Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Have Any of You Made Black Walnut Ink??

  This has been on my to do list for awhile. When we first moved here to the woods we had two black walnut trees close to the house.  I had gathered lots of nuts, but at the time did not save the husks for the dye or ink.  They quit producing soon after.
  Last year I bought a book on making your own artists brushes, inks, paints. It is packed away at the moment but in there was the black walnut ink.

  I noticed last time I was up at the lake-now that the trees are leafing out-I think most of the trees on our lake property are either black walnuts or hickory -hoping for black walnuts.

  I looked online and there are many diy's on how to make it.

Here is one  and here too   and another one that shows it also as a dye on fabric.     This is for sure a messy project and I would do this outdoors over a fire pit like the first link shows. Also be sure to wear good gloves as black walnut will stain your hands for a very long time.
     I found a huge feather-perfect for using with ink-that Hubs thinks is from a vulture.  Sounds like a fun project for sure

Here are a few photos I found on the web
   Some use the whole nut with the husk dried on to it-which is what my dye instructor last year July did, others take the husk off and dry it and then boil down.  I thought it was a good idea to add alcohol to the ink when finished to help preserve it.
 

Image result for making black walnut ink photos

The black walnut gives a lovely brown dye

Image result for making black walnut ink photos

Image result for making black walnut ink photos

I also found this photo tutorial here  and some additional information here

9 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I made some brown ink 2 years back using a jar of ancient instant coffee from a neighbour, iron scrapings and oxen-gall, it turned out well, too. Have fun, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walnut ink is really stunning. I have used it but never made it. The house where I grew up had black walnuts not now I only get acorns. I wonder if you can dye with them? Hope the move is going well kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to make black walnut ink, but have NO access to black walnut trees. I hope you find some of those trees on your new property and can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend who made black walnut ink. She said the process smelled to high heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too much for me, Kate, as I really do not like this mess. But I know that some people in Greece (mainly 50 years ago) used this ink to dye their hair. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little patio sports a young dogwood and an even younger redbud, so I'm no help here. I do look forward to seeing what you end up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea! It will be fun to get messy and make your own ink, it looks fabulous on the photos too 😊. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your walnut ink feathers are really cool, Kathy! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit