Thursday, May 27, 2021

Cast Iron Saturday-Memorial Day Weekend

   I can hardly believe that Memorial Day weekend is coming up-is May almost over already?? This month has really flown by.   This Saturday also brings us to another Cast Iron Saturday recipe share. I am posting early this week.

   We don't usually do allot for Memorial Day-party wise-since this is the weekend to remember our fallen. It is more about them then opening up summer with big parties.  However, this year especially since we have been more isolated than we usually are, and the dock is getting closer to the finish-at least the two docks are welded together now so will be able to handle the rough water coming in from this very busy "at the lake" weekend--Larry wants picnic foods with a handful of people-mostly for our helpers with the dock project.

   I decided to buy a large pork Boston butt  and roast it in a large cast iron dutch oven in my oven on Sunday early-and then once roasted and cooled down will shred it all for pulled pork mini sandwiches. I will bbq half of it and the other half will add mild spicy peppers, onions etc. I picked up swiss cheese and provolone cheese slices to go with these mini sandwiches-or sliders some call them.

  Not sure what else I will make-probably devil eggs as the guys always love those, and probably spiced up baked beans.

   And speaking of baked beans I found this recipe for Quick Cast Iron Beans from Country living  I have a couple different sizes of cast iron deep pans like a sauce pan that are perfect for grilling up beans too



Recipe for Dutch Oven Pulled Pork



Recipe for Roasted Corn on the Cob in Dutch Oven with cilantro lime butter.

         This was a neat way to roast your corn


For another side option I thought this recipe sounded really good 

      Bacon Brussel Sprouts


For dessert-Red White and Blue Cast Iron Cobbler  from Kingsford

   These types of cobblers in cast iron are really popular with the guys especially


  Wishing you a Happy Weekend, if in the States-a Memorial Day Weekend

Any plans for your weekend??

18 comments:

  1. I will definitely be making the blueberry cobbler. It's the coconut that caught my attention! I may play around with my own jiffy cake mix made with almond flour. I always bake cobblers in cast iron. I am glad to know that the welding together of the docks is finished. I do think that calls for a party. I was quite surprised to find special mail in our box today and I just loved it. What fun to think about butterflies and hearts falling from the sky! :~) I finished mowing the first yard, then started on the second one but big drops of rain began to fall, so I headed home. Now, it is all sunshine and breezy. I am undecided if I should go back and try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary I like cobblers like this too-yes you can always play around with the cake part. Glad you were able to get out and mow a bit-we got allot of rain today-don't push yourself-hugs

      Delete
  2. The food looks so yummy. Grilled corn is delicious. And everything else looks so good too. Our weather isn't looking very nice for the entire weekend. Hope yours is better and enjoy some really good food. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, the storms are suppose to move out of the area by tomorrow-so the rest of the weekend looks great

      Delete
    2. Your food looks sooooooooo good, wish I lived nearer! Enjoy your weekend, have fun and stay safe, hugs Valerie

      Delete
    3. Thanks Valerie-I wish you could stop by too there will be plenty of food

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so tasty. I have a recipe for baked beans, but mine takes about 12 hours. Sure not like your quick version. I'm so glad that you are fixing something for the people who are helping you with the dock. I know your husband can't do it by himself anymore, so this is a nice way for him to show his appreciation. I've never tried cilantro butter, but have made dill butter on more than one occasion. Thanks for sharing these recipes, Kathy. Hope your weekend is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth-I love the longer slow cook baked beans too. My Aunt always made the best ever beans.
      I do cook the helpers a meal when they are here working-but this way they can relax, eat, and fish off the dock-watch fireworks
      You have a wonderful weekend too-hugs

      Delete
  4. Ohhh, can I come over?
    Sadly Brussels Sprout time is over here. But I´ll remember this for next season!
    Enjoy your meals. Plans over here, hahaha... funny you.
    Well at least the weather is getting a wee bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you two can come over-hugs-there will be plenty of food and you can throw a fishing line in off the dock.
      we still can get nice fresh brussel sprouts in the grocery stores-don't know where they are getting them now.
      the storm was not too bad yesterday but will be much cooler again in the mid 60's F
      enjoy your weekend

      Delete
    2. :-) Invent beaming, we´ll be there!
      Oh, I could get Brussels Sprouts frozen, I guess!

      Delete
  5. i do like the ideas you have for your picnic. It all sounds delicious. I love corn-on-the cob and that grilled corn is something I can try out even though I don't have any cast iron utensils. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought this was a neat way to roast the corn any heavy pan will work many wrap them up in the foil and throw in a bed of coals if you are cooking outdoors

      Delete
  6. Oh My! My mouth is watering, good job we eat soon! I had never baked beans before this year - so satisfying! We are using a griddle pan on the cooker top for many of our veggies these days! Take care, Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we really love beans too-and so many different ones to try with different seasonings too. griddle pan perfect for veggies-hugs

      Delete
  7. Love those recipes...have a wonderful Memorial Day. I hope your hubby is feeling all better...A letter is coming your way soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks-yes he is feeling better-now worries with the slow mail-hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit