Monday, January 3, 2022

T Stands for The Cold Blast & Good Eats

  Good morning especially to the T Group (and to all of my readers),

      We have had ice with a dusting of snow on top and frigid temps. Well they feel pretty frigid since we were enjoying a week of temps getting up into the mid 60's F  New Years Day we woke up to the ice and 8 degrees f  It never warmed up much until a little bit today (Monday) where right now around 11:30 am we have warmed up to 28 degrees f  Felt like a heat wave when I walked up the steps and the steep hill to drop mail to go out in my mailbox.  Only one patch of ice still and that is right at the top of the steps where it doesn't get sunshine.

   I have made us some good eats over the last week.

 My pizzas turned out delicious, and using Bob's Red Mill gluten free pizza mix for my crust I enjoyed a good pizza this time. Pizza always freezes well too so we can have some later.

  I have several sizes of pizza stones, this time I wanted to roll the dough out thinner so I grabbed these two trays of rectangle clay stones made in Italy. I spray with olive oil and then scatter coarse cornmeal all over the bottom

   This one is the wheat pizza



My gluten free pizza 
     I  like my cheese more browned up a bit. toppings for both were sausage, green olives, and a can of organic portobello mushrooms and lots of mozzarello cheese on top


a close up of the wheat pizza


New Year's day I made up a shrimp boil for the two of us with a fresh green salad




   I churned up a keto ice cream with mint extract and swirled in Hershey's sugar free syrup Turned out delicious   I had just enough cream and half and half to make another batch so I made that this morning and added banana and strawberry extracts. I will churn that one up this afternoon  Treats in the freezer is always nice


For my bubbly New Year's Eve I chilled a bottle of dry white wine that I had purchased at one of the local wineries in Stover Missouri-when I visited with our Wisconsin friends. I like dry whites but I don't drink them often so this one was a treat. I chilled it just a bit which really brought out the flavors. This wine is aged in oak barrels I enjoyed a glass around midnight along with really enjoying the fireworks going off across the lake from us-how special is that?


This morning early when we were around 8 or 10 degrees f the eagles were here. At first it was one of the adults and their adolescent, by the time I grabbed my camera they were gone.  A bit later I looked out the front glass door and one was sitting on a top branch and I got to see the other one fly in-that was cool.  Grabbing my camera it was soooo cold just standing with the front door open that I took photos through the foggy glass window.  this was zoomed in 30 times with my old digital camera.  The were very talkative this morning. I love listening to them.



   For another drink share I wanted to share a new to me decaf tea. It is from the tea company that puts together American historic teas. This one was Martha Washington's favorite.  This tea has a rich deep flavor- I loved it.





To close I wanted to share this photo again for those of you that only visit for T. We were surprised with a 5th bloom on the amaryllis-amazing. This bloom was a bit smaller but still so pretty-Paintings behind to left gift from Barbara to the right gift from Debra, and the metal eagle cutout is a gift from our Wisconsin friends


Closing with this morning's sunrise


 

Happy T 

    I am off to finish up the pot of chili and to make up a cast iron skillet of cornbread for our main meal at 2 pm today.  What comfort foods do you like to make up for the winter months??   Also those of you that follow my Cast Iron Saturdays are you still interested in those posts for this year? thanks

47 comments:

  1. I’d love your pizza! Chili sounds good to me too. All hot things sound great today, it’s frigid and snowy in NJ. But I really enjoyed a walk in the woods anyhow (to place my new trail camera. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to read you enjoyed a walk in the woods-love that when there is snow on ground

      Delete
  2. Your delicious food is making me hungry Kathy!
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every moment was cherished with nice treats, icecream, delicious pizza. Love how you enjoyed your days. Beautiful sunrise. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, we did have allot of our favorite foods over the holiday weeks. We so enjoy these sunrises too. enjoy your day as well

      Delete
  4. Your post is making me hungry since I haven't had dinner yet, smile. Your pizza looks delicious. I've never had a shrimp boil but I have had peel and eat shrimp. I wonder if they are similar. Peel and eats shrimp is more of a snack or appetizer. I hope your weather has warmed up a bit. It is very cold here tonight but I hope its warmed up for you. Have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the shrimp probably is similiar these need to be boiled first with spices and then you peel and eat them.
      we did finally warm up a bit today, allot of the ice is gone now but there is still some patches since we lost the sunshine mid day. stay warm hugs

      Delete
  5. What a magnificent cook you are. One could never find better looking pizzas and homemade ice creams anywhere at any time. Lucky Hubby of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pizza looks delicious! I will have to look up this crust mix. I am always in the mood for a good pizza but GF crust can be tricky. In fact, all your food sounds delicious. Shrimp and ice cream is the perfect holiday food.
    The sunrise is lovely and the perfect way to start the day. It sure looks cold there. Thank goodness for warm shelters and hot food.
    Your tea looks interesting, and I love the interesting looking tin. Definitely a keeper to reuse.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up the gf pizza doughs and breads just really difficult to make them edible--and I have tried so many recipes over the years. Bob's red mill bread mixes are usually pretty good.
      this was a really nice tea and yes I love the tin too Happy T wishes

      Delete
  7. Your food always looks so good, Kathy. Fireworks over the lake must have been lovely! But oh, it's cold in your place. Since we have moved to California I have become very soiled and I sometimes wonder how I survived 40 winters in Germany...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has been pretty cold here for a few days. the fireworks was wonderful I really enjoyed that. Yes Germany can get very cold I am thinking

      Delete
  8. Oh my it is ALL so good!! The food , yes of course, (the shrimp is my fave) but how special to have the eagles in view along with seeing such gorgeous sunrises over the lake! Happy New Year and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes the eagles are so special this is the time of year we see them the most-before they start their next family I love the shrimp too-Happy T

      Delete
  9. Not a pizza fan, but the prawn and ice cream are bomb! I would love some too :-) Stay warm and drink lots of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie I am very happy with this ice cream-the banana-strawberry flavor I made today was really good too-yes tea perfect for the winter time-

      Delete
  10. It´s just past after 07:00 am and I want Pizza!!!!
    The tea container is wonderful.
    And chili, hmmmm. Here it´s green kale or Soljanka as winter dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy, what a wonderful post.

    All the food looks wonderful - especially that pizza! I know I would love that wine and I want to try that tea for sure! How interesting!!! My girls would love it too.

    You are blessed to have the eagles as neighbors! You live is such a great place.

    Comfort foods in winter for me are soups and stews with cornbread, of course. These days I am skipping hte cornbread to shed a few pounds....

    Happy T-day and Happy New Year! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too I love soups and stews too. we really watch the carbs here so the chili and cornbread was a splurge for sure.
      yes we are very blessed to have this eagle pair for neighbors. I watch for them every day

      Delete
  12. So much lovely food and drink, good job I just had dinner here! Happ T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eagles are so magnificent -- you are lucky to be able to watch them from your window.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chili sounds good for the cold. It will be fun to try historic teas.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This company's web site is fun to browse through-most of them have caffeine in them so was happy to find this one

      Delete
  15. I think we should get together for pizza ;) and bird watching :)

    I've made chili (cornbread goes great with that), and today I'll make chicken soup to add to the freezer. I also like various types of bean soup. Hot foods for cold weather.

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to smile-I just put the chili from yesterday in the freezer-3 more meals with it. I am making chicken soup today too I love a good split pea soup too Happy T

      Delete
  16. Your post is making me hungry. All that lovely food! That cacao shell tea looks very interesting. I just looked it up on Amazon but all of the brands are unavailable. I saw yours there too, but no joy.
    My favorite winter dish? Split pea soup! In Dutch: erwtensoep.
    The eagles are amazing! What a privilege to have them as your neighbors.
    Happy T-Day,
    Stay safe,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca, I love split pea soup with ham. I have not made it in awhile.
      Yes we are very fortunate to be able to enjoy this eagle pair.
      bummer the tea is not available-I was surprised with the deep flavors
      Happy T

      Delete
  17. Wow your pizza looks delicious and is actually making me hungry now, not good as you will see when you read my post today lol. Our temps were mild last week too and have gone from 14C to -2C with ice and frost, so that's quite a shock to the system. Hope you are well, Happy New Year! Warm Winter Wishes and Happy New Year T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make us some high carb meals over the last couple of weeks-but back to healthier now. hoping you get your heater fixed-too cold not to have heat-hugs

      Delete
  18. All sorts of yummy treats. I love pizza and like my cheese a little more browned on top, too. Beautiful amaryllis. Your cold weather is coming this way along with some snow on Friday. Happy T Day and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to have warmed up a bit today-stay warm-hugs

      Delete
  19. Such delicious pizzas Kathy, would have a slice of one please haha. It makes me very envious to see that you are spending some freezing days, with snow and ice, ahh, you can't see that in my city. If we want to see snow in winter, we have to go to Sierra Nevada, in Granada, and enjoy. There´s sometimes a few snow in some surrounding mountains, but not in the city, of course, it is a city by the sea, with a lot of charm.
    Happy T-day! That cocoa tea looks good. I really like your photograph of the eagles, and see that beautiful flower in its splendor. Nice paintings, and a nice sunrise.
    I send you a big hugs, take care of yourselves, Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Caty that would be nice to be warm and look up into the mountains and see snow. city by Sea sounds special

      Delete
  20. I do hope you can continue with the cast iron Saturday. I haven't made anything YET-but I will. The cacao tea looks Soooooooo good. I want to order some of that. You always find the coolest things. Your pizza-oh my word. It looks incredibly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra-you are the only one in comments here that mentioned cast iron saturday-I will continue it as it is fun for me too.
      this tea is really nice-I ended up buying this on amazon to combine with other things to get the free shipping. the pizza was a real treat as I haven't made that in awhile Happy mid week Debra hugs

      Delete
  21. Oh my! I could manage. slice of that pizza, possibly followed by icecream! I would pop round now if I could! So happy to see the eagles and I'd love to hear them singing.
    As for cast iron Saturday - I don't visit here as often ask would like, but this method of cooking fascinates me and I love to see what you cook - always!!! .A very belated Happy T day, hugs, Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris-I wish I could have shared the pizza and ice cream with you-it was really good. Happy T stay warm-hugs

      Delete
  22. Sorry I'm late visiting. I've had no internet or phone since Monday, but stopped by to say I am hungry after seeing pizza, ice cream, shrimp boil, and that amazing tea drunk by Martha Washington.

    I LOVE your cast iron Saturdays, so I hope you continue with them, Kathy. Thanks so much for joining me for T this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kathy...it does sound like you are getting a bit of frigid weather. Your pizza looks delicious. Do you ever make cauliflower or zucchini crusts. My hubby who has to have gluten free prefers them over the gf flour type. Yes I do enjoy your iron skillet Sat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I am wierd haha when I want pizza I want closest to the real thing as possible. this mix is pretty good. thanks I will be posting the cast iron saturdays since several of you mentioned that you enjoy them-hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit