Friday, January 14, 2022

Cast Iron Saturdays- Stews & Soups

   Welcome back for Cast Iron Saturdays. Where I explore and share recipes using cast iron pieces.

   Allot of us are experiencing the winter season now, many with snow and cold temps brrrr. Nothing like a good stew to warm us up. I love making these, but since we don't eat allot of carbs any more I don't make as often as I used to-but I love these.

  One of the dishes we always had going in a crock pot at the woods house during deer camp was beef stew.

  Dutch Oven Beef Stew  this link shares a video instead of a photo, to make gluten free can follow instructions using a gluten free flour blend. This is a traditional way to make beef stew

The Ultimate Beef Stew  I am loving this recipe and will be pinning it to my cast iron Pinterest board-no thickener added as it is finished off in the oven. She mentions the high salt in beef stock-yep I only buy unsalted broths and stocks now if I don't have my own on hand.



From Le Creuset-Their secrets for the best stews

Sweet Potato Chowder I thought this one sounded good-can change to vegetarian by using a vegetable stock and eliminating the bacon. Make gluten free by using a gf flour. I would also add more veggies-anything you like.



Appalachian Burgoo  Yum this one sounds hearty and "good eats" for meat eaters though


Hearty Hunter's Stew-another stew for meat eaters with venison and beef


Split Pea Soup  This is one of my favorites but I have always made this with a big ham bone with meat.  I am sharing this recipe as it offers different ways to make this along with a vegetarian option I had never thought of using chicken



Smoky Spanish Vegetable and White Bean Soup with Kale  this recipe is so loaded with flavors, sounds delicious-to make vegetarian they list the option of using vegetable broth or stock  I think this is another recipe to save



Red Bean and Bell Pepper Rice Soup  another yummy vegetarian hearty soup


Easy Lentil Potato Soup
   I have not made a lentil soup in years-this one sounds delicious too, and I am pretty sure I still have some lentils in my pantry



Nothing better than homemade biscuits or breads to go with your homemade soups and stews.

  If you have a cast iron corn stick pan  Old Fashioned Southern Corn Sticks   to make gluten free use gf flour  This link is full of information on these



Cast Iron Buttermilk Biscuits  for gluten free use a gluten free all purpose flour



  Hope you enjoyed these recipes.

    Happy Saturday and if you live in winter right now-stay warm and safe   They are saying we could get snow here in Missouri, the map looks like we may just miss the heaviest of it, but we are returning to more winter temperatures today going forward.

18 comments:

  1. So many lovely meals, yummy! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to make the lentil stew-I love lentils. These recipes look fantastic. I could kick myself for donating my cornstick pan!! Why did I do that??? I do make cornbread-I always grate a good amount of sharp cheddar on the top before it goes in the oven. Oh yum....We are getting the snow right now-tomorrow very cold. Hope we don't lose power again. Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, You would not believe how many people told me to get rid of my cast iron since I am older and it's heavy-well I just use two hands now to move it around haha I would never get rid of any more cast iron while I am still cooking and baking in it. I love cornbread too. we are only to get a little bit of snow and we will probably get missed you stay warm too hugs

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so delicious, but I am loving that beef stew the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good beef stew too-I really like the second link never thought to put it in the oven

      Delete
  4. These all look great Kathy. I recently made some beef stew (yum), and I love pea soup, but like you, never thought of using chicken in it. We've always used ham bones too, but this would be great if you don't have that bone. Stay warm and have a super weekend Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow would these hearty stews ever hit the spot these next few days. Stews are great for those of us who eat gluten free, so I will study these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lentil soup and cornbread day here!

    Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks delicious especially beef stew. Happy weekend dear Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit