Sunday, June 7, 2020

A New Journal Page-A Stitch in Time

  Good morning Sunday,
      We are hot and humid here the last few days, so lots of boats on the water since Thursday evening.  Some how I missed the full moon-I was cat napping during the time when it's right out my window views.

    I received my watercolor pencils in the mail. I ended up buying two sets, one from the General that I shared and then I got an email about free shipping from Crayola for just spending  $10.00  I had a few Crayola watercolor pencils and really liked them so ordered a set of those. Glad I did as the color shades are different between the two. I needed to buy something else to make the $10.00 so I bought regular color chalk. Any ideas on what papers would be good to play with these? These are just regular chalk like kids use not the artist ones.

   A couple days ago I looked through a couple of my adult coloring books and tore out a page-to play with the watercolor pencils to see how they worked using in different ways. Dipped in water, color then use a paint brush dipped in water to go over it, and water the paper first. Was fun.

    When I saw AJJ's new theme from Halle-A Stitch in Time-some ideas came to mind to turn this into a mixed media journal page.

   Those of you in the group-since this is a colored in page instead of my own painting, wasn't sure if it qualified to enter on AJJ??
    If it does let me know and I will share there.

This is the book I chose the page from I have had this for several years now-I am not great at coloring so this hasn't gotten used yet


When I was at the woods house digging up plants-I grabbed several of these vintage cigar boxes. Larry has two large boxes of the cardboard ones and few of these wooden ones. He doesn't want them-will sell them.
    Most of these had writing on the outside from the last owner with a magic marker-thinking these would be perfect storage for my craft room-so I grabbed 4 of them (pssst don't tell him haha)


I had fun with this page and then turning it into the theme- A stitch in time


I went through my fabric small scraps bag and found a quilt block from my late Mom's stash-so I decided to make a clock with it. I stitched it to the page with embroider, sewed on a button, sewed on this cute scissor charm-and painted on the clock hands.
  I was happily surprised that this paper held up to the water, and even with sewing.


I stitched french knots on one of the flowers, gluted down this pretty little lace flower to another flower. I also stitched down this little bird button



Thanks for visiting-

25 comments:

  1. That definitely works for AJJ Kathy and the stitching/cloth details you added are beautiful. So I am thanking you in advance for joining us at AJJ. It is a wonderful piece. And thank you for the dyeing info. I need to go get a pot now. Walmart is probably a good choice and maybe I shall go there this week once school is done. I am getting excited to try this type of dyeing. I bought dowels yesterday so I could wrap the cloth around them. You've done more of this than me so if you have any other good suggestions you can send them my way. Hope you are having a nice weekend. Today the weather is not so good here. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, I just wanted to make sure it was ok first.
      I have the dyeing bug again-I am not as set up here as I was at the woods house. The kitchen sink is really small as I had a commercial size sink at the woods house. and basement is not quite fixed with the water issue yet with Larry's health setting that back. and I miss my big commercial wolf stove for dyeing projects I don't know how this small electric stove will work.
      Those black walnuts are calling my name though-and I will do that over the fire pit outdoors. hugs

      Delete
  2. Your stitch in time page is so pretty. And the little bird matches the birds in your cute blog background. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely additions to the colouring page Kathy! I love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your page Cathy, and you have given me an idea, so Thank You! I used to love edging things with blanket stitch so a relaxing evening coming up sometime soon! I love the beautiful scene and the vibrant colours you have used! Take Care, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris I really like using the blanket stitch too-I did allot of it in my fabric journal. thanks much

      Delete
  5. Hi kathy! I have never used water color pencils... well i can't say never.. i have used one or two here and there to outline something or other when i can't find a regular pencil.. But i've never really played with them.. I DO have regular colored pencils... One thing i found with those is theres a BIG difference between say Crayola and Prismacolor....huge! So if you ever question whether the more professional ones are worth it YES they are! Now back to the cigar boxes... I have a few...Curiously a cigar box is just how i store my pencils.. its perfect!! I've managed to pick up a few from flea mkts etc... I want to do altered boxes with them.. If i ever get enough time.. Your page turned out great!! Love all your additions you used to make it fit the theme.. Hugs!deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be anxious to see your altered boxes with cigar boxes I thought these would be perfect too for my pencils-this way I have them seperated out from regular to watercolor pencils.
      I am sticking with not buying in anything from China if I have a choice. I think the prisma colors is one I looked up and made in China these crayola ones have allot of color in them when wet. take care.

      Delete
  6. Lovely ideas! Glad you are getting so much use out of the spiral chocolate cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever transformation of the coloring page to fit A Stitch in Time! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful creative way to decorate this page. Love how you incorporated the clock into the flower face. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Cat napping" :-)
    No idea about chalk, kids just paint the sidewalks all over here, annoying, as I don´t want it on our wooden floor.
    Sad parents don´t care to say, leave the entrances alone.... or that kids don´t think anymore, either.
    I also got my colouring book out, Hubby said, bleh, aren´t you too old for that?
    No. It´s fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is fun and that's the point-hugs
      I would not like that either chalk all over your entrance

      Delete
  10. You have truly found the perfect example of Halle's theme at Art Journal Journey, dear Kathy. I'm thrilled you asked first, but this genuinely qualifies. You will love using both watercolor pencils and watercolor crayons,. I use mine all the time. Thanks for sharing this page with us at AJJ, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth-I need to search out those watercolor crayons

      Delete
  11. Lovely happy page, Kathy. You added so many delightful details. The lock is just perfect and the button bird is darling.

    Use chalk on paper with tooth, like construction paper. You can use it on other surfaces like wood and glass if you paint them with chalk paint first. Chalk paint makes the surface toothy like a chalkboard.

    Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eileen, and for answering my question about papers with the chalk that's a cool idea with the chalk paint-thanks

      Delete
    2. Oops, I meant to type "clock" not "lock."

      Delete
  12. Such gorgeous pages! I love how you incorporated the pretty stitched elements as part of your design - amazing 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and sending you happy wishes! Stay safe and well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your colored page is absolutely beautiful. You were so creative to add the stitched clock and adorable bird button, and crochet flower! It all looks amazing. Hope all is well with you. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant idea to stitch in the clock. Love it! Great charm and other fun details as well. So much to look at and it all works together so well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I am late calling in Kathy. Your pages look fantastic and I love that you stitched the clock. Its a super piece to add to Halle's theme at Art Journal Journey. Thank you for joining us all over there.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit