Wednesday, April 27, 2022

This & That @ An Art Find

  Hi Everyone,

     Today I was finally able to get out the weed killer and start killing off grass. It had gotten pretty high on the one side and front of the house. We have really had allot of rain here. I sprayed a gallon of it, made lunch was going to go out with another gallon, but I was pretty tired from the first dose and the winds are a little too strong right now. Rain coming in again tomorrow, with the next no rain day on Sunday so hoping I can get back to it then.

   When I was working in my craft room I uncovered two favorite items that I didn't know where they had gotten to. A gnome embroidery piece that my Mom did for me, to go with my gnome plates, and an art piece that I truly love. They both needed to have hangers put on the backs. I will really enjoy seeing these pieces up on the walls. That is my to do thing right now-finish little things that have been waiting on me.


I had the perfect spot for this one too, there was space to the left where the gnome plates were hung across this wall.


I was really happy to find this piece again. I dyed the fabric in the back, and a friend of mine years ago in blogland-and have lost touch with over the years-did a limited edition of this screen painting or block print not sure now. I always loved this and goes so well with one of my hand dyes. It needed a hanger for the back as well.


 So when I walk into this room which is off the kitchen, I will view this piece I have two windows in this room and those curtains must go-they came with the house. I need to go through my fabrics and see if I have something. Yes I have pretty much taken over two rooms in the house for crafts etc.


  Both of these pieces are in the room with my ranch oak desk with desk top computer and printer, weaving loom along with some weaving supplies and my spinning wheels. To the left of above photo is the wall of gnomes. The loom has been threaded and ready to weave a different pattern of towels. I will probably get to these on upcoming very hot summer days.

  Since the weekend we began seeing this beautiful oriole. He has been really difficult to get a good photo of, I finally was able to today. I do have oriole feeders but here in Missouri they usually stop for a little bit and then migrate on. The hummingbird feeder seems to work ok. These first two photos were fun as he was sitting behind the nectar tube



  I was able to capture these photos this afternoon








  I did get brave late yesterday and cut around that hooked piece my Mom had made into a picture to hang. She put some sort of board inside-that over time broke in pieces, had backed it with corduroy and screwed in a wire hanger. This has to be over 50 years now since she gave it to me.  I cut just past the stitching line of the front and back, to protect the hand rug hooking, and got brave and washed it in a special wool soap.

Back in the 50's when my Mom hooked this most used a quality burlap to hook on. This was so dirty it just needed to be gently hand washed.


It has been lying flat on a table on top of towels-as the towels get wet-I change to a dry towel-so far looking good
   Not sure how I will proceed with this piece  This is the rug hooking style my Mom made-incredible work.


  I have also been adding more items to my Etsy shop, hand knit sweaters and two reclaimed blouses that I natural dyed with annatto

  Here is one of them



Happy Mid Week everyone

20 comments:

  1. you have been very busy with your crafts and organizing. What are you spraying to kill grass?
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy-probably something awful-ugh-a brush killer I picked up, don't like to use this stuff-but it all got away from me with the cold and rain-we have had so much rain this month. too large an area to lay down plastic and get it to stay put with the high winds we get here.

      Delete
  2. Its wonderful you have that super embroidery your Mom made for you Kathy. You must cherish it, and it's great to put it out so you can enjoy it. And probably think of your mom too. I need to get some grape jelly as I bought an inexpensive oriel feeder. I hope they stick around longer than usual though. I haven't seen any yet, so it was was fun to see yours. Happy rest of the week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am very happy to find this embroidery piece, she knew I loved gnomes so she had gotten me the plates and then embroidered this piece for me. I was surprised to see the orioles, but we did see them some years at the woods property we still have not seen any male hummingbirds yet only a few females so far

      Delete
  3. Well you have been a busy little beaver...lol Love your mom's pieces.. especially the gnome!! lol We had Orioles come visit when we lived in Arkansas ... we would put out grape jelly! They loved it.. I got some great photos in front of that big picture window.. We had a good day too.. Finished putting trim up on another side of hubby's shop.. 2 sides left to go.. Also unscrewed the gable vent and put in the foam pieces and screwed it back down.. Collected all the metal extras around and took them to the salvage yard.. $34 bought us lunch..lol i got some great pics at the yard.. then i dropped hubby off home and got in a shopping trip.. after a browse around Hobby Lobby.. so all in all a good day! Take care my friend!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, sounds like a good day for the both of you-love it when we have productive days too. wow that is awesome you have a hobbly lobbly close by-I love that place, but too far away now-they are building one at the lake here but that will be an hour drive in busy traffic-not for me
      perfect to get lunch money-we used to do that with scrap metals and aluminium cans too.
      I did a big grocery shop early this morning left the house at 6:30am got it all in the house before it started to rain a bit. the rain may be by passing us so far. Hugs

      Delete
  4. That gnome embroidery piece that your mom did for you is really precious and beautiful, Kathy. The rug is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new pieces added to the wall makes this room even more special. I love those gnomes, and the embroidery piece is great! Your mother's hooked piece is beautiful. I am sure your mother would be pleased with your work on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is feeling good to get more things fixed and up on the wall. not sure what I will do with the hooked piece yet.

      Delete
  6. Here in the city they burn grass. No idea what is better?
    Oh, always wonderful to find such lost lillte pieces from back then!
    Braunschweig is more or less curtain-less. Th eolny good thing about the dark half of the year - you see how others live like!

    Funny bird. As if it knows and plays peek-o-boo with you at first. Quite a beauty, too.

    Unicorn and sheep, funny bottles. And a wonderful piece of work from your Mom.

    Have a good day, must be nice to look at all that, hugs from here!
    (I have a pic of my Mom right to my left at this PC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iris, good memories in a couple of these rooms of mine for sure. You have a good day too hugs

      Delete
  7. Beautiful oriole photo. Your mother's hook scene is beautiful as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, I love the gnomes. I am not a fan of camomile, but I know some people love it. That's a beautiful bird, too. I think you must take after your mother. I like her hook rug you shared. You have been very busy this week. Much more so than I, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Elizabeth, we have rain every day again except for one day. this cabinet has been on my mind to go through and then stock it up with canned goods

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit