Friday, January 7, 2022

Cast Iron Saturdays-Winter dishes

 Hi Everyone and Welcome to my Cast Iron Saturdays.

   Since many of us are experiencing winter right now thought I would look for winter dishes in cast iron pieces.

Cast Iron Frittata  to make this one meatless-just leave out the bacon


Cheesy Skillet Meatballs with Garlic Toast
 for gluten free use gluten free bread crumbs or even gluten free mashed up crackers and serve with a gluten free bread


Chicken Bulgur Skillet this is an interesting dish-not gluten free



French Onion Casserole  this sounded good, could swap out the broth with a veggi broth for meatless  and for gluten free-gluten free croutons


Skillet Lasagna
  for meatless change the meat up to veggies, for gluten free-gluten free pasta



Upside Down Apple Cake with Butterscotch topping for gluten free use a gluten free all purpose flour, for less sugars use keto sweeteners and keto butterscotch chips



Southern Hoppin' John for meatless leave out the bacon add in another veggie



Meatball Chili with Dumplings  I think this is a neat idea for a hardy dish-I would not use their dumpling recipe though, I would find my own recipe for a gluten free version-and I would find another dumpling recipe for wheat than what is listed


Sheepherder's Breakfast
  I thought this one sounded good too-for meatless just leave out the bacon add another veggie you like


Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes  for meatless leave out the bacon add another veggie


Hoping these recipes give you a few ideas for winter dishes that are hardy and will help to warm you up

I ran into this video for making up hot cocoa in cast iron. they were using a small skillet but if you have a small cast iron pot that's perfect. It closes with a peppermint stick and whipped cream-that's perfect for all winter long.



24 comments:

  1. Wow yummy selections of winter dishes.All look delicious. Love the video of hot cocoa, so calming. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the dishes and the video-happy weekend -hugs

      Delete
  2. These look yummy Kathy, especially the sheep herders breakfast. I've even eat that for dinner, but then I could eat breakfast anytime. Are you still in the bitter cold? WE had snow today and the cold rolling in tomorrow, as well as next week. Have a great weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we love breakfast for dinner too. Yes we are still very cold here-not much snow though-which is nice. it is icy in the morning-so a challenge to get up the hill and to the mailbox Happy weekend Erika

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so delicious and tempting, but that skillet Lasagna is particularly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie-I love the idea of baking lasagna in cast iron skillet too

      Delete
  4. Lots of yummy foods. Enjoy your weekend! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheepherder's breakfast looked yummy. Southern Hoppin John sounds good, too. I am glad you are continuing this series, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked those two as well, and am happy you enjoy these posts-hugs

      Delete
  6. These recipes are fantastic. I hope your efforts will stop the killing of the wolves....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am catching up on Cast Iron Saturday. These winter dishes do look so good. I have made something similar to the Sheepherder's Breakfast so I will keep this one for sure. I have been thinking lately how wonderful your cast iron dishes look, especially that apple crisp in your latest post. I do think everything is better baked in cast iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I pretty much prepare all our meals in cast iron thought you might like the hoppin John too

      Delete
    2. OH yes, the hoppin John - bacon and blackeye peas - two of my favorites together. How could I have missed this! Thanks!

      Delete
    3. I was thinking of you when I found this one-sounds really good

      Delete
  8. Kathy those dishes all sound super. Thanks too for sharing gf versions too. Hope you are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are most welcome-the weather is warming up a bit this week-very nice

      Delete
  9. Boooy, you sure leave me very hungry! Can´t even pick a favorite.
    Thank you, I take this as ideas for a normal pan :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can take these recipes and adapt to the pans you have.

      Delete
  10. I need to have a go at some of these- the meatless ones especially- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit