Friday, April 29, 2022

My Friday The Pantry

 Hello Friends, how was your Friday?

    We had lots of rain and storms off and on all day today, and lots of Baltimore Orioles and the Orchard Orioles too. Right now I only have hangers for two hummingbird feeders on the deck, so I need to find another hanger of some sort. The orioles seem to be sticking around for awhile, some years they do that during stormy weather.  the rainy weather did not stop the orioles from drinking almost all day today.





This was a real treat for us today to watch these two species of orioles hang out with us most of the day. We are also seeing a few hummingbirds but strange as of yet no males only females-wondering if the males got lost in one of the storms.

I also cleaned out a food cabinet today-a big job as I had around 40 home canned jars of juice, salsas, and pickles that needed to be dumped, glass jars washed and put away. These all were 10 to 15 years old and needed to go. I didn't have time to do it when we moved to the lake. Since I use vintage glass jars for canning-as they are thicker glass I wanted the jars.  A rainy day was perfect for this job. I still have about a dozen canned wild grape juice quart jars that I need to test out as these are 10 years old but look good.

When I went food shopping this week the store was still low on no salt canned bean products and no sugar added canned fruits. Also more items were missing on the shelves and the fresh produce was low as well. 

   I went online and discovered Wal Mart online-and they had most of what I needed-a variety of canned black beans, light and dark kidney beans no salt added, chili beans and lots of fruits no sugar added-so I got most of the cans for around a dollar a can I ordered over 30 to get the free shipping, and to fill up my pantry. I usually can all these beans but can't use the pressure canner on this electric stove.

  I had discovered canning your own beans-pinto, black, kidney etc-a couple years before we moved to the lake. Easy to do and tastes delicious  Start with dried beans soak overnite-rinse fill jars add water and follow instructions for canning in your pressure canner.

  I still can not find no salt cannellini white beans or the no salt chick peas canned in the stores or online so will keep looking for those.  Also when I went food shopping I made sure I was stocked with canned chicken, no salt beef and chicken stocks, and those large cans of usa beef and turkey meat.  So I am pretty set with my pantry right now if things get worse in the stores.

  Depending on the price of produce at the Amish market this summer I would like to can a small batch of salsa, and freeze some fruits.

  Going through this food cabinet, allot of things were hidden from view as things were not sorted out well-wow I had forgotten that I had brought over all the extra baking sweets we will ever need of sorghum, molasses, agave, honey, and homemade maple syrup- a gift from our Wisconsin friends-I knew I had those maple syrup jars somewhere haha.

  So by the time our 2pm main meal came around I was really happy I had leftovers to warm up.

  Hoping no rain tomorrow-we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Oh and just for fun our Wisconsin friends are going to have a hippie birthday party since Rob turns 60 next month. She has been asking me about hippie clothes etc haha-yep I am that old. I looked online to see if there were any hippie type rubber stamps so I could make a birthday card for him. I just ordered this set The seller gave me a deal that was better than just ordering two of these from other sellers. So this should be fun to create.



Happy Friday and Weekend

23 comments:

  1. Wish there's a Amish market or store in my neighbourhood! It has been raining on and off last few days, but we still have some sunshine in the late afternoon. So I won't complain. Wish you a beautiful weekend, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie we got allot of rain last-all night long-and still raining haha Happy weekend

      Delete
  2. Still trying to comment. I wasn’t a hippie, but I still miss John Denver. 😞

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you to do that cleaning Kathy. I started cleaning out some cookbooks yesterday; I have way too many. They are all good but some have sat untouched for so many years it is time to let them go to a home that would enjoy them. And nice oriels too. I bought a jelly feeder this year and now I need to get some jelly to put it out. And nice stamps too. They should be fun. Hope you have a great end of April and start of May. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can related to the cookbooks-I probably had a couple hundred or more of them I invited friends over at the woods property to sell books and sold several but I took allot of boxes to the library to benefit their book sale. I only had a small space for cookbooks here at the lake so I only kept absulute favorites and information cookbooks. so fun to watch the orioles, they were here at first light this morning and it's still raining here Happy weekend

      Delete
  4. We have had cold windy weather this week I am ready for a true spring. Wow you have been busy I am trying to keep us stocked some we have a small extra freezer and a small pantry my husband made in the basement. I usually keep an eye on things so if I need to use something I get to it long before it expires. I don't usually have things that long anyway
    Hope you have better weather
    Cathy
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, my home canned jars I just hadn't gotten to, so glad that is done. we have had sooo much rain here-storms all night long and still raining. we have always lived rural so I have always stocked up on most everything and I used to do allot of canning, freezing dehydrating
      happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  5. We had thunderstorms here last night and tornado warnings were going off and we didn't get the all clear for over two hours. Bleubeard heads to the basement when there is any bad weather, but Squiggles has never been to the basement. He prefers to stay in the office, the highest part of my home.

    Lovely photos of orioles. What cute stamps for a hippie party and card.

    I don't own a pressure cooker, so my beans cook for several hours. I don't mind in the winter, but don't like to use my stove in the summer. Have a safe and stress free weekend, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I think the rain and storms have finally stopped and we are to have a sunny day tomorrow-finally
      I was wondering if there were any tornadoes in the area. pets for sure look for a safe place during these storms.glad you all are safe
      I thought these hippie stamps were perfect-love the bug car too.
      Happy weekend to you too-hugs

      Delete
    2. We had a confirmed tornado that hit downtown Wichita. I don't live too far from where it touched down. Did quite a bit of damage to the densely populated buildings, too. Thought you might like to know.

      Delete
    3. Glad you were safe Elizabeth-the way the weather was acting if felt like someone would get a tornado I have a cousin that I think lives in Wichita I need to check on her-thanks

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I don't throw food out unless it has gone bad-these home canned foods were past their prime-10-15 years old up to 7 years is best for home canned

      Delete
  7. I always wondered how the orioles get to the nectar in the hummingbird feeders. Do they also have a long tongue? I have seen them at my feeders too, but not this year. Cleaning the pantry is such a satisfying task...once it is accomplished. Yay for another rainy day put to good use. We missed yesterday's rain, and had only a very light shower early this morning. But, of course, the wind is blowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we got soooo much rain over the last 24 hours so glad it finally moved out of here around 9 am. I am not sure about the orioles. I do have oriole feeders, but the little holes for them to drink it closes so they must push through that with their beaks-the hummingbirds would not be able to use those. we have so few hummers so far too

      Delete
  8. Ohh too bad you had to through out the canned goods. I can my own beans, that way I know exactly what went into them. It is storming here too and then of course the wind. Late garden start this year. Hoping for a long Indian summer. Happy hippie birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes these jars were just too old. I do like my own canned beans too, but the ones with no salt and organic are pretty good instead.
      I hope we get an Indian summer too
      I wish we could go to the party as I know we would have fun, but my husband just isn't healthy enough for that long drive any more

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. great we found it's the perfect time of day for us too hugs

      Delete
  10. Love those hippie stamps! You have worked hard again, I always admire how you tackle al your jobs. Have a great weekend and a happy May, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am anxious to get these stamps, he mailed them off right away so I thanked him as I need to time to make the card and get it mailed off in time for his party.
      decided on these rainy days I must get things accomplished that need doing before perhaps I can't get to them
      happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  11. Kathy I am sure your friend is going to be very pleased when your card arrives. What a sweet way to tell someone you are thinking of them. I too shop Wal-mart on line. Went to Aldi's last week and found that meat was very low. Seemed to have plenty of other things though. Good idea to stock up the pantry with things that will keep. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit