Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Poison Ivy Saga & Painting Practice With Black India Ink

     Those of you that followed my poison ivy "drama" last year,  well you won't believe it but I have a really bad case of it again-can not believe this has happened again-triple ugh  😟

    We had perfect weather here on Monday, so I grabbed my small shovel (I like this shovel so I can sit down to work and protects my back and knees)  and wanted to dig out these horrible little bushes that are facing our property line along one side of the little garden shed. Last year I cleared out this area of weeds, trimmed back these strange to me plants that had very thick stems and whispy branches full of fuzzy sticker type things all over it.  It never looked pretty, have no idea what they are so decided they must go. They are close to that mound of vinca I had shared on Tuesday.

   So I cleared an area next to the property line and those bushes of grass and planted three clumps of ground cover phlox that will bloom a pretty pink. I had picked up a large tub of it at the Amish greenhouse.  I decided to dig up those ugly bushes next-what a job-very thick roots that spread out in all directions, and then after I got into digging discovered this very thick landscape fabric to prevent weeds-which did Not do that.  So long story I got it all out bagged the roots and took to the fire pit to burn off with the leaves. Late evening I had one large red spot, and both arms and hands looked burned. Yikes can't be poison ivy or oak cause I didn't see any at all where I was working.

   The next day it started spreading with dark red blotches, not the typical looking poison ivy. I still had that pink stuff so spread that over everything. Sleepless night do to the burning. That evening still spreading. Poison ivy on me does not usually even show up on me for a couple days.  This morning I decided to drive to the doctors office first thing before they opened to see if I could get a cortizone shot.  That worked out well didn't have to wait long at all and saw the nurse practitioner. I asked her to read my chart from last year. She only gave the steroid shot no predisone pills but to call if I think I need them in a few days.  It is about a 30 minute drive to the doctors, by the time I got home it had spread to my face and legs-sigh 

   So I am talking with Larry this morning, that I didn't see the poison ivy so I don't get that--well most things are not leafed out yet here but still.  Then I described this horrible ground cover-and he says ahh nope that does Not sound like ground cover it is either  asbestos paper or fiberglass paper used in car hoods. What??

    The previous owner to this lake house was a mechanic and reused allot of materials here at the house, and did not know how do things the correct way at all. Larry has been in construction off and on since his teens.  So no wonder I am thinking that I have more red blotches than the typical pus filled rash.  Well late today I do have areas that do look like poison ivy and I am thinking also from that horrible paper I pulled up. Lesson learned-I need to wear long garden gloves-end of story-something I do not like wearing are gloves.

   Well I just had to get this saga written down and move on. Hoping tomorrow the shot will start working.  Lesson learned for anyone gardening with the threat of poison plants nearby.  What really gets me is that we lived like pioneers for almost 20 years at the woods house with poison ivy every where, never once got it as I could identify it there, here at the lake house I can't see it. , 

  Thanks for sticking with me til the end.

This is the book I picked up last year to help teach myself watercolor painting. Kate on T had shared it. Since we have lived rural for many years, libraries are not nearby or convenient so I buy used copies online instead I enjoy the hunt online for a good price and free shipping  This is a spiral book which I love for a learning book



  This is the book that I used to learn painting watercolor flowers, and used India ink-waterproof needed I learned- I just never thought of inks being used in paintings like watercolors. I like that.

  For this week's practice I spotted a sheep-I love sheep-which used only India ink and diluting it more and more you can get the color down to a very light grey. I thought that was awesome to learn about. So I found the perfect tool to use in my stash to try this out. Learned one needs much less ink to start with to make the colors. From the photo one can not really see the difference til it goes on the paper. I am working in a mixed media paper notebook.


I liked the idea of this exercise using only the ink and circles-thinking I can do this-ahh maybe haha


I love the way the sheep looks like he is sitting down-I didn't achieve that though


   Realized I  made the sheep body too long so he looks odd but I do like him in a whimsical way-and I am working on learning what I didn't do right and improve upon that, instead of being so hard on myself. I really want to get better with watercolors and now inks too-I want to be able to paint one of our sunrises-that is my goal in the end.

   Late yesterday I was tired, burning from this rash but since I still had lots of ink left wanted to try again-that second sheep was way off and I didn't like the way he turned out at all, as he was not sitting down either.  I want to try one more time tomorrow or the next day and then move on.

   We have another big storm moving in tonight with up to 40 mile an hour winds-not too happy about that at all. I do not like wind, it makes me nervous, not sure why, but I just don't like it.

   Those of you not familiar, I have started a link up all about Food-Food Wednesdays. You are most welcome to join in, and/or visit all the link ups-some really good food posts are being shared.


Happy Wednesday evening everyone-and stay clear of poison ivy and oak  😏

29 comments:

  1. Cute sheep and interesting about diluting the india ink. So sorry about the poison ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I thought that was really interesting too-just add more water to get lots of blacks to a soft grey

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the poison ivy drama, and I hope you are feeling better by this point. The sheep looks really vivid and cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the sheep is "growing on me" haha I like the look of the one in the book as the sheep really looks like he is sitting down.
      this poison ivy drama was too much-again I will need to be more careful and use long gloves next time

      Delete
  3. Oh, shoot, I am so sorry reading this! I truly hope you are better soon, that sounds horrible and painful.

    Love your work on the sheep! I started one tutorial, but eeeek, things get in the way all the time.

    Have a nice day as can be with this, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to read about your poison ivy problem. Regardless, I absolutely LOVE your sheep. Very well done, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wind can cause a lot of damage especially with trees all around so understandable to be concerned. Sorry to hear about your rash. Don't understand why people use harmful things to control weeds when all that's really needed is a layer of cardboard that when it breaks down helps enrich the soil. Anything else used just becomes a hazard to the environment. Sure hope your rash clears up soon. Guess it is better to wear long sleeves and gloves, even if you don't like them - at least when you are doing something different and unsure of what you are working with. I watch several artists on youtube who use ink in their mixed media projects. Have fun practicing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy I agree, when we used to put in a very large veggie garden I would use cardboard and thick stack of newspapers around the plants, and then put straw on top of that to weigh it all down- and does put some compost back into the soil too.
      thank you Tammy

      Delete
  6. Sorry about the poison ivy, not good! LOVE your ink preactice, beautiful! hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for the poison ivy, Kathy. Hope you feel better today.
    I know the technique using inks instead of watercolors but never used it until now. Maybe I will try it one day. I love your sheep. I do not mind if the body is big or not, he is pretty (I love sheep). Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound so uncomfortable I do hope you get relief soon. I like that you are teaching yourself how to paint. I would love to try that but feel like I have so much going on right now that I have not time as it is. Maybe just maybe when I retire I will have more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have been retired since 2003 and my husband has always had home business of some sort so I never feel like we are completely retired as we are always doing projects as well. moving to the lake house a few years ago feels like our second retirement haha we don't go anywhere but we always have projects and me lots of arts and crafts, gardening and I hope to get back to some canning foods again this summer too

      Delete
  9. Kaatthhyyy OOohh noooo ! uuugh.. I totally get you.. i hate to wear gloves myself when it comes to digging in the dirt.. I like to FEEL the dirt apparently..lol But girl with the poison ivy/oak you have i think you better wear gloves.. lol Wow! I'm so sorry you got it again. I know its miserable. Does it itch or just burn.. I'm a terrible scratcher.. mosquito bites etc.. just cannot leave it alone. I have only found one thing to ease an itch and even then its only temporary and i need to reapply but its called Eucerin brand Calming Lotion.. I don't know how it will work on poison ivy.. but it did give me some relief for other itches.. You probably have worse poison ivy/oak problems because you live at the lake and both those plants love water. We do have both those plants here but much much less here in dry west TX.. I have some dirt digging ahead of me too.. Might get out there today and do some.. You have inspired me! I want to bake a cake too.. 7up pound cake.. But i have diet Sprite.. i think that should work too.. don't you? Take care of yourself woman! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear you are having a rash right now Kathy. As I've been suffering regularly from hives for 4+ years, I can sympathize so much with you. Itchy, bumpy skin is not fun. And I do like your sheep. That looks like a good book. I like how it takes you step by step. You could even draw that way with color pencils too. I hope we get to see some more of your drawings and how you did them also. Hope the shot works. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be hard to deal with all the time-I would go crazy I think if this would not go away eventually so far the shot is not working as it is still spreading. yes I really like this book allot-its small so perfect size to work with while painting. Hadn't thought about the pencils I may just try that too thanks.

      Delete
  11. Hope you are getting better. Love how you learn the technic for paintings. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear this. I hope by now you are lots better. This time of year, the ivy is very small and hard to see. It's sneaky. Remember that burning it is very dangerous-you can get it in your lungs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks you right I can't burn this I will see if I can sneak it in with the garbage bags. it is still really bad I have fiberglass on top of it I discovered too

      Delete
  13. Oh my Kathy, that sounds terrible - I hope you are feeling much better now! Loving that adorable sheep 😁. Take care and wishing you well! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo this is a horrible case for sure had to go in friday to get the steroid pills ugh

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, sorry to read about the poison ivy drama.
    My thoughts are with you, and hoping you are feeling much better now.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit