Friday, April 15, 2022

Thursday Watercolor Practice Update & Ramblings (Long)

 First of all, for those of you that celebrate Passover and Easter, I am wishing you all a happy holiday this weekend.

 When we lived at our woods home we had friends that would invite us over for big holiday dinners, along with other friends of theirs and everyone would bring sides. I miss that sometimes, but then when we are there neither of us can eat most of the foods that are shared any more-dietary concerns, so then I don't miss that part so much, and since covid we have become very isolated from people now.  Which is probably not a good thing. I do all the food shopping and errands so Larry can stay away from people. I am also so glad we chose Not to get those covid booster shots as I am reading more and more evidence that those are causing major health issues for heart patients. 

  I think I am feeling down a bit too as I realize we are getting older (mid 70's) and I am just really feeling old this week. Never have really thought of running out of time before-but I won't have another 50 years left any more (well you know what I mean, we never know how much life time we will have but since I am in my mid 70's  I know I don't have Lot's of years or quality years left) , so that has been on my mind.  

   I find myself a bit down, which doesn't happen too often for me.  I am just sharing some of my thoughts tonight.  

  The weather has been gloomy and just blah most of this week and it continues for several more days. We both over worked ourselves handling those heavy concrete blocks for the dock. There are still a few more loads to move.  I have about 5 more days of the steroids for the episode getting in to stuff, and like last year during the last week of taking the pills-they make me really sick. I am finally getting better thank goodness, but I still get woken up early mornings with the burning on my arms. This is worse than just poison ivy-sigh. It will pass eventually. Patience.

  I have realized this evening, that I must go through my craft-art room. It is a very small room considering how much  I have crammed in there. It is time to think seriously what I can declutter. I just was not ready to do any of that when we moved off of the woods land. I have just about everything I have collected for my arts and crafts since the late '60's As I add in more mediums-well I just have more items haha  I also have items from family sewing rooms-both Grandmothers, my Mom and my late sister that passed way too young-right after graduating college.

   I still have many bags of fleece to spin-they have all been washed-dried and are stored in cloth bags with tansy and lavender. I need to see if I can sell those on Etsy. It is difficult to sell craft books, but I need to see if I can do that as well. I enjoyed spinning, but I am just not good at it, have not mastered finer yarn as of yet. I will finish spinning up my bison roving which I love working with and decide what to weave with it.

  Larry found me this awesome very large vintage oak desk that was a work desk of some sort as the top is a hard rubber. I have enjoyed this desk for over 15 years now.  I keep it covered with very large quilt cutting mats. (as I am writing this I am thinking I may just take those quilt mats off to keep those nicer. I am not cutting fabrics as much as I used to) 

    

  I do allot at this desk including painting, and now writing my slow mail letters here too. It was so cluttered with stuff that I removed allot of it to make more space. Paints to the right, pens, markers etc, writing materials, a tin full of papers for journal pages to the left. In the back is some fun pieces-some gifts some vintage etc. 

  To the left of this desk is my sewing table and sewing machine. Behind this desk and sewing area are four large steamer trunks two placed side by side and then two more backed to those that are packed with felted wool fabrics, weaving yarn etc.       Behind the sewing table and under another window on that left wall is a huge vintage trunk full of leather scraps and large pieces. In front of that is my farm girl Grandmas standing embroidery-sewing box that is filled with beads now. Next to that a floor to ceiling commercial shelving unit full of dye materials and soap making supplies. 

   That brings us to the wall with the entry door to the far left. That wall also has large commercial shelving units filled with fabrics, bags of silk, linen, embroidery, vintage buttons, and more plus paper making supplies and one shelf full of weaving magazines, and other saved craft magazines that I use for reference and also hardcover reading books. On the floor there in the corner are big baskets of spinning items which didn't fit in my computer room, and more paper making supplies etc.

  I could really have used a large room like our friend Deb has. haha and I have not even mentioned the little closet with steps to the attic to the right of my desk-that I will work on first for decluttering. Also next to my desk to the right in the corner wall is a wooden file cabinet filled with craft art literature, and on top is a vintage metal eye glass cabinet that is the perfect height for my wooden stamp collection.



 
    This vintage cabinet is to the right of this desk on a different wall, (next to the closet)  and the top is covered with mixed media and watercolor papers, I grabbed Larry's vintage cigar boxes-he was going to sell them-for my colored pencils, etc. I snuck these in so I don't think he has seen them yet (smiles)   I just couldn't let those go when they are perfect for storing. One has my calligraphy dip pens in it too.   What a cluttered mess this space is. I am not used to this much clutter sitting around.

  Something I learned today:  Doing some research on the watercolor inks and inks in general I looked up how to keep ink from drying out in the bottles. For my dip pen I have been using these vintage crystal ink pots with silver tops-but they are not air tight, and my India ink is getting dried out and thick between usages.  So I learned  ink in little glass bottles should be kept in their little boxes, and then placed in another wooden box or a drawer. So I am using a plastic craft box I found in my stash and placed that box into one of these wooden drawers in this cabinet. I did purchase a quality India black ink from Japan that I am using and it comes in plastic bottles that I am not having any drying issues with.

  My big purge yesterday was to purge all of the Outlander books including all of the Lord John books as well, and put them on Ebay to sell.  I have read the first four books and have had difficulty getting into the next book-I have started several times to get into that one. The author is a gifted writer, very detailed as she does mountains of research for these books-but the stories can be very dark and can get into allot of violence. I am not liking the story line in the Outlander tv show this season at all-that was a push for me to box these up and get them up for sale. 

  Ok if you are still with me, this morning I played with  my watercolor page more this mornng. I decided to add some spring flowers to my bunny page and used this lesson page as a guide



    I did have fun with this, as I mixed up my colors. I used my dip pen and black India ink for the lines on the flowers and the leaves. I outlined the leaves with a green watercolor ink, and also used that green watercolor ink in the grass too.  I then wet my page for the background and mixed up a very light blue (thanks from the tips for a couple of friends comments)
  As I had mentioned in my last post I am working in a mixed media notebook, instead of on watercolor papers, so I can not get the paper as wet, but I think since these are really for practice and to get more comfortable with watercolors I will stick with this notebook for a bit longer.



So looking at these practice pages-they looked perfect to tear out of my mixed media paper spiral notebook, fold them in half and turn them into cards for my slow mail friends.  This way they will have a purpose and not just sitting in a notebook. They will be fun to write in too, and hopefully my slow mail friends will like them.


  Thanks for dropping by Have a good weekend

28 comments:

  1. This post is right down my alley. I love snooping around in another’s work spaces. Lucky are the friends who will receive one of your hand painted cards. I was so impressed with your practice lessons that I snagged a used copy of the book on eBay. It came in today’s mail but I haven’t had time to look at it yet. I could write a book relating to this post, but will save some comments for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, This room just got me as a very cluttered situation haha time to make some changes during the cold and wet days.
      I am so glad you found this book, I found a used copy too online when I bought this one. hugs

      Delete
  2. I bet everyone will love those watercolor cards! Speaking of tips.. If you know you plan on tearing a page out of the book you might tear it out to start with and tape it to the table your working on . Go around the edges with Art Tape. That will give you a nice clean edge AND help stop the paper from buckling..

    Clutter like that can really get me down.. I bet it just feels overwhelming every time you walk in there.. I made some hard choices and hard decisions when we moved from AR to TX.. I had to force myself to decide if i really saw myself completing a project or not.. If not i had to let it go.. Sometimes i can hang on to a project for YEARS and sometimes the feeling to complete it is still there and sometimes my interests have moved on.. The sky is not going to fall if i decide i no longer want to do something.. Thats my pep talk to myself..lol

    Hubs and i miss very much going to 'get togethers' at his moms house.. Alot of food friends and family.. everybody brought something.. Our food issues are not acute.. so we do indulge on Holidays..

    I'm so sorry that your down Kathy. Thoughts on our own mortality can really get one down.. To realize you have fewer years left than what you have already lived.. Makes you take stock on how you want to live those remaining years.. That train of thought helps me decide what i want to hang on in the craftroom.. Our mortality was really brought home with hubbys heart issues.. He seems to be doing wonderful but you never know when the tide will turn.. I can get very anxious about it. But i do my best to keep that down and enjoy the time we have... Sometimes i find it hard to let him out of my sight.. Like today he's out there playing golf.. But i can't be that way.. I have to go let him live.. Just some days are difficult..

    As we get older i find there is no one to help us.. Like putting that shop up.. No friends or family to help and no help we can afford.. So we do it ourselves.. probably stuff we have no business doing.. but we do it.. and pay for it afterwards with aches and pains etc.. Just as long as nobody gets hurt.. I hope you get to feeling better Kathy with your rash.. that would drive me nuts..

    Hubs and i had both Covid shots and both boosters.. with no issues..knock on wood.. Sorry for what must be a terribly long comment! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb for all your thoughts here very much.
      good tip about taping the paper down to work on. I saw a video where someone was using a clip board-minus the clip to tape her watercolor papers down to that-easy to pick up she was showing how she painted her backgrounds wet on wet and then pick it up and move it around-I am going to pick up one of those clear cutting boards and use that.
      hugs

      Delete
  3. Your watercoloring is beautiful! I loved peeking in your work place too. It always feels so good to clean out and organize. I saw Miss Moth on your desk! It made me happy. Take good care my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been very busy, as always. Your water colour flowers are fabulous, so pretty! Happy Easter, happy Passover, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Valerie, I like my flowers too-smiles Happy Passover hugs

      Delete
  5. I agree with you, Kathy. First, if I have a cluttered space, I can't stand it. That's why I have to clean up as I create my art. My craft room is far too small to have any excess clutter, yet as I perused my Second Thursday tutorial, I saw how cluttered my table was. I love that you have a real desk where you can sit to make your art. I stand because I am so short, it works best for me.

    We all get depressed and down at times. If anyone says they don't they are lying to you and to themselves. It's human nature. Being isolated makes it even more depressing at times. There are days I wish I had that circle of friends I could visit and enjoy their company, but now most of my friends who live in Wichita just want to zoom or send e-mails. I talk to my cats, but they have little advice or solace for me. I am lucky to have my health, and am still able to do everything for myself. I am sure there will be days down the road (in more than a few years, I hope) when I will need help doing things I am now capable of doing.

    Gosh, this was intended to cheer you up, and it seems I am doing all the talking about myself.

    Your cards are wonderful and I am sure they will be appreciated by your slow mail friends. I think they are wonderful and anyone would be thrilled to receive one of your impromptu cards.

    Have a super weekend, know you are loved, and h7ave a blessed Easter, dear Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't know why I did not realize how cluttered my craft space has gotten. when I first set this room up everything had it's place, but now with adding painting etc, it's too much-and if I could clear that little cabinet on top which is a bottom of an old hoosier cabinet-perfect spot for messy crafts with that porcelian top I will be working on that area first.
      I never felt alone before really as it has always been the two of us-but before retirement I did drive long hours to work and back-so I was out and about. It will all be ok-like you mentioned most of us go through things like this.
      the weather is not helping either. too windy too cold or raining for days on end-and I have so much to do out there haha.
      all in good time I tell myself.
      on a happy note I put a couple hummingbird feeders out late yesterday and one stopped by always a welcome site
      You have a wonderful weekend too Elizabeth-hugs

      Delete
  6. Delightful art Kathy, art is therapeutic too you know, you will feel younger, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kathy, getting older isn't much fun health wise so I can see why it makes your sad and down. We all go through times like these and as Elizabeth said it's human nature, but we seem to pick ourselves up and find our happiness again. I hope you feel happier soon, thinking of you and sending your positive vibes. Your cards are so pretty, those watercolour paintings are beautiful 😀. Take care! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thank you so much, yes we all go through times like this, I am feeling better this evening-working on de cluttering discovering things not sure why I kept it smiles Hugs

      Delete
  8. I gave up the Outlander series a few seasons ago. Before they came to the US. I was 70 in October and I'm thinking like you do that I may not have that many years left. I just hope I go before I become dependent on any one. I hate that you are not in a very happy place right now. But I am glad you take so much pleasure from painting. It can be hard to keep your spirits up in these Covid times. We had the first Moderma shot. Got just as sick from it as we did when we got Covid. No more Covid shots for us.....ever. They should have been able to do this without the side effects.
    Hope you have a good Easter. We just came back from a short trip I'll tell about in my next post so we are so so happy to veg a bit.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same and do not want to end up in a nursing home we want to stay in our home. we have no one to help us but at that point will look for nurse to pop in and check on us
      Painting is all new to me and I am having more fun with it this go around. and I still want to get to a little calligraohy too.
      we got sick on the second shot-and the science just is not there for us so not taking any boosters-period.
      good to hear you were able to go on a short trip-look forward to your post hugs

      Delete
  9. You may be in your 70s but you’re constantly busy, continually learning and doing things, keeping your mind sharp. You come across as being very young at heart. We all contemplate our mortality and eternity at times, some times more than others. Very normal.

    I love the flowers. It was a good addition with the bunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberli, I think we everything going on I just got myself down-and my craft room-what a total mess that is-too much stuff in there-I started working a little bit in there. I am always trying new things-I wanted to try painting so I could hopefully capture one of our sunrises over the lake.
      I am thinking now too when we are in our 70's we begin thinking about mortality-so hopefully I am normal-smiles
      thanks I am happy with the flowers
      Happy Easter-hugs

      Delete
  10. I have a really hard time purging craft supplies also Kathy, which is why I have too many myself. Smile. Do need them all, no, but do they make me happy, yes. I know it is the style right now to get rid of things, and in may ways that is good, but I like many of my things so why just get rid of them? But I do understand that feeling of too much stuff. I'm good at purging other things, just not craft supplies, and have been thinking it is time to do some more of that, especially books.

    And I know about getting down at times, and covid certainly hasn't helped any of that. You are not alone feeling that covid has restricted so much of life. Like you I need to be cautious because of my husband. I feel like when I do go out, I need to plan less busy times or wait to do something until the numbers of positive cases have dropped off. And I think about mortality too, even though I am in my 60's. When my husband went into his kidney failure it really hit home about how things can change on a dime and how little time we have. Add that to covid and I feel like if I want to do something, I need to do it. But then I also need to be cautious. On the other hand, I feel like I've had a rich life so far and I can be somewhat patient. But I am also stubborn, hard headed and manage to pull myself up and plow on. But its not always easy. I just do it.
    I don't know if any of this helps, but you aren't alone in what you feel. Many of us have been having a hard time with covid. Take care. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Erika, thank you so much for your time to comment and share your thoughts. I am happy now that I decided to post this, as sometimes I think it's just me and others are going through similar feelings.
      I agree, I am not into de cluttering my art and craft supplies at all. This is a smaller room than what I had at the woods home There I had one wall with built in wood shelves, and we bought shelving to place up high all around the room which gave me allot more floor space.
      I do look for bargains for my supplies, and fiber supplies I would shop at resale shops and garage sale type places for 100% wools, silks, linens etc for that. and their value adds up over time. I still use sewing notions that were from various family's sewing rooms and made in the usa too haha
      I think I do need to get serious about de stashing my spinning fiber so that will take a good amount of time to go through and check out pricing for it and what I want to keep. allot of this fiber can be felted down too and dyed so that could be a fun project in the future. so no I won't be too hasty eliminating items for sure.
      The big stacks on top of that side cabinet got me-and found calligraphy books I couldn't find haha. So I did allot of re arranging to make that better yesterday afternoon.
      I never know what I may be inspired to create either so I have this "store" of supplies smiles
      I wish books were easier to sell to get at least half of the money back-we have always lived very rural so libraries are never convenient so I buy books instead-though I do search for used books most times
      When my husband had his first heart attack that was a frightening time we were only in our early 50's at the time. he had complications and was stuck in the hospital late november into march. Long recovery time but healed well and then health issues started up again about 10 years later-he has had at least 4 open heart surgeries this last one was a rough one and happened just months after we bought the lake home. So I can relate about concerns with your husbands health-big hugs.
      this is getting long so better close thank you so much for sharing your thoughts

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kathy for your reply. It's scary when health issues happen and they always seem to set you back. I forgot to mention I love your pansies that you painted. That book better not be in your get rid of pile because it looks very useful. And it is a shame you can't sell books for their costs. But I guess it works for buying cheaper used ones. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
    3. thank you I was happy with those flowers too, I really liked using the green ink too on the leaves and grass.
      No not getting rid of this book for sure. I have allot of novels like the outlander books I am just not going to take the time to read those-when I can read something else I will enjoy more-so will be going over a stack of those first to see what I can sell. I do always look for used copies and free shipping when possible.
      today is another cold rainy gloomy day-but I am in better spirits and working in my craft room-found a surprise space I totally forgot about will share for T

      Delete
  11. I do like your water colour flowers :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thoughtful post. Your desk is an excellent find. Your artwork is lively, and cheerful.
    As for aging, I think. and hope it is only once there's an episode of awareness different from all the others when the years we have, possibly, left appear to us clearer than ever. It isn't an epiphany. I think it is a unique pure self awareness. Putting it in perspective adjusts the gloomy vibe it can have.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit