Saturday, May 18, 2019

Cast Iron Collection

  Of course we have a very large cast iron collection. 😃

   We had picked up pieces in the early years of our marriage, mostly at farm sales and garage sales, a few flea markets. We only buy vintage, with the exception of a few Lodge USA pieces.
  I have never had a good place for my collection. Allot of it has been stored in an outdoor shed or garage over the years. So some of it needs to be scrubbed down with fine steel wool to get the rusty spots off and re season.
  We had a big discussion that I could not keep all of it-sigh-I understand really I do but I compromised suggesting that I was looking for a  heavy duty wire shelving that will hold at least 800 pounds per shelf-and would take only what I can store there with a few pieces I use every day in the kitchen oven. Hubs agreed to that.
  This home in the woods has really never gotten finished to our liking, mostly do to Hub's poor health and going back to work when the economy crashed back in '08. That really hurt our retirement-but then it hurt all of us in one way or the other. So since we have always in the past enjoyed flea markets and sales and with Hubs keen eye on vintage-well we ended up with too much clutter. So I understand he wants to do away with most of the clutter but still have a home that is homey and easier to clean. I am sure the Property Brothers would go nuts with our collectibles lol.

  I just took a few photos-please excuse all the dust. So far this is what I want to fit on those shelves. In the kitchen I do still have around 6 or 8 more pieces I use every day.

These were quite a find and the three lamb molds are three different sizes and we bought them from someone selling them at a garage sale that were their Grandparent's pieces.  So no I don't want to part with these yet. A few months ago I finally found a recipe for these cast iron lamb molds.  I have tried several times with pound cake recipes and just never worked-so hoping to do that one of these days.
  On the top left is a vintage chocolate candy mold-I may do some research on value and sell that one-maybe lol


Close up of rabbit candy mold


This is pretty much all of it except for the two large Lodge dutch ovens, and the ones in the kitchen


I remember when we bought these pans which I thought looked like soap molds-perfect size for soap. We bought them at a house estate sale and was told they were all primitives USA pieces.  The heart pan was unusual and has a different marking on the back, the top piece is upside down and has tall legs-perfect for over the fire


These small pieces are salesman's samples and the upside down one has the legs too. Under that is a corn bread pan and under that is another more rare piece for corn sticks or bread sticks I also saved one fish shapes cornbread pan from Lodge.


Waffle iron I did sell one large cast iron waffle pan on Ebay-that one was designed to cook over a wood cookstove-or outdoors over a fire-it had a deep base that it sat on  That blue enameled cupcake pan is a newer piece but I always loved it.


Numerous dutch oven type pans with lids, I love that taller sauce pan with lid in the back-perfect for beans over the fire. The larger piece in the middle is hand hammered copper  and I use that square pan for brownies


My newest pieces the two lodge dutch ovens with legs-for cooking-baking outdoors over fire. The two water steamers need a good cleaning, one for each of our woodstoves here in the woods-my favorite is the one with the bear on top-My Mom bought me that one for Christmas one year. In the back right is a vintage piece.  We have a large woodstove up at the lake house too.


  I have about this much cast iron left over to put in the auction, so I have really cut back-thinking on what I would use as well.  This move has really been difficult for me-but I am getting there.  Deep down I am just not ready to leave things behind where as Hubs is ready for it now. 
    Once moved I know it will all be ok in the end.

14 comments:

  1. You have a great collection. I understand why you don't want to part with any of it. (I'm the same way with stuff I have.) But I also understand if you're moving into a smaller space, you don't have room for all of it, which is hard. (And yes, the economy crash in 2008 was bad for many of us.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that economy crash was really life changing I think for most people no matter your age. I felt sorry for those that graduated college and there were no jobs-that was really bad too-
      yep I am too connected with all of my things-I guess that is a bad thing-My craft room will again be too cramped but I am just not ready to downsize any of it yet-
      Have a good weekend

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous collection Kathy. I know what you mean about not be ready. I can understand that. There are things we can let go of and things we can't. And sometimes half of a couple is at a different point. That has to be hard. I always worry I will get rid of something I will want later on. That is such a touch thing to know, isn't it? I hope you make it through this move. It sounds pretty traumatic in some ways. And good luck with the rest of your cleaning. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your collection is amazing, Kathy. I understand perfectly why you want to keep all these lovely things. Right now I am trying to clean my 3 bookshelves because I need more space to put some other things, but it is really difficult for me to give my books. Hugs, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection. You have some really old pieces. I would also not part with the molds. I know you have given lots of thought to this and will make the right choices in what to keep and what to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always hard to part with things we have collected and which we love. Hope you can decide which pieces you can keep and be more or less contented. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a woman in my little town who started a business using antique candy molds to make chalkware Christmas ornaments. Look up Vaillancourt Folk Art.

    I have an aluminum lamb pan that uses boxes cake mix to bake the cake. The Eldest's dearest cuddly was a lamb my dad gave her when she was born. My lambie cakes always came out looking a little more like puppies :-D I love the blue cupcake pan. As blue is my favorite color I wouldn't part with that one either.

    So hard to let go of things. But take pictures of them and you'll be able to go back and look at them, remember them without all the cleaning and storage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your collection is amazing! I miss using my cast iron since getting the glass top stove but I refuse to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite the collection. I love your idea of keeping what you can put on the shelving. It'll be visible that way without being clutter. Paring down a collection is _hard_!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy you have a wonderful collection of cooking pots. It must be so difficult to choose which ones to keep and which ones its time to let go.
    I hope as the time draws nearer for you to move, you will a collection of these wonderful pots that you feel happy to have in the new home. The ones you have picked out to keep in the photos you shared are very special to you and look super.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are going to hate this, but my cast iron lamb mold sits on my front porch and weighs down fabric I'm painting or dyeing. You have a super collection and if I were into cast iron like you are and have been for so long, I would have trouble getting rid of it, too. Sort of like asking me to get rid of even ONE of my rocking horses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a fantastic collection and here people pay much money on fleamarkets for such special pieces as it is very popular as deco here ! Can't understand that it is not easy to part with this beauties!

    Gorgeous!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an amazing collection Kathy!

    Two years into our retirement, we lost a lot of our retirement funds inn the dot.com crash. We had to go back to work too. It sure was a shock but we got through it.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit