you can start digging them up at 3 years. There should be just enough here for one dye bath  I have always wanted to try madder-it has been used by our forefathers and before.



We had bought two gorgeous iris bulbs from a local lady that was in love with iris's and had fields of them-very expensive ones and gorgeous colors. I bought two that were Victorian colors-and by accident I got a bulb of the most beautiful black bloom I had ever seen-I had to have these to enjoy at the lake house.
   So my friend met me at the woods house at 8 am and we dug flowers until almost noon. I split everything with her since she did most all of the digging. This area is full of poison ivy and I am super allergic to it-she isn't -so now I have tubs of plants to get in the ground.




Over the weekend I wanted to try a no churn keto ice cream. It is made with whipping cream, sour cream, keto sweetener, mint extract, chocolate bits.  It made a nice treat but I wouldn't make it again.
    I broke down a few weeks ago and bought a cuisanart ice cream maker that doesn't use the ice and salt-you just have to have the bowl in the freezer for a day or so. It's been on back order all this time finally getting delivered this week-I think this will be fun, we love ice cream but I want to control the ingredients-no salt, less sugar-mostly keto sweeteners-stayed tune


These little grey squirrels are so fun to watch-they think this picnic table is for them haha
   They are about 1/2 the size of the red ones we normally see around


 Last week I started walking again worked back up to 2 miles (4000 steps) not quite there yet to get the 3 miles in. I will share some photos of the wildflowers and inspiration for painting soon.

   I will finish with my cup of chocolate mint tea (I need to find another plant of this-so delicious really smells and tastes like chocolate) and a lovely sunset-we haven't had one this pretty for awhile




  Happy T everyone

42 comments:

  1. Your lake photos are very appealing -- I like the sparkly sun with the geese and also the last image.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. such lovely photos of your lakeside home. And you should be proud of your green thumb too - it's all looking so good! I'd love to hear more about your icecream maker- I rarely eat ice cream but hubby does like it and I like the idea of controlling what goes into it;) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now to find where to place all these haha It will pretty next year for sure

      Delete
  3. Wow, Kathy. I'm overwhelmed. I was exhausted after I read your post. You did a huge amount of work this week. I can't believe how much you have accomplished as I sit here and read your work with iris rhizomes and how you have sorted them. That makes me think I need to do the same with mine.

    Love that cute little squirrel. I think he's adorable. Mine want in my bird feeder, but I think there's enough food for everyone.

    You can cut a small piece off your chocolate mint and place it in water. It will root in about a week and you can transplant it. Mint can overtake a garden, though, so they are best planted in pots. I like the idea of mint tea. My chocolate mint died, so I'm glad yours is going strong. Thanks for sharing your week with us for T this almost Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to begin getting things accomplished we really have so much to do.
      My chocolate mint died too-this bag of dried I did a couple years ago.
      I haven't been able to keep a bird feeder up so far-something comes in at night and destroys them could be a racoon or something.

      Delete
  4. I forgot to mention earlier. I don't see Lisca posting yet, but she will FLIP over that turtle. That's her animal of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a lot of work you did, you must have been knocked out afterwards. But well done. And the ice cream looks wonderful! Nice to see your wildlife, too. Happy T Day, take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I even got sunburned on my arms and face-I try not to do that any more. The turtle was very fun to see

      Delete
  6. Whewww, love the reflection pic!
    For today Ii have to decide. Plant herbs or clean the windows? Both is difficult! (Black thumb here)
    Interesting with that roots! I´ve never heard of this (I live behind a rock).
    My Dad wasn´t sane thinking of retina and giving me this name, it´s confusing, LOL.
    "Yep, I´m here!" Once a man shoutet to his little daughter.. awd , well you can guess, I turned around. And he gave me a strange look. I stood behind the flowers.

    Owwww, squirrel-time!!!
    And hmm, chocolate mint!
    And a very, very beautiful last pic! A happy T-day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iris, we are getting really hot now so will need to work on this plants early in the morning or early evening.
      Squirrels are always so fun-hugs

      Delete
  7. You have a very green thumb. Your plantings look good. I have black thumbs, and wing it. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I am happy my lavender plant is doing better now. I am not going to harvest the flowers this year-or if I do just a few of them.

      Delete
  8. Hi Kathy, thanks for your earlier visit and kind comments.
    I do love to see your views and garden, it’s so lovely, we are growing tomatoes although they are grown In. Our town and sold all over Europe and England so they are very cheap but there’s nothing li,e picking fresh food from the garden. I love that you make your own dye from roots, you are very clever, I wouldn’t have a clue!
    Have a love week enjoying your garden and seeing the wildlife
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, it is pretty here-the mowers were here and it always looks so nice when they are finished.
      that's great that you can get fresh produce.
      I love to play with natural dyes-this is a new one for me

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos Kathy, you have been very busy in the garden, moving your plants, they will soon settle an give you pleasure when they grow around the lake house. The ice cream you made looked good as well.
    I was surprised that you saw a turtle in the garden, just shows how little I know about the animals of your country.
    Stay safe and have a Happy T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne, yes these little turtles just seem to show up fun to see.
      The ice cream was pretty good this is my husband's favorite flavor, will try a churned recipe soon.
      take care

      Delete
  10. Such an enjoyable walk around your garden and lake. Will look forward to seeing all the plants in bloom. Ice cream on the deck watching a beautiful sunset sounds like the perfect way to end the day. Take care and Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the box turtles! What a delight to have them at your house :) It sounds like you are excited about all your plans. You have an enjoyable road ahead :) Your lavender is in great shape. Mine is not happy, and I may try some of it in a pot. The ice cream maker sounds handy. Our old hand crank one takes up so much space and takes so long to make we never use it. The view from your deck is wonderful, and the duck family sweet :) You must be quite content with your new place :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always used the rival electric ones that use the salt and ice-but they always rust away too fast -so this new one is a real splurge haha I think we will love it though
      We are getting really hot now so I need to get out there early to start planting all these. we are really enjoying seeing the duck and geese families early mornings. we are beginning to settle in more now.

      Delete
  12. Wow, you got so much done and your garden is looking wonderful! I live the lavender plants and what fun to find the little turtle 😀. Such lovely photos of the lake too, your live in such a wonderful place! Happy T Day wishes! Stay safe and well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jo, we are so enjoying the lake views very much-always something to see. I will be busy planting for sure stay safe hugs

      Delete
  13. Wow, you got some beautiful God spots (spot of light) in some of your photos, Kathy. How relaxing and fun it must be to sit and watch the water fowl pass by.

    Boy, you've been busy. I got tired just reading about all your gardening,moving rocks and stuff and transplanting plants.

    I have a small ice cream maker like that, which I got at a yard sale for $5. I love it. It's so easy: just chill, fill and churn a few times.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow 5.00 is amazing-these are pretty expensive so was a bit of a splurge for me but I think we will enjoy it-will choosing lots of good ingredients for the ice creams
      I was happy to get those God spots too in these photos hugs

      Delete
  14. Life is looking good there on the lake! As always, much is being accomplished. I love lake sunsets, and the bonus is not a boat in sight. Enjoy the weekdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes early mornings-not many boats usually we get the sunrises for our views out our windows. the sunsets would be really awesome too they are behind us past the woods area

      Delete
  15. Woww those canada geeswe are lovely Kathy !! It´s a nice day in the lake sure. Your garden is amazing, and you have been very busy, and the results are magnifique !! Great ice-cream ! Happy T-day !
    The roots are interesting, didn´t know you have to keep them dry for two months.
    I wish you a very nice week and month, stay safe and
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these two families of canada geese were a joy to watch.
      this is a new to me dye plant-they say once dried to store for a few months for better colors. You stay safe as well hugs

      Delete
  16. Nice post. Love your garden and the grounds around you place. You do WS in jugs.I do too. I just planted my romas and some sweet peppers today. Chocolate mint how can you go wrong. That last photo is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a blog friend posted about starting seeds this way-and they are like mini greenhouses-the best way to grow seeds for sure.
      I am on the hunt for another chocolate mint plant-it makes really good tea Thank you we get some fabulous sunrises here thanks for dropping by

      Delete
  17. You have do much going on in your garden. It is looking good! I didn't know that you could use the roots of Iris plants for dye. Good to know.
    Your ice cream looks good.I just used my Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Attachment for the first time this week. I love it. All I have to do is freeze the bowl first and then attach it and churn. I have been experimenting with almond milk ice cream and coconut palm sugar.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated T day Kathy. Sounds like you have been busy gardening also. It is enjoyable, isn't it? Sounds like you still have a lot of plants from your woods house that need to be moved. But how nice to sit and enjoy the views of the lake. And I can't wait to hear about your ice cream. Happy June. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have to get planting and find new home for these-we are really enjoying these lake views-hugs

      Delete
  19. I must say, I'm feeling rather exhausted after reading your post! You have really worked hard. And upped your steps too! I'm finding I'm getting a bit lethargic. Yesterday I spent the day on the couch, not wanting to do anything. Am I coming down with something? No, I'm not coughing. Just feeling tired.
    AHH! a tortoise/turtle!! I love those little ones. I didn't know they lived in the lake. Do you think it was an aquatic one? I couldn't see it very well. Thank you for sharing him.(her)
    I loved seeing the Canada geese on the lake. And am impressed with all the things you are planting. It's going to look really lovely when everything is flowering. Those irises look very promising.
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your ice cream when your machine arrives.I have a similar thing, but I have never mastered it. It doesn't help that we can't get any of those artificial sweeteners, so we have to use sugar and full cream etc. Very calorific! I would like to try yoghurt ice cream. So when the weather improves, I will try that.
    Sorry for the late comment,
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca, I don't know if this is an aquatic turtle or not. Last year I spotted two walking around.
      we are really enjoying watching all the water fowl and the birds here. and on occassion a few deer walk through the front yard-the lake side haha
      I love yogurt ice cream too so will be trying that, Larry doesn't care for it. I will be experimenting with the keto sweeteners-they don't work the same as sugar sometimes, I am going to look into using splenda perhaps too.
      No worries-never late-hugs

      Delete
  20. What a fabulous post Cathy! Lovely to see the lake quieter and with those Canada Geese! Well done for upping your steps - we went for our first long walk in a while, it has turned cool here and hardly any one around by the river - felt a lot safer than last time we went that way(11 weeks ago)
    Your garden will soon be flourishing, do take care though not to overdo it! Well done for the rescuing of plants. You have reminded me that when we gave up the caravan we should have brought some chocolate mint back with us - I do have mint by our front door though! I would love an ice-cream maker! Look forward to seeing what you make. Apologies for the late visit, our internet, which hasn't been so good lately suddenly went right down yesterday and was only restored mid morning today(a local issue)Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, no apologies needed-the "door" is always open.
      today is thursday and it's been very hot here-we did get a good rain overnight and early morning-so perfect for getting the iris's planted, I got most of them in now-need a couple more hours to finish up.
      I am anxious for the ice cream maker-have never had a better one. I need to find me a chocolate mint plant again-so good.
      Happy T hUgs

      Delete
  21. I know nothing about gardening, Kathy, but I LOVE your photos with the geese and the funny squirrel! Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos Kathy! Especially love the geese and little tortoise. It's cold, wet and windy here today, my tortoises think Winter is back, and they've been sleeping most of the day.
    Happy weekend,
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah that's sweet-we have jumped right into summer temps here-along with humidity and rainy mornings nice for planting though-

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit