Monday, May 31, 2021

T Day Stands for Long Weekend-Boats and Good Eats

   Tuesday came quick this week with Monday being Memorial Day here in the States. We share our beverage in our post and gather for T over at Bluebeard and Elizabeths-find link in side bar.

   Friday and Saturday here was cold and very stormy. I am thinking those opening up their lake homes for the summer were not too happy, or those coming up for the long weekend. This was a very unusual cold Memorial Day weekend for this area of the country.

   Sunday mid day the sun finally came out, still in the mid 60's F though, but Wow did the boats all come out-as we knew from last year they would. All sizes, race boats, pontoons, fishing boats, huge ocean boats and cabin cruisers of all sizes, the personal water crafts-it was all on the lake all day Sunday and quite a few braved the cold late afternoon Saturday. Today Monday most had to go back home if they were working so the lake was more normal-the weather warmer, perfect for sitting on the deck enjoying the views with less boat noise. Safer too for swimming and fishing off the dock.

  I invited just a few people that had helped Larry with the dock project over for foods today (Monday Memorial Day) and fishing or swimming if they chose to, and they brought their families.

  I roasted a 10 pound Boston Butt pork roast on Saturday-and then when cool shred it all-that was allot of work-much more so than a beef roast would take-took me over 3 hours. So I was tired for sure.

   This morning I added it all to the crock pot, added beef stock to keep it moist and lots of pepperoncini peppers. I made sloppy joes from scratch just getting spice ideas from a couple different recipes-turned out really delicious. I made a pot of beans of different types, added  little of this and that-let cook slow on the stove for over 6 hours to cook off the liquid-that turned out really good too. This morning I also made gluten free brownies, cleaned house, washed and dried all the throw rugs-by the time our meal at 2 pm I was tired lol.

   The kids brought a change of clothes so they could swim in the water after we ate. One lady brought her fishing pole-she is a really good fisher-woman and came away with a big stringer full of croppies-she fished off the dock while the kids were swimming. Found she was a life guard in her younger days so the kids felt more safe.


   Saturday morning early when it was really cold and windy our friend and his Father (father drove up from Colorado) came up to to see us and go fishing. It was too rough to take the boat out so they fished off the dock. This is our friend's catch along with his father's catch--Good Eats It was really really cold and windy Larry only stayed out with them for about an hour.


We saw the pirate ship go by today, and this is something new-an ice cream boat


  This morning's bake-Gluten Free brownies cooling


The peppers and shredded pork just going into the crock pot early this morning


The beans cooking slow-these ended up nice and thick-and delicious


Sloppy Joes simmering early this morning-this got really thick too


I was pleased that the foods were all a big hit. I grilled the mini (for sliders) buns, and had slices of provolone cheese to add to the sandwiches. I even found really nice gluten free buns for me from Udi foods-they make good gluten free breads.

The pirate ship going by-


Girls swimming


One young girl was leery of jumping off the diving board, so she jumped off the dock-here father taking photos  Her friend did have fun jumping off the diving board.


One can enlarge the videos to full screen-then press esc on your keyboard to return

 A video of one of the smaller ocean boats we watched go by us this weekend


I took a couple videos-sorry not the best of videos but you can see some of the boats-these were taken just before it got really busy on Sunday 


This video shows a wave boat-which I had never heard of before last year. It makes waves so someone behind the boat can surf-or learn how to surf.  I does make allot of waves too.


I totally forgot to take photos, but after we ate, I made us adults fresh mango margaritas-sooo- good and perfect to end the day and weekend.

  I did grab a photo of this beverage that I finished drinking on the deck Thursday-I picked it up at the grocery store while shopping for foods for this weekend. This was a new to me beverage-the flavoring was up on top-after taking the cap off-you push down in the middle which releases all the flavors into the sparkling water-was pretty good


and I spotted this guy on our brick walkway in front of the house


Happy T and new week everyone

40 comments:

  1. All your food sounds and looks good Kathy. You had a happy holiday from the sounds of it. We had cooler temperatures and rain all weekend. I felt bad for my husband as he finally got a long weekend and it rained. I love the pirate ship. That is a very clever boat. Does it move quickly? And some of the lakes around us as those ice cream boats. I guess it is nice for day boaters who come in and spend the day on the lake and then pull out their boats and take them home. It is crazy the size of boats some people put on lakes, even here. They create so much wake that it is hard to go out in a small boat. Hope you have a wonderful T day and nice week too. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky then as the rain stopped mid morning Saturday but stayed very windy and cold-Sunday was really nice, and Monday was perfect.
      Yes the pirate ship has motors so moves really fast-they have little tours, and you can rent it for a group as well. I had not seen this ice cream boat before-something new here I think. yes we are not happy with these huge ocean boats either the one in the video was one of the smaller ones

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a perfect meal with friends. I'm a fan of pulled pork sandwiches. I don't have a chance to make them often with just the two of us. Guess I'd better invite a crowd. We can fish in the river from our summer place and watch the smaller boats go up and down. It isn't a good spot for swimming though as the water is swift at our location. There is a good kid friendly beach down the river a ways though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's nice to have beach nearby, we enjoy the wildlife here, and seeing many different birds

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you were able to fix all that food, do all that work and still stay on your feet! I bet you sleep well tonight. Loved seeing all the food AND the fun from the dock and the lake. I bet you will be the hit of the town this summer with your great food and your hostessing skills. Thanks for sharing your Karma drink, your food, your videos, and the great photos from the lake with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank yo so much Elizabeth-I was really tired by late afternoon yesterday for sure

      Delete
  4. You sit on the deck and don´t take pics?!

    Oh. I so wish we had ONE system. 10 pounds..? I think it´s a lot, but am too lazy to look it up. Also because "Butt pork" made me laugh so hard! And from Boston, nice to know (must be a special thing, unknown over here... I still giggle as I type).

    ... "sloppy joes"??? Oh, help. I´d be lost in your world.

    Boy, you DID a lot! I´d like to swim.

    An ice-cream boat? Did it have a loud jingle like the vans of my childhood? Once a week only and boy, we ran barefoot for one ball of ice-cream. I once lost one as I slipped in warm dog-poo.
    My cousin laughed.

    Hmmm, the beans. OK, later I´ll look up those Joes.
    Ingo sure´d fall for the pirate boat! One is hanging on the ceiling in our bedroom.

    Oh, you live in such a beautiful place :-)
    Great. Now I have "surfing USA in my head"!

    You do want to "bring me around the corner", yes? Mango?! Ohhhh.... yum.

    Speaking of Karma, LOL! One day you please really let me dip my toes in your lake and cook such fabulous meals!

    Happy T-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iris, yes Boston Butt roast does have a funny name lol 10 pounds is allot-but at least 1/4 of it was fat to cut out.
      I never learned how to swim, even in college swim class did not go so well-it was required class for graduation the teacher just passed me through.
      haha surfing usa forgot about that song-would have bee perfect.
      I don't think the ice cream boat had the song-I think they should have one. Yes you are most welcome to dip your toes in the lake-hugs

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fabulous weekend, and your food always sends my brain into overdrive and I van't think of anything else! I could never manage to produce so much for one event, you had a right to be tired. Have fun at your beautiful lake, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good weekend and nice to have a few people to cook for-we don't know anyone here at the lake and with covid we have been very isolated. was a good weekend for us

      Delete
  6. Wow, you have been working hard! All that food sounds absolutely delicious. I'm sure it was a big hit. You'll be inundated with visitors if word goes round. Such fun photos of the children jumping in the water, and the videos of the boats.
    Today you can (hopefully) rest as you must have been totally exhausted.
    Have a restful T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Lisca-yes I am going to be lazy today for sure and read a book and we have left overs so don't have to cook today smiles

      Delete
  7. Such a fun and delicious looking post! No wonder your food was a hit! Now maybe you can relax a little!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes today will be a reading day for sure my allergies have really gotten bad again with this up and down weather

      Delete
  8. I'm sure your guests appreciated the work that went into all that glorious food! Looks like you got some good weather for the holiday. We had rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Looks like everyone enjoyed the lake. The pirate ship looks so fun and will the ice cream boat come by your dock? I can just hear the music like the ice cream trucks when I was a kid. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had a couple people come up to me and thanked me for delicious foods-so I appreciated that-most were not familiar with this pork dish so something new for them
      The pirate ship gives tours, will pick yo up at your dock and take you to their restaurant, and they have pirate cruises for the kids too. Yes the ice cream boat will come right up to your dock-they did to our neighbors as they were all out there. I wish they played music- I think they need to as it brings back memories for those of us that remember the ice cream trucks

      Delete
  9. Always something to do and to look at in life on a lake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you put out quite a spread. Yummm! I had no idea the fishing was so good at that lake. Something for everyone :) You are a good hostess. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this lake is know for it's fishing we wanted a house with deep water so we could fish off the docks when not going out in the boat. they have allot of fish tournaments here with big cash prizes throughout the year

      Delete
  11. Wow, so much yummy food! You certainly cooked up a storm, I'm sure everyone enjoyed themselves and the food which looks so delicious 😁. Happy June and T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-it was a nice day for us-to finally have a few people over

      Delete
  12. I have been thinking about you and hoping all was going well. Your food looked fit for a king, but I know the pulled pork was so much work. I could go for sloppy joes and slow-cooked beans. Are you ready for the 4th of July...to do it all again? Happy June to you...get some rest! (12 more days in my cast!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good news-count down for the cast to come off-the pulled pork was a big hit

      Delete
  13. Kathy your food looks and sounds delicious, I’ve never had sloppy joes, not sure what it is either.
    Fancy, an ice cream boat, sounds a great idea to me.
    A great idea for the pirate ship taking people to the restaurant, it would make a lovely trip out for a meal.
    Happy T Day
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we used to have sloppy joes allot when I was a kid-not sure if people even eat them any more. you can buy a can for the spices and sauce-but I just made it from scratch-was really good.
      I thought the ice cream boat was a cool idea too

      Delete
  14. Your cooking is amazing in photos. Looks like y'all had a lovely weekend. The turtle! How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-it was a really nice day I loved seeing the turtle visitor too

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. thank you-everyone enjoyed the food--it was soooo cold and windy that morning they caught these fish too

      Delete
  16. Kathy, it all sounds so fun and fabulous! Great looking food for your crowd and sounds like everyone had a great time. I would have been fishing for sure rather than getting in the water. The turtle looks a little scared - probably too many people around now that the season has openned! Happy T-day. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun day and good fishing too. We see these turtles once in awhile just wandering around-they make me smile with their visits-

      Delete
  17. Love the ice cream boat! We saw a great pirate ship in Long Beach when we cruised out of there. Always fun. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon-yes I always fun to see the pirate ships-Happy T

      Delete
  18. A turtle! I love them. My spirit animal is a turtle according to the internet. I'm shivering watching the girls in the water, too cold! Love seeing boats on the water, the pirate ship especially. The foods sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the water was pretty cold-but they stayed in over an hour. love that the turtle is your spirit animal I love seeing them-just will just appear here

      Delete
  19. I am playing catch up. I enjoyed this post very much. Fishing yay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous photos Kathy - you knew what to expect but it still isn't good that it's so busy! Love the Ice-cream boat! Your food does look so delicious! A really, really belated Happy T day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris thank you yes it is crazy busy for memorial day weekend for sure-many open up their lake houses that weekend Happy T

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit