Monday, August 26, 2019

T Stands for Tuesday & September 2018 Fabric Journal Page

   Hello everyone,
       Tuesday brings us to our T party with hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. Find link in my right hand column, and you are most welcome to join us just share a photo of your beverage.

    First of all I wanted to thank all of you that commented comfort and support in the tragic death of Miss Calico. It has been very difficult for us, with everything else happening here this was one more stressful event. Life sometimes throws so much at us that we must be strong to come out ok on the other end of it all.

  That evening before I had posted a video of my completed craft room and that evening I was so excited to dig out everything for my 2018 Fabric Journal. I finished the embroidery around the edges for September and the next morning I looked at my calendar notes and started finding things for the month. I stopped to make us our 2pm meal and that's when the tragedy occured. Saturday I spent most of the day in my craft room-I was tired but I needed to get my mind on something else. Arts and crafts are excellent therapy tools.

   Sunday, I ventured out for the first time by myself and headed north 20 minutes to the Wal Mart in Versailles, Missouri. This is a pretty drive, very very rural farm and Amish area, and the drive also goes next to the lake in a conservation area for boating.  I took my time going through the food aisles to see what they had. Actually I like this store-allot of healthy food choices low carbs-keto-gluten free etc. Nice produce too. It is an older store and smaller-I am thinking some day they will probably upgrade this one.
   These were items I spotted right away-had not seen no sugar added dark chocolate chips before or espresso powder which is in several recipes I have seen but never saw it in a store before-also these cool marshmallows gluten free and a little better ingredients although they still have sugar.
   There are two small local stores in the town south of our lake house-they are similiar in distance but the prices are just too expensive unless I just want to get a couple things-as much as I don't like doing major shopping at Wal mart stores they are more economical and have better choices-especialy when living rural like we do.




Sunday was a long busy day, and in the evening I watched a Hallmark series that started up again and then finished my September Fabric Page.  This one ended up with lots of interesting elements. Metal-leather-hand dyes-beads-tea bags-paper-plastic-wool-cotton -stamping-rubbing-a little of everything


Tea bag and remember this cow from the cream bottle?-I had to save it-was made with thin plastic (a drink reference-the tea pot and cup, tea bag)



I did another 3 mile walk-this time I cut "me" out in leather-glued it down, along with leather hair and hat


This cross stitch was a recycled piece-you can see the date 2008-a neighbor friend made coasters for gifts one year. She cross stitched four different leaves, glued to a thick cardboard circle which I was able to peal off, and it went inside plastic pieces which came apart too-they were well worn but I was able to save two of them for crafts


the moon is made from the last of the wild grasses that I had made paper with-I just smooshed the last of it into this circle-decided it was perfect for the harvest moon. I glued down onto the hand dyed by me recycled coat lining


We went to our friend's daughter's wedding. was held outdoors, brides colors were purple and gold, and many danced through the night-not us lol


This is another of my hand dyed cottons that I did a rubbing over one of those plastic templates for marking leather-it worked out well-I did this one years ago. This glossy paper with the goldenrod I saved because I have done allot of dyeing with it, it blooms late August into September. There are always little flying bugs in the flowers


When we were moving I found a sack of metal and wooden objects of camping, wildlife, fishing poles etc.



If you look close on the tan squares you will see hand stitches with embroidery thread. I randomly over the two pages did rows of stitches-to try and bring it all together more. I seem to have allot of seperate elements on my journal pages-but I do try to overlap when I can.


and another drink reference-a cup of hot tea sitting on my work desk


I have a question-at the lake house most of the basement is sitting on huge slabs of this slate rock. We have also found several smaller pieces like this one around the house.  I brought one in to paint a marker for our Miss Calico--Would acrylic or oil paints work for this?-and then what would I finish it with so it can handle the weather outdoors-thanks



Happy T everyone!!  Tuesday morning I have a dentist check up so if I don't visit Monday evening I will visit later Tuesday.

20 comments:

  1. Happy T day Kathy. I enjoyed seeing your journal again. It has been awhile. Espresso powder really makes chocolate baking taste even better. Just a bit will pop that flavor. I haven't seen it in our grocery store but I have bought it online. Happy T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about miss Calico dear Kathy. I must have been away and missed it. It's always so very heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. You did well in keeping busy and creative despite your loss. It does help. As for your slab and painting- I have done similar, used acrylic paints, and then applied several coats of Patio Paint (they come in 2 oz bottles like craft paints and they are by Plaid I believe) Things have held up quite well. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are keeping busy in spite of your loss. Your work table is looking good. Looks like you have it set up for working. Your lovely fabric journal is taking shape nicely. I really like your treatment of the fish and pole. It's turning out great.

    As for your slab, I've also used patio paint, but didn't start with acrylics, since that's what (Plaid)( patio paints are. Unless I misunderstood what Linda was meaning, that is. Although I use patio paint mostly in my art journals, I've used it on rocks and other projects. However, I have always finished with two coats of clear varnish just to make sure.

    Sounds like you found a great WalMart to buy groceries. I never think to shop at WalMart because I have an Aldi and a Dillon's (Kroger bought it years ago) across the street from each other in the neighborhood.

    You have lots of drink references today, Kathy, from the Espresso powder to the tea bags to your mug of tea. Thanks for sharing these with us for T this Tuesday as well as your art and your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new fabric journal page is great. Great you are settling in to the lake house in spite of Miss Calico's sad end. Have fun painting the rock. Glad you are able to access a big store with a good choice of items. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. seeing you work in your fabric journal is wonderful!! xox and happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see you staying busy with art, Kathy. I’ve always been interested in pursuing a career (too late now! haha) in Art Therapy. I learned that value of creative art while in college. I’m getting back into a little Tea Bag Art myself, so I was happy to see that on your journal page. With your “mini-me” taking that 3 mile walk toward the tea bag, my mind saw mountains in the tea lines. I’m alwayys looking for images in tea bags. Your work desk space is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree creating art is a good way to shut out what has been happening in real life. Time will heal Kathy, and you will keep the good memories of Miss Calico.
    I loved seeing your fabric collage pieces, they are looking fantastic.
    The large super markets are so tempting with the variety of things on sale
    its good to try something new now and again.
    Happy T day wishes Kathy.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Patio paints work very well and you should be able to find an exterior clear finish in the same area as the Patio Paints or close by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Art therapy is the best! Your fabric pages look amazing, you have captured so many happy memories, I love the cross stitch and cow images 😁. With regard to painting rocks, acrylics will work - prime the rock with clear gesso, apply acrylic paint, and then seal with outdoor varnish or outdoor Modge Podge. Take care and Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so many wonderful elements to add to your fabric journal. I love how you record events and activities in your journal.
    Art is so therapeutic and healing when going through a loss. Sorry to hear about Miss Calico.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've used permanent marker on rocks when the rock-painting craze was strong here. It weathers well and doesn't require sealing, and the tips of the markers they recommended came in varying widths.

    It'll be a comfort, I think, to have a place of memorial for Miss Calico.

    Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun fabric journal! I am so sorry about Miss Calico. I hope you continue to enjoy working on your fabric journal. It is so creative. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear about Miss Calico, Kathy. I hadn't heard. Our fur babies are truly our babies.

    Your September(?) fabric page is fabulous. So many fun elements to love - like the S'mores thingy and the fishing pole.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The fabric journal looks awesome. As to the rock project, I would go with acrylic paints .you can then try a marine strength clear waterproof sealer. You can find it in a spray can. I would test the. Paints and sealer on another piece of rock just to be sure things worked. I painted some wooden blocks with acrylics and found the sealer made some of them run. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loss is so hard. Hold close those memories...they will bring you joy.
    I am not a big marshmallow fan but that bag makes me want to pop it open for a nibble.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your art project looks nice. I'm glad you were able to do something to help take your mind off of your loss. That slate slab will make a nice grave marker for Miss Calico. I don't know enough about paints to offer any guidance on what is best to use.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed looking at your current work in your journal. It must take quite a bit of time. Sorry to hear of your loss of Calico I turn to art when I'm distressed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Miss Calico. I had no idea. But I found your previous blog and read all about it. How awful. She will be missed. It's good that you can make a plaque for her as a marker where she is buried.That will look good. Just the fact that you can bury her is a comfort. (It's not allowed here)
    Your September project has turned out great. I remember seeing it when you started.Doing something arty does take your mind off things doesn't it.
    Thinking of you,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like your fabric journal page.

    Pleased to read you have a good store locally with a good choice of items, this is always so helpful.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. OOhh that´s a good dark chocolatge sure. I love your Art page kathy, it´s really Amazing, so interesting elements, embellishments, and lots of creativity. Fantastic !
    I wish you a very nice weekend, enjoy, and big hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit