Tuesday, August 13, 2019

T Stands for Tuesday & Coffee

  Hi everyone, I am later than I like to post so this will be a short one.
      Tuesdays is where we get together and share a drink related post with friends.  You are most welcome to join us at our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth-find link in my right hand column.

  I knew Monday could probably be a long day back at the woods home, as I had an appt. with the Sears repair service for my washing machine-and they won't give you any idea when they are coming-just 8am to 5pm.  So I left Hubs home at the lake house so he could take their phone call (no phone service at the woods any more-and if you don't answer they don't come out) and I drove down early so I would be there by 8 am.

   I did some cleaning in the kitchen-mostly my two Norwalk dehydrators (which are now called Excalibur)  I am keeping one and we will give one to a friend. These are 40 plus years old and still work great-I used to run both at the same time and pretty much get most of a  bushel of sliced fruit between the two of them. Now these are more pricey but they are the best on the market in my opinion-mine are not as fancy as these newer ones.
   These sat on top of the refrigerator-easy to use-but next to the big stove so they had gotten a greasy film on them-so I had a job with cleaning everything.
    Here in the states they have been running a Dawn dish soap commercial that says it will cut through tough grease-even greasy tools and tires. So I gave it a go as my spray kitchen bleach solution did nothing to cut the grease. Wow I am very impressed-it did a fantastic job and with no harsh chemicals-so wanted to share that. I pretty much only use baking soda, vinegar, and borax to clean my house with. Although for the tile floors I do like the swiffer instead of sitting on the floor to scrub.

   The Sears guy did not arrive til 4:30 He managed to manually get all that water out-and lots of things are broken. I have needed to purchase a repair agreement all these years do to their computer boards are super expensive. This is the 4th one since 2005-he had a whole list of parts that he needed-all covered-so this washer will be working good for the next owners.

    I have been wanting to bring the commercial coffee pot up to the lake house. It is filled with water (I use distilled) so it is always hot for coffee or teas. Just pour threw the top and it pushes the hot water through instantly. We love these machines as Hubs drinks a pot a day, and was great when we had sleep over company. I can also make me a pot of my beverage as there is a warmer on top.  So I did that yesterday. Hubs wanted to pour off the water I did not want to do that-so I found that this would fit perfectly into a cooler and I did not lose a drop of water-yeah.
  Now getting it down the stairs at the lake house was fun but I did it.
and it fits perfectly next to these upper kitchen cabinets and to the right is the sink.


Here is the view outside this window-you can see Miss Calico sleeping


I have been really enjoying my decaf. coffee. This week before I brought down the coffee pot, I make Hubs in the china pour over, and mine in my french press.
    That blue pottery cup brings back memories. In the late 70's when I lived in Denver Colorado, I would sometimes eat at this restaurant that was christian based. They grew most of the food served, made the handmade pottery dishes too and you could buy them as well. I bought four of these cups and four of their soup mugs.
   They had helped me so much back then, My little sister was killed by a drunk driver while she was on vacation when we lived there.  While I was waiting to get my transfer with the phone company back home to Indiana I would eat at that restaurant. One of the waitress's saw me holding back tears-and she just helped me get through things.  (was not planning on sharing all of this but my fingers just typed away-these cups remind me of good times back then and the comfort I received).



I have lost 15 pounds and keeping it off-but am at a stand still again not losing any more weight that last couple of weeks. My goal is 10 more pounds to get me back to around 135 pounds-see how I feel and drop back to 130 which I would love to get to eventually

When I am not eating eggs for breakfast I am enjoying greek yogurt with fruit or a jam with no additional sugars. This one is soooo delicious. I found it in West Yellowstone two years ago and now buy it online.



Happy T everyone!!

16 comments:

  1. Great informative post. What a memory when you use that cup. Hugs.
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I know where it went. I found it. Just saying. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got the washer all sorted out and especially that it didn't cost you because you had the extended warranty. Very smart. Your hand made mugs are beautiful. What bittersweet memories. I love that a kind hearted stranger took the time to try and ease your pain. I wonder when you'll finally be all moved into one house. Your saga makes me think of T-lady Deb and the years they've spent doing renovations on their new home.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had a very busy week again. Glad you got the washer sorted out - we always have to wait ages for repair people or delivery people here, too. And I LOVE your coffee machine, wow, what a treasure! Glad you lost weight, no wonder where you are working so hard. Look after yourself, happy T day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is good to just let one's fingers fly. Good memories like those you have from the special restaurant should be kept alive. I like the view through the window; looks like Miss Calico has adjusted well. I am looking forward to more views through more windows. Take care and enjoy those beverages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I am so glad you shared this back story about the bowls and mugs that mean so very much to you. That is a wonderful, wonderful story that brings a tear to my eyes, too.

    Scott has one of those coffee makers, too. You are right. They are heavy (and expensive). When my coffee maker quit working, he brought his over and gave it to me. However, I didn't like it, couldn't find a place for it, so went out and bought a new Black and Decker, only the second one I've owned since I first set up house. They last forever, too!!!! I was looking at your photo, and I don't have the window space you have. I also needed a three prong outlet, which whoever the man was who built my kitchen, decided I didn't need. Scott's is a Bunn, though. I checked Amazon and the upper and lower warmer like you an Scott have are now going for around $325.00. I can't believe he was going to give it to me. I have no idea what he paid for his, but he's had it for quite a few years.

    My friend Joseph gave me a French press like yours. I used it twice and hated it. I hate cleaning the grounds out of the press. They don't call it a PRESS for no reason (grin). Gave it back to him when he moved to CA.

    Good for you for losing weight. Sometimes our bodies just have to catch up to the weight loss. Before you know it, you will lose another pound or two.

    Thanks for sharing your week, your memories of the mug, and your two coffee containers with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott's Bunn heats water, too. He likes scalding HOT coffee, and I am not a fan of scalding hot coffee. That's why he bought a Bunn. He says you don't have to wait for the water to heat. It perks and fills the glass container faster than my Black and Decker, that's for sure.

      Delete
  6. Staying busy, I see. Be comforted by the memories you are unearthing by moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you got the washer fixed, even though he didn't show up until the end of the day. (Isn't that always the way?) Good to know about the Dawn dish soap being able to cut through grease. Your commercial coffee maker looks great, and handy to have. Miss Calico seems to have settled in nicely: she really likes those stairs. I am so sorry to hear about your little sister in the late 70s. How kind of the waitress to see your distress, and help you during that difficult time. Congratulations on the weight loss. Awhile ago I found a website that lets you calculate how many calories per day to eat, to lose weight, and the formula is based on your weight, so as you lose weight, you need to recalculate the calories, because they need to be reduced more, so that you keep losing weight. (I meant to add those links to my blog, so now that I've remembered, I'll do that now.) Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. the link is "The Calorie Maintenance Level Calculator" http://www.acaloriecounter.com/calculator.php

    If you eat 20% below the calorie maintenance level per day, it will result in a moderate weight loss. (Of course, please consult a Doctor before following my advice. I saw this information on a few websites. It worked well for me when I was trying to lose weight. Unfortunately, then I stopped paying attention to my diet, and now I need to lose weight again. But I added the links to my blog, so I can find them easily now.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy thank you for this post and for sharing your memories, it is hard to put things into words that mean so much to us.
    Your washing machine repair sounds like it could have been expensive if you didn't have repair insurance.
    Miss Calico seems to have settled well in the lake house, its a lovely photo.
    Well done with your weight loss, you have been so busy in the past months with your house move.
    Happy T day wishes.
    YVonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That blue cup is lovely and I enjoyed hearing the story behind it.
    Sounds like you have been busy cleaning up your appliances. I have a friend that sells Norwex but I had no idea that they sold dehydrators. I thought they were just sold cleaning items.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew! Glad you got the washer sorted out. Too bad Sears made you wait all day. Wish they would narrow their window down to a couple of hours. Your little cup holds lots of memories. How thoughtful of the waitress to help you through a difficult time. Congrats on your weight loss! Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like that washer issue has been quite an ordeal, glad it is finally done! What a bittersweet memory of those cups, so sorry you lost your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What, no phone at the Lake House?! interesting...will you be working on that? Beautiful handmade mug, and precious memories. it's amazing how God puts people in our way when we need them. Sounds like an awesome restaurant. Good for you losing weight! keep going... you must have cut back on cooking all those desserts in your ironstone pot? ;) happy T day a bit late!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cup is beautiful, and hearing the memories that wash over you when you use it reminds me of how tangible items can put us right in a moment from the past.

    I don't drink much coffee each day, so a machine like yours would be wasted on me, but it's perfect for y'all and you have the perfect place for it. Sweet! We have a french press, but I prefer the pourover when I'm just making a single cup.

    I lost 10 pounds when I had my concussion, but I don't recommend it lol I saw an article recently on what to do when you reach a weight loss plateau, and they recommended cutting carbs just 5-10 grams. I'm also on the intermittent fasting bandwagon, not for weight loss, but it's being recommended by some doctors my friends see for weight loss. It sounds like you've accomplished a lot already on your current plan :)

    Happy T Day here on Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOh you have been very busy Kathy and also that you have lost weight, that ´s fantastic. Love your cup, it´s very beautiful. Hope you had a happy T-day.
    I wish you a very nice Friday, and send you big hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit