Thursday, December 2, 2021

Making Kahlua

   Hi everyone, I should be outdoors working since it is a glorious day today-almost 70 degrees. I overdid it yesterday. I had 16 of those giant bags packed full of leaves that I was determined to get burned in the fire pit. No wind so it was the perfect day for it. There is still a few more days left of raking and burning but I wanted to get the bags emptied and burned first.  I also decided to move several buckets full of the smaller rocks that need to be gone before spring planting-so I put allot of rocks under the two grills so when the ashes fall they won't start a fire from dried leaves etc.

  So today I can feel it, and am slow moving and I think I inhaled too much smoke too.  Monday I needed to drive down to the woods house-there was no more putting it off to turn the gas heat on. We have had several nights in the 20's so far but not several days in a row.  Larry hates it when I go there because I always bring home things. So many things we just don't have room for anymore-but I still want them haha.  When I was looking for a garden tool that was Larry's Grandfathers that was brought back from the old country (Israel) I ran into a box of those beer bottles that are green or brown with the little pottery caps hooked to wires.  I brought those home with me because I used to make homemade vanilla extract, Kahlua, and other things with them. I only have about 4 bottles here so was glad I ran into these  smiles.

  So since my body is not feeling strong for work outdoors I made two batches of Kahlua I have had this recipe since the late 80's or early '90s from a co worker at the phone company. In the past I would make about 4 batches and give them away for Christmas gifts. We had a friend that drank this beer so he saved me allot of bottles-they are really just too nice to be tossed I may have shared this recipe with you before.

  Now I change the recipe to decaf instant coffee, and change the sugar to Splenda since my husband has been diabetic since probably the late '90s, and I can no longer have caffeine.


The recipe

    5 cups sugar

    3 cups water

    10 tablespoons good quality instant coffee

    3 cups vodka

    4 teaspoons vanilla extract-I put in 2 tablespoons


Use a deep pan as it will foam up as you bring the sugar, water and coffee to a boil. Do not walk away from this or it will rise to the top and boil over

Bring just to a boil stirring til all dissolved.
Cool down (I place the pan in a sink of cold water to speed the process) then add the vodka and vanilla Stir and bottle let sit at least one month- This is better as it ages-I would put these out of sight for up to a year or more-so good


I made two batches and ended up with 6 and a partial bottle. When using sugar you will get a bit more  and I misspelled Kahlua on the labels lol



Are you getting some of this beautiful warm weather too?

 Next up I have enough of the less expensive brandy-E&J to make one small batch of amoretto  I use this brandy for my Christmas fruitcakes so will need to get another bottle.

19 comments:

  1. Oh I hope you heal up quickly. I love those kind of bottles too-I always eye them in the stores-but right this minute I don't have any. I have to think of some reason to buy one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these bottles too used to be wine would come with these type of tops too

      Delete
  2. Oh Kathy, I can never stop bringing things home with me. Those bottles are fabulous, and filled with Kahlua even more so. Try to get some rest after doing all that work. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I can't either-especially when we accumulated so much "neat" things haha I did sneak home his vintage cigar boxes out last summer to hold my watercolor pencils and such-ne doesn't go in my craft room so he'll never know haha.
      I hadn't made kahlua since we moved here to the lake and we are out of it. Yep I had to stay indoors and not to heavy work outdoors today

      Delete
  3. I see you've made coffee liqueur! I save your recipe.
    I also see that you like to cultivate. I suggest, then, that you do not discard the dry leaves as you can prepare compost (compost for the earth) by making a well in the earth, placing dry leaves there interspersing with earth. After a few months you will have good food for your plants.
    Kisses Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I have-hugs we were totally out and we love the homemade version just as much. yes I do use the dry leaves for mulch too, we live on a small lake lot now with lots of trees-which is a good thing but I leaves take a long time to decompose, and I have allot of black walnut trees here too which are not good for plants. I don't like burning, but here I do have to burn allot of them hugs

      Delete
  4. Its nice to work on outside, its cold there, here is rainy and sunny only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi we have been cold but we are enjoying warm weather this week-very nice

      Delete
  5. It's been YEARS since I made Kahlua. I use Mexican vanilla in mine. I have both dark and white Mexican vanilla. I used to buy it myself in Mexico, but now friends get it for me when they head to El Paso/Juarez or Tijuana.

    I really LOVE your recipe for Kahlua, too. Thanks for sharing it.

    Sounds like you overdid it yesterday and I'm glad you spent the day making Kahlua instead. Love those bottles. I only have one of them and someone gave it to me after it was emptied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making these spirits is really allot of fun and makes nice gifts too. that's nice you have the different vanillas to choose from. Your welcome for the recipe-I got the recipe from one of Larry's cousins-she brought the recipe along with a large bottle of it too. I love these bottles too and am really glad I ran into these-they are hard to come by unless you know someone that drinks this beer

      Delete
  6. I think it is fun you make Kahlua. I know what you mean about not wanting to get rid of everything. YOu just never know when you might need something you had, and why have to buy it again. Happy December Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree Erika, that is why I don't downsize my craft room and supplies-I never know what I may what to use. hugs

      Delete
  7. Making these spirits was a great change of pace from burning leaves and moving rocks. I know how much you enjoy working in the kitchen. I also love the bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these are always fun to make, I am glad and saw these bottles and brought them home

      Delete
  8. I didn't realize it had that much sugar in it. Sounds good, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does that's why last several years now I have the sugar to splenda and for me to decaf instant coffee

      Delete
  9. I’ve never made anything like theses, or anything alcoholic at all, but my husband is a winemaker.
    Also very nice for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. winemaking is awesome! back in our younger years before retirement we made allot of wine too from found ingredients-dandelions, elderberry, wild raspberries and more--yes nice for gift giving too

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit