Thursday, June 11, 2020

Making Keto Ice Cream

  I thought I would share my first adventure with making keto vanilla ice cream in my new machine.

  The other night I spent allot of time online searching out different no sugar homemade ice cream recipes. Husband is diabetic so I wanted to try making ice cream that hopefully would be better tasting than what's at the stores. Also I don't like that most of those sugar free ones have upped the salt content.

  I had found one I thought I would make here  (This site I am following more now as her cheesecakes are excellent).

   So I wanted to read a bit elsewhere online and see what else was out there. Pretty much said what the link above said:  if you use only swerve type sweeteners your ice cream will be too hard and if you only use xylitol sweetener your ice cream will never freeze-will be softer than soft serve ice creams. I was surprised how many recipes were out there saying it was so good, tasted just like ice cream but was very very soft.Well that's not good ice cream then.

   After her experiments she came up with using both of these sweeteners, a little xantham  gum and a little bit of vodka so the ice cream did not turn hard and icy.

 Anyways I followed the recipe-the flavor and consistency of this ice cream is amazing-tastes like expensive ice cream-but for us way too rich.
  Also the recipe said 8 servings and after churning for over 30 minutes it never expanded so thought that was not right. Not sure  I did just ask some questions in a comment under her recipe.

  I still have a big bag of splenda which I have used in baking with good success, no after taste at all, things bake up nice-so I looked for ice cream recipes using splenda and the reviews were all bad-came out super hard-perhaps could try the same idea and add the xylitol to it.

  I am thinking next time I want to make the base like in the recipe but when she adds in more cream-I would like to change that to whole milk or nut milks, and would like to reduce the butter. My question to her was-will this work and still make a creamy ice cream?

She has a lemon curd ice cream recipe that sounds amazing I would love to try.








     I look forward to more experiments with ice cream making

18 comments:

  1. What's the recipe? 😊

    This looks good.

    If you add berries you don't need sweetener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking fresh berries too this was not that sweet just too much cream for us

      Delete
  2. Your ice cream looks so yummy. Nice new ice cream maker. It is fun to make homemade ice cream and now you should be all set to go. The lemon sounds good too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ice cream sounds great and looks good, too. I'm a chocolate lover, so that's what I want. I used to have an ice cream maker, but gave it away. Now I'm loving that you are experimenting with yours. If only the internet had been in full bloom when I gave mine away, I might still own it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the internet is just so full of information, great tool for learning

      Delete
  4. We only have a cheapy ice cream machine, Hubby likes ice cream. We also have Stevia, can you recommend that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iris, since you only need a super small amount of stevia to sweeten I do not know how it would work-I would suggest a google search on this

      Delete
  5. Wow, your ice-cream looks amazing - yum! I so enjoyed following along to see how you made it and your new machine looks like a great addition to your kitchen 😊. I can't wait to see more of your experiments! Happy Friday and Weekend! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy! Will be interested in your experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOooo can i come to your house Kathy?? Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Just Love That Machine - Endless Possibilities And Combinations - Enjoy The Final Product And Thanx For Sharing

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-I looked at these last year and finally decided to get one-I think it will be fun

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit