Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Food Wednesdays

  Welcome to our Food Wednesdays.

     I set up this link up so we could share food posts with each other. I have enjoyed the posts so far very much. Have you too??

   I want this event to be all about the food so no rules except to be sharing posts about Food. Anything you would like to share with us-recipes, restaurants, cookbooks and more for us all to enjoy and learn new things.

   I did make another jar of the chia pudding and this time I added a bit more milk. It turned out perfectly this time. This is my new evening snack. Sometimes I add a little fresh fruit, or jam, or a little honey or agave. Also I use almond milk or other nut milks, but any milk will work perfectly in this recipe.(recipe posted last week)

  I made a big pot of chili during our cold spell and freeze last week, we love a hot soup or a bean soup or chili when it's cold outdoors. I have also been picking up some crackers for the both of us that are strong enough for a spread cheese.

  Monday I decided to bake up some chocolate chip cookies. I always make a wheat and also a gluten free version. Since I change up so many of the ingredients-the sugars to keto sweeteners, Splenda or coconut sugar and the flours, I also combine butter and coconut oil instead of only butter.   I try different recipes from time to time, as they will bake up a little different with these ingredient changes. This time I baked up  this recipe   the link takes you to the recipe and she shares a nice video too. 

    I made mine with coconut sugar and swerve brown sweetener instead of brown sugar, a keto sweetener for the white sugar in the gluten free cookie and Splenda for the white sugar in the wheat cookie. I also use quality dark chocolate chips-this company in the photo is gluten free. Nestle I need to read the labels to make sure. If I want a non sugar chocolate chip I love Lily's products. Their chocolate bars are amazing and sweetened with stevia They have come out with several chocolate products now for baking and eating.

  I did not like how the end of the recipe read so after making the cookie balls from the dough I flattened them out first before placing on to the cookie sheet. The gluten free cookies took 10 minutes to bake. Very soft and tender and delicious too.

  The wheat flour cookies needed less time to bake if I wanted to keep them soft like the gluten free ones. Those took 8 minutes to bake.  I baked these up while reading the T link ups Monday evening.

  



I like this better than Swerve's white sweetener. Much more affordable and Swerve's white always gets hard as a rock in the bag before I get it used up and it's expensive too. I do like the Swerve brown allot-stays moist


I picked up this vanilla extract from the Amish store. Great flavor with the additional vanilla bean extract in it Vanilla extract seems to have gotten expensive again too, this large bottle was around $16.00 I am a label reader so was not sure what ethyl vanilla was. So I needed to look this up. I probably won't buy this again as it is a compound of some sort-I am no scientist and it is toward the end of the ingredients so that is good --Ethylvanillin is regarded as a very safe molecule to be used in flavors and aromatic compositions, and has been for decades [2]. The only danger there is to alter an otherwise genuine vanilla extract, which is more precious.
     



The gluten free cookies



I have two these lovely ceramic crocks with lids. I had bought them for my sourdough starter when I was baking up allot of breads. I had a rye starter going, and another white flour starter that was a fast riser
   Since I am no longer baking breads-I do miss that-I now use these for small batches of cookies and freeze about half the cookies to keep them fresher. I mark on a piece of tape wheat or gluten free


The wheat cookies

  these were to be rolled in balls of a little over a tablespoon, and then I flattened them before adding to the baking sheet.






Now it is your turn to share your Food Wednesday post.  Please link up with the url of your Food Wednesdays post and not your blog url  Thank you



28 comments:

  1. I figured while I was here for T, I would stop by and admire your cookies, too. I buy my vanilla in Mexico. I used to buy it myself whenever I was in CA, and would pop into Mexico, but now I get anyone who is going to Mexico to get it AND Mexican chocolate, too. However, I would LOVE to have a cookie that is homemade right now! Great idea for Food Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, years ago we had friends that would bring us the Mexican vanilla I had not made any cookies for us in long while so now we have some in the cookie jars-so glad you dropped by

      Delete
  2. Your cookies look so delicious Kathy. I've tried using the KIng Arthur flour sugar substitute, but the problem is the bag isn't very large. I think that is probably true for most sugar substitutes I've seen. And vanilla costs are crazy. They have come down from last fall a little bit at least. I'm not super fussy about where I get my vanilla but I want it to be all natural real vanilla. THanks for inspiring me to make some chocolate chip cookies- soon. I need to get my post together so I'll either be linking up later tonight or in the morning, depending if I get distracted tonight or not. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika, I almost did not buy this vanilla because I did not know what that ingredient was-and it was a large bottle for the money. it does taste really good brings out the vanilla bean flavor allot but I don't what a chemical in my vanilla.
      I was happy with these cookies. the splenda is a good value and I have baked with it for years for Larry's diabities and bakes up really well with no aftertaste. you can use it with whipped eggs though as it will deflate instantly that big green bag in the photo was a good money value but that one does have a bit of an after taste

      Delete
    2. splenda-you can Not use it for whipped eggs-like meringues

      Delete
  3. Gosh those cookies look yummy Kathy! Thanks for hosting. Reminds me I should go eat the chai seed pudding I made with your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine-awesome-let me know how you liked your chia seed pudding, I just had some tonight too. If you visit pinterest sometimes they have some good sounding recipes using the chia pudding

      Delete
  4. Nothing like comfort foods on cold days:) Your cookies look delish and i will check the recipes. Interesting about the vanilla- I still am tempted to make my own but as everything else I'm sure the vanilla beans are expensive too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda I have made my own vanilla extract and it is wonderful especially if you give it time to age-I have some that is aging for close to 10 years now I use it for special recipes I have in the past found good buys for the beans online just have to hunt around different spice shops and even ebay In the past I have made orange and lemon extracts too

      Delete
  5. Oh, Kathy. I am really sad at times that I don´t like sweets.
    Your cookies remind me a bit of the Dutch puff-thingies (I don´t know the name) that you (could) get at the Christmas Markets... wait ! Poffertjes! That´s the name! Funny, why remember a name of something you never tried?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning Iris-very early here right now as I just woke up with the tv on. when you bake with these sweeteners that are not made from sugar-they are not as sweet tasting as sugar. I looked up the link-those look good and the have history thanks for that-you are brilliant Iris-hugs

      Delete
  6. Wish I could taste one of those GF cookies :-) They surely look very tempting, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, these turned out really good sometimes when you make allot of changes to the recipe you never know how they will bake up

      Delete
  7. Now I wish I had a vegan chocolate chip cookie and a glass of oat milk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOw-I got lots of info here. I will look for the Lily's chocolate. Your cookies look very good-I was wanting to smell them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra I am in love with Lily's chocolate sooo good. I found them wat my small wal mart store if you can't find them amazon has them but they are a little over 3.00 for a bar so need to check the prices so not paying too much.
      I was very happy with these cookies Happy mid week hugs

      Delete
  9. Those cookies look delicious. Good to know about the vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I am glad I did a little research on that added ingredient. this is delicious vanilla though.
      I happy how these cookies turned out

      Delete
  10. Your chocolate cookies look delicious. You always have a lot of information in your posts which I really appreciate. I don't bake very often - I used to when my daughter was still small and we would bake together. However, I do bake occasionally and when I do I actually enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always baked everything from scratch since a kid (now I do use a few mixes for gluten free) cooking with my Mom and little sister-so fun and good memories. My Grandma was a farm girl and I would spend weeks with her in the summer time. good memories. she taught me allot of things in the kitchen.
      My husband has a sweet tooth so I have wanted to figure out things that taste good for him without the sugars. and me gluten free over 25 years now maybe more-was a real challenge in the beginning. but I have always been at home working in the kitchen. I have my farm girl grandma's genes I think haha

      Delete
  11. Kathy, these look soooooo good. I love the recipe and the ingredients. I am so glad you started Food Wednesday. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I am really enjoying all the food posts too. very fun way to share together. and thank you for promoting this event too-hugs

      Delete
  12. Ok.. now i want chocolate chip cookies... thanks Kathy...lol.. I'm glad your still able to have goodies while adhering to your restrictive diets.. Happy Food Wednesday my friend! I hope you did not get the bad weather you were expecting!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate chip cookies are the best aren't they lol I have needed to find allot of different ways to bake for the both of us and our health needs-but it has been fun journey as I love to be making things in the kitchen.
      we got lucky and missed the bad weather. it is chilly, very dreary today but a lovely spring rain off and on so far. very thankful hugs

      Delete
  13. Hi Kathy! The cookies look yummy!! ☺ I have found no time to participate this week, but I will try to share two posts with you next week! I made some yummy food!! The cookies look really good!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit