Friday, December 20, 2019

Most of Ice Melted & Eagles

Today was grocery shopping day. I wanted to go yesterday (Thursday) but there was still too much thick ice on the driveway to be able to carry my groceries down. So we have an ice scraper I guess it's called-an old farm tool with a long handle that was perfect. I made me a path from up by the road where my car is down to the top of steps-I already had the ice off the steps with ice melt.

Another 50 degree f day today which did a great deal to melt more ice-although what I had scraped off was very thick and would not have melted off for today without some help.

I wanted to buy more bags of ice melt, something we never needed at the woods home.  While getting these 20 pound bags down to the garden shed I heard the eagles calling-hadn't seen them in awhile-and they were talking to each other.

A few photos-some zoomed in up by where the suburban is parked and then down below by the door looking up.

all photos will enlarge just click on them





This photo and the one above is taken at the first landing of the steps down to the house.


and quite a ways up from the suburban is a steep drive way that leads up to the road and just before a nice parking spot I use for my car-I don't mind the exercise down to the house-rather do that then back up down this steep driveway-never did learn how to back up well lol

Below photo is the trailer we bought to haul things from the woods home and the suburban

 No sunshine today, but it is warm out there and we are to stay warm past Christmas which I am loving-especially after all this ice we had.



   I have not made any Christmas goodies so far except for the three batches of chocolate chips. I don't have anyone to pass them out to anymore as those people were older than us and have now passed on.  My one friend is doing keto and I haven't really perfected that well enough for gift giving-so she is getting homemade soap instead.

   I do want to make a few things though to have at our home. I will make up a batch of chocolate popcorn-yum-, dark chocolate bark with nuts and dried fruits, and perhaps dip some apricots in dark chocolate. I would like to make a small batch of kolachy cookies, I have not made these in a long time-I think they are mostly butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar-roll into balls make a thumbprint and fill with jams. I have a recipe I use that was given to me back in the 80's I would also like time to make some gingerbread cookies and roll out sugar cookies too-those are always fun for me.

  Happy weekend everyone-are you finished with all of your baking ?

6 comments:

  1. Glad the ice is melting, but still be careful. How wonderful to see those eagles, I wish I could see them here. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, having 2 eagles at the same time is so amazing. Glad you managed to get your ice cleaned up. Ice is scary. And I haven't finished baking yet. I hope to have some time Sunday and Monday. Hope you have a great weekend and get made those things you want to bake? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the view of the eagles. What a joy they must be when they talk to each other. Lovely photos today.

    I'll probably not bake anything sweet this Christmas. This one is a bit lean and I plan to spend it home alone. I simply don't feel well enough to go anywhere, but all my gifts are finished, except for a couple that I will need to make after the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness. You have to handle this ice and snow already?!

    Hah, Road Runner!!! Sweet memories!
    Is that salt? We use "salt" in the hard times.
    Ohhh, how cute is yours!

    Yes, sad when friends pass on to others. I´m with you...

    Finished with baking? I´d say nooooo, no oven for me, but I´ll make Aussie meat pies in the fool-proofed machine, and that´s a mini-baking, too ;-)
    Hugs from here :-)
    Your place looks so nice, even in freezing temps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi kathy!!! Hope you get this comment.. Do you have to worry at all about runoff into the lake with the IceMelt? I know places like Lake Tahoe in CA are very strict about that because of runoff.. How cool that you have the eagles so close.. and see and hear them so often. I've done a little baking.. the peanutbutter cookies with the choc kiss in the middle.. and some tigerbutter.. which is not really baking.. I'd like to do some sugar cut out cookies.. Hopefully time will allow.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stairs in the ice are no fun, but it sounds like you have a plan and a system. Apricots in dark chocolate sounds wonderful! I'll make some pies and a cake on Monday and Tuesday. My hubby made cookies, but they're already gone lol

    I'm so excited about your eagle-watching opportunities. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit