Thursday, May 20, 2021

Cast Iron Saturdays Featuring One Dish Meals

   Welcome to another weekly post-sharing recipes baked or cooked in cast iron pieces. and you are most welcome to share a post or recipe and share the link in comments.

   Last weekend I decided to make up a cast iron pan full of stuffed sweet peppers-I always make too much filling so I just spread some all over on the bottom of the pan and on top over the filled peppers. These were really good-I browned up sausage, a little ground pork and also hamburger, spiced it up and used a Classico pasta  sauce. (when we retired I no longer grew a huge garden for canning, freezing, and drying- I used put up about 500 jars a year-this brand is my favorite sauce since I no longer can my own)   Cooked up a little rice to mix in-we don't eat much in carbs any more but for the rice I use a brown rice that has been sprouted and then dried, so it is higher in nutrition that way. I had bought a creamy spicy cheese from the Amish market so I grated about 1/2 cup and blended that in the mixture as well.

  Last winter when the lake totally froze over, we were asked to really conserve electric as much as possible for a couple of weeks. Lake in the Ozarks was created to control floods and produce electricity  One thing they suggested was to Not use appliances like crock pots, slow cookers etc because they use more electricity than an electric oven does. That was news to me, so since then I have been using my cast iron more and using the electric oven instead of my slow cooker.


Checking for recipe ideas on the internet for One Dish Meals in Cast Iron, I found a few that looked pretty good.

Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie

   This recipe has a store bought crust-I would change that to your own homemade pie crusts. Or eliminate the two crusts-bake the filling and in a seperate cast iron skillet bake up some cornbread to go with this



Skillet Vegetarian Lasagna

   I thought this recipe sounded really delicious. Even when I was a vegetarian for many years in the 70's and 80's I never ate vegetarian substitutions that tasted like meat-so for this recipe I would not use that but use a real protein or leave it out.  This does have allot of cheeses and for gluten free just choose gluten free pasta


  (I am always changing up recipes to my own liking-do you like to do that too?

Skillet Mac and Cheese


and to close, we need a dessert-they bake up so well and delicious in cast iron

Chocolate Skillet brownies



  Happy Cast Iron Saturdays

   (I decided to post this one a little early as I will be going to town in the morning for a few errands, and then making up foods for us and our workers-still trying to get the dock mostly finished before Memorial Day)

and a look out the window about an hour ago



Larry has watched this woodpecker in the mornings-he enjoys sitting on the deck eating his breakfast and enjoying the views. So far he is drinking the nectar and not destroying the feeders.  (they would do that at the woods house-poke holes in the sides and watch all the nectar run out lol)

21 comments:

  1. The sight of all that wonderful food is making me hungry again! I think I would enjoy a portion of each and every dish! Yummy! Lovely photos, too. I have a visiting woodpecker on my balcony, always hungry! Have a great day, take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Valerie-I thought these all looked really delicious. I think woodpeckers always do seem hungry-hugs

      Delete
  2. Once again, your culinary skills excel! Woodpeckers? We have had one “drumming” somewhere on our house each morning between 6-6:30 am. We were talking about ways to get him to move on, but for some reason it was quiet this morning. I hope he doesn’t return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that can be annoying and loud this woodpecker is coming every day now

      Delete
  3. I´d so love to visit an Amish market (do they speak German?)... and creamy cheese!!!! Yumyumyum.
    And your dish looks great.
    I agree, the substitutes for meat are mostly awful. Fell again for one a couple of weeks ago, not even worth a pic! Last bits ended in the bin, so bad it was.

    Yes! Well, I start to cook with no recipe at all - but (really!) a minute ago wrote down what I did Wednesday cause Ingo kept saying it´s sooo yummy :-)
    Ohhh, Mac and Cheese - will have to try that.

    To happy cooking, also for the workers - bet they´ll LOVE it, too few people think of this, glad you belong to the same group I do - the bird-pic is beautiful.

    Guess what Ingo just brought home?
    Post to come tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Amish do speak German-and this is an area with a large community which I loved when we were looking at this house-its about 30 minutes from us so not too bad since we live pretty rural here.
      Good for you-I kinda get ideas from recipes and that I just do it. Oh I am thinking I know what Ingo might have found in the mailbox

      Delete
    2. :-) Ingo, the mailman.

      Oh, are you allowed to take pics of the markets - if they look different, other we sure have markets here, too, of course.
      Do they have different cash-outs, clothes etc? Do men really have long beards? I saw some docus and think it might be cliché what they showed...

      Delete
    3. The Amish people do not want their picture taken so I would not even ask-but yes they do where different clothes, many use horse and buggy-there is a hitching post at our local wal mart (big box store) for them here once the men are married yes they do have beards.
      the check out is modernized

      Delete
    4. Interesting. Also with beard as sign for being married. Clever, actually, though... eeeek, Ingo with a beard, I´d run, LOL!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. thank you this woodpecker started visiting every day now

      Delete
  5. I would love some veggie lasagna, but have never heard of veggie ground sirloin substitute. Like you, I would definitely leave it out. The mac and cheese looks good, though.

    When I was outside planting seeds the other day, I heard a woodpecker for the first time ever in my neighborhood. Hope yours stays civil (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome-I love the woodpeckers Missouri has all sizes of them so far this woodpecker is very civil and hasn't destroyed the feeder yet or chased off the hummers

      Delete
  6. Hopefully the dock work is going well and will be finished soon. However, with your serving up delicious meals they may still be there on the 4th of July. I agree with Barbara, “Your culinary skills abound.” I didn’t know woodpeckers will drink nectar from feeders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha we are getting sooooo much rain here-every day again and long term looks like too much rain as well. Larry and our helper started working in the light rains. we did finally get our no wake buoy out.
      yes at the woods house they would destroy the feeders-hammer a hole into the sides-so far this one is smarter than those and drinks out of it

      Delete
  7. I love one pot meals, but not my husband. He is one of those people who eats each type of food one at a time and they can't mix on his plate. I don't get it but then he probably doesn't get me loving a good casserole or one pot dish. Your included dishes look so yummy. And I had to laugh at your red bellied woodpecker. (Why do they call them that when they don't have red bellies is what I want to know). We have them too and they act so crazy. They also have the funniest calls. Thanks for sharing this post Kathy. I really enjoyed it. Happy start to your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father was the same way as your husband-meat potatoes veggies-all seperated on the plate Mom only made us casseroles when Dad was working on Saturdays lol
      You are right and I hadn't thought about that a red bellied woodpecker with no red belly haha we love the woodpeckers we have the little downy and we also so the piliated here twice now. glad you enjoyed the post-hugs still raining here-way too much rain going on there will be floods in Missouri for sure soon-happy weekend

      Delete
    2. I was really curious now about the red bellied woodpecker-found this online

      Why is red bellied woodpecker called Red Bellied?
      Many people will ask why it's called a Red-bellied woodpecker because they fail to see the red on the belly which is a faint round spot about the size of a quarter. If you get them at your feeders watch closely and you will see the red spot. The call is distinctive and very unlike the Downy and Hairy woodpeckers.

      Delete
  8. Yummy!
    That food does look good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting food, homemade pasta sauce using fresh tomatoes is divine. Crock pots do use less electricity than ovens. It must be the length of time slow cookers are on that is the concern.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit