Sunday, December 19, 2021

T Stands for Candy Making

  Wow It's the week of Christmas already. Time has just flown by so fast this year for me for some reason.

  Tuesdays brings us to T with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth where we share a drink related photo and link up with friends. You are invited as well.

  This is the first year I can remember of not checking my baking and candy making ingredients ahead of time for Christmas.  Last week I was ready to make the peanut brittle-and no raw peanuts to be found in my freezer or nearby grocery stores. I went to the small Amish market that is just a couple miles down from the Wal Mart. I knew they would have the peanuts and they did. They also had bags of caramels which the stores also did not have. 

  Then I went into my freezer for gluten free flour-none, and none in the stores near me either. So I ordered it from one of my favorite online stores Vita Cost-bigger bags and less money and free very fast shipping So now I think I am ready to make a few things. 😉

   

 Saturday I made two batches of almond bark (Why do they call it almond bark?smiles). The choices are dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or white chocolate to melt down.

   I take the wooden cutting board off of my vintage slab of marble for these candies Fun



The close up below has dried strawberries, dried rainier cherries, dried yellow raisins, and slivered almonds


          

This next one I added peppermint pieces, and I had a chocolate bar with layers of dark chocolate and white chocolate and peppermint so I broke all that up and added to this second bark Most of this chocolate I will give away, and freeze a little for us.


  In the evening Saturday I mixed up  wheat and a gluten free version of chocolate chip cookie dough with peppermint chocolate chips. I am trying out a new recipe for these two from King Arthur's Cookie cookbook I think I would also like to make up a roll out gingerbread cookie recipe too and that's it for this year.  I have snowflake cutters so I can bake up those in January for the sugar cookie roll outs.

   Sunday we woke up to sunny but in the 20's  Needing sunshine and a clear day is a must for candy making like peanut brittle so perfect day for candy.  It went so well this time, I made two batches-will give most of this away to a couple of friends.

  I  have always enjoyed making peanut brittle, as it brings back fond memories of making it with my farm girl Grandma





  For an experiment I decided to try making a brittle with roasted cashews that I ground down into small pieces. Larry loves nut brittles too but years ago he gave up on wearing dentures so can't eat whole nuts any more

    I caught a show on Food Network Saturday afternoon, about candy making with Magnolia Table. She shared a peanut brittle recipe that was so different from what I knew about making this. She was using roasted nuts instead of raw nuts.  So I thought I would use my recipe but change the process up a bit to add ground roasted cashew nuts to the brittle If anyone interested in the peanut brittle recipe I use let me know and I will post it next week. Also after the cashew brittle cooled completely the texture is amazing the candy part is so much lighter, a little more porous too. I think changing up a few things to accommodate the roasted nuts over the raw nuts made the difference.


  If I was better at science I would have known to use less ground nuts than the whole nuts. It was so thick I had a very difficult time stretching out the brittle-It does taste good though and I took notes for next time so I can get it thinner, but it is really good, very light and porous  And I looked it up Yes one can freeze nut brittles   I so need to defrost my deep freezer first though.


  For my drink share, while I was out hunting for peanuts I found this bottle of egg nog-loved the label too.  My grandparents always considered themselves Pennsylvania Dutch-their roots were in Germany. This one has allot of alcohol  in it-I just needed to pour myself one shot instead of over ice in a small glass for this one.  If you look at old cookbooks from the 17 and 18th century this is how it was made with rum brandy and whiskey


  I am making time to practice at least one hour a day for my calligraphy.  This pen is just so comfortable that it almost feels familiar somehow-I have never tried calligraphy before but always wanted to I think I really was afraid of it all these years. My handwriting has always been poor. So far having good vibes from it.

  Sunday evening I went to turn on the tea lights in my luminaries and Wow-a gorgeous moon over the lake. I was actually able to capture a couple of photos



A lovely backdrop for my luminaries

Happy T and Merry Merry Christmas

and a little update: I just got this as an email and was perfect to share for T.

     I forgot who now, but last week on T someone posted about Olive Pluff & Co Teas-I searched them out and they have many historic teas from our American history.  Today is National Sangria Day and this what they shared in an email



53 comments:

  1. I always love chocolate barks, but nut brittle is even better :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the chocolate barks are fun o make and so is the nut brittle-happy new week

      Delete
  2. A great post Kathy! I love how you can step out of the box, change things up, and come up with a winner. Your cashew brittle looks so good! ThE moon made for such a beautiful world last night and early this morning. I love the moon’s path across the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moon is always a surprise too when I see it on the lake. this is the first place we have lived where I can see the moon and the sun moving around the sky-pretty cool I was so happy with the cashew brittle I will do that again for sure

      Delete
  3. Oh Kathy, you've done it again! My head is now filled with images of all your wonderful candies and brittles, I will be dreaming of them tonight. Well done on all of those fabulous creations. Wonderful moon photos, too. Have a great week, Kathy, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to see your candy and brittles.. I make peanutbrittle in the microwave. Came across the recipe years ago... So simple and turns out great every time.. I've never paid attention to the weather when making candy or anything... hmmmm... I also make something called Tigerbutter... made with almond bark , peanut butter, and chocolate chips swirled together... MMMmmmm... LOVE Christmas!! Hugs! deb PS.. thanks so much for the snail mail Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Deb-You are so welcome I have really really enjoyed all the slow mail I have gotten this year. Your tiger butter sounds good. almond bark is so fun to worth with

      Delete
    2. I have a couple friends that make their peanut brittle in the microwave too-I am old school when it comes to most recipes-haha

      Delete
  5. Happy Candy!
    I love your new background.
    Candy making reminds me of 7th grade home ec, learning how to make barely pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you much, I really like this new background too-and will be good all winter too candy making is just fun to do-

      Delete
  6. The pieces of peanut crunch can be covered with chocolate and it is a delicious sweet. When you use nuts it is convenient to toast them a little in the oven. In this way its flavor is activated.
    Kathy, lhe image of the moon reflecting off the lake is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great idea to cover the brittle with chocolate-another layer of flavor.
      the traditional way to make the candy peanut brittle is to use raw spanish peanuts-they get cooked through with the temperature of 275 degrees f bringing it up to 300 degrees f which takes at least 5 minutes or more. but the second method I learned about using already roasted or toasted nuts needs to be added at the very end of the candy making process since the nuts are already cooked.
      Happy Holidays-hugs

      Delete
  7. You have been busy, wow, I am so impressed and feel totally inadequate. Your brittle looks delicious and I bet it tastes wonderful.
    Have a lovely Christmas, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi this batch of peanut brittle turned out perfect this year-sometimes it is just ok-so I was happy with both batches being so good
      Merry Christmas

      Delete
  8. Everyone is making the most amazing Christmas candy. This looks terrific! Have a great Christmas.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you were able to get ingredients needed for your special treats. I have always found that toasted nuts have a richer quality when added to recipes. I even toast nuts before adding to make pesto:) We used to buy this PA Dutch egg nog for the holidays (they even have a pumpkin version in our area too) but now find it a bit too heavy so we stick with wine.
    Your full moon pics are beautiful!
    Happy T day, and a Merry Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I probably won't buy another bottle of this egg nog and it has a too much alcohol in it for me too-the Evan Williams egg not is not as rich but tastes just like egg now with a bit of alcohol in it.
      Merry Christmas

      Delete
  10. Marble Candies look so good, love to follow Magnolia table too. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love peanut brittle! However, I can't eat it anymore; too many crowns in my mouth to break! LOL Your candy looks great, though. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here I have to be careful too not to break a crown or tooth these days-this batch though turned out perfect-very porous-not hard candy like some are Merry Christmas

      Delete
  12. I so love seeing your chocolate bark and peanut brittle. I have a couple of those candy thermometers and they are indispensable. Candy is something I have always been able to make that always turned out great, while cookies and cakes are debatable. Yours looks so good, too.

    I love egg nog, but have never heard of that brand. It sounds good, but I prefer non-alcoholic. I'm so glad you were able to find everything you needed to make your candies and were able to pick up that cool egg nog for T this almost Tuesday, too. Thanks again for the lovely cards, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the thermometer the best too-I have another that is large and is flat but sits too high off the bottom-this one is easier to read too. I love making candy too. You are most welcome-hugs

      Delete
  13. An Amish market - that sounds so exotic to me.
    LOL, I was wondering about the barking, too!
    So many sweets! Luckily Ingo got a hearty Christmas tree from his company.
    Eggnog. I really do have a memory - despite the alcohol, LOL.
    I was on the Christmas Market in my Mum´s good coat - dumb idea. A woman nearly shot her mullet wine over me, I jumped (success!) and my friend... huhhhhh, she yelled at that woman. Hm. No more egg-nog for you, lady ;-)

    Love the pic on the egg nog - Amish again?

    Your card arrived - thank you!!!! I have to admit... I did not a thing. The new job just makes my brain slushy... But I thank you and wish you a happy T-Day, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy the christmas card has arrived-that took a long time.
      loved the egg nog story-hugs Merry Christmas

      Delete
  14. Kathy, your candy and peanut brittle all looks fabulous! I am so impressed! Hubby always buys a bottle of that same eggnog. We serve it over ice as well. I have been threatening to put in my coffee, but haven't been brave enough. Pretty moon pictures. Merry Christmas and thanks for all your posts - they are always a delight! Many hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much I appreciate that I did add a little of this egg nog to my coffee-veryyyy good
      Merry Christmas

      Delete
  15. Your candy looks great Kathy. I've never really gotten into candy making, except once or twice I made fudge. I love the idea of homemade peanut brittle. It looks good. I'd love if you'd post your recipe next week and I would definitely like to give that a try in 2022. The nice thing about peanut brittle is its not just strictly for the holiday. I hope you have a wonderful holiday Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Erika-I will be happy to post my recipe-will post in next weeks T post
      Merry Christmas

      Delete
  16. I'm glad you were able to find the products you wanted for your cooking. Your candy looks delectable! Happy T Tuesday

    oh, and that moon! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too=thanks-I was not prepared this year for some reason. I usually had one freezer with all baking items and the other larger one for everything else. No room here for my very large one-so I have less baking items now the moon has been gorgeous this week

      Delete
  17. What a yummy post! All those goodies! You have been busy! The peanut brittle looks really something I'd like to bite into right now.
    The full moon is stunning. You captured that one perfectly.
    Eggnog from the Amish looks nice. It looks like the one I make: with lots of alcohol. I use brandy as it's the cheapest and we are not great whiskey lovers.
    Greetings from sunny Spain,
    Merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy 2022.
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Lisca Yes this egg nog tastes just like one you would make at home with all the alcohol in it

      Delete
  18. Looks like fun in your candy kitchen. I remember making peanut brittle in jr. high home ec cooking class. Calligraphy and handwriting are two different skills. Calligraphy is more like drawing as in many cases you use multiple strokes to build a letter and thick and thin lines for shading. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks CJ hadn't thought about Calligraphy in that way before-thanks
      Happy T

      Delete
  19. I also order my gluten free flour online, it is cheaper than in the stores here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes the local store here has the big bags fairly reasonable but it is usually less expensive online for sure

      Delete
  20. What a fun post! My mom always loves peanut brittle. Yours looks yummy! I can't wait to see your caligraphy. Merry Christmas my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had to rethink what I was going to make this week. Today has been a rare baking day, Christmas cake, peanut cookies and cheese scones. I also made a croissant bread pudding - I had stale croissants again - it wasn’t too bad! I think I shall try Almond bark tomorrow! Love the lake and moon. Happy T Day Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your baking all sounds delicious Chris almond bark is fun to make you can add in what every you like. Happy T and Merry Christmas

      Delete
  22. Wow that chocolate bark, especially with the peppermint, looks so good. The brittle looks good to even if there are too many chopped nuts. LOL Beautiful photo. I enjoyed your post very much. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much-almond bark with peppermint is always a big hit
      enjoy your evening as well-hugs

      Delete
  23. Great looking candy. And I love the moon photos. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would enjoy eating all of that bark and brittle Kathy, but my teeth would not thank me. I would be worried about losing a filling with the brittle lol. I bet it tastes delicious though. I used to make all kinds of confectionery to sell at craft fairs, it always sold out, people love something sweet don't they, Festive Wishes and Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, yes most of us do have a sweet tooth. I have to be careful too with the brittle-I give most of it away for Christmas
      ' Merry Christmas wishes

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit