Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Buffalo Fiber in the Mail & Daffodils

   After I purchased the big bag of buffalo fiber, I got to thinking-"what was I thinking??" Shhhh I didn't tell Larry about this one-kinda crazy I know haha.  Reminds me back when I was quilting more the girls would hide their fabric purchses from their husbands. I never hide stuff-but this purchase I did so far.

    I got the 5 pound bag because it was such a better price point-especially since they had a good mark down on it, and then another 15% off  on any order, plus free shipping. The free shipping was a big savings. I had been looking at this for a couple years now and the price was just too expensive before, and they have not offered free shipping before that I remember, so thinking they were spring cleaning their warehouse. .

  I also bought another pair of their "Boss" short socks made with buffalo yarn-I had bought a pair a year ago and I love them These socks will last the rest of my life time for sure.-perhaps even the fiber smiles.

  The first thing I did was to get this fiber out of the plastic bag, and then I grabbed old pillow cases from my craft room. Fibers need to breath-I never store any form of fibers or fabrics in plastic bags. 

   Well 5  pounds Is Allot of fiber-4 stuffed bags full haha.   The fiber is very very clean which I am very happy about, and allot of it was in wide rolls. This is supposed to be the waste fiber and more coarse. It is actually not extremely coarse.  The fibers are very very short which I had expected, but I almost think I will try carding it with another fiber to see if I can spin some of it.  I also thought it might just make a nice stuffing for little pillows too. I will also use some of this fiber in the soil too this spring as I work on the perennial areas.

  These photos came out a bit dark-sorry

  


    I got to thinking this week while waiting for this to get delivered that 5 pounds is allot of fiber-Yes it is-- fibers do make me happy though and I need happy right now.

   I have had in the back of my mine to create another framed fiber picture using wools and needle felting fibers-this will work for that project too, although that won't make much of a dent in this.



We got up into the 80's F temperature today but will crash to the low 20's tonight with wind rain t storms-typical for Missouri some years. 

   Late this afternoon I got outdoors for a bit. That sewer ditch project we had been working on before Larry's fall over the stone wall created allot of good soil. I spent hours seperating out the rocks from the soil-we needed the rocks to put on top of the sewer pipe.  This is a slow project for me fill a big bucket half full with this soil and carry it down the steps- I did a couple hours of that-but good thing I stopped at 2 hours.

  I did see a few daffodils beginning to bloom- that was a surprise  I was not able to work in these areas before winter last year after Larry's fall-so I have much to do to get these areas sorted before they grow too much I am hoping what I planted last year will return this spring


The storms have just begun while I type this--Have a good rest of your week

24 comments:

  1. Add Buffalo Fiber to things I have never heard of but now have. Who knew? Good for you for getting out there and helping out with that project. Barb and I work together on almost every project we have, making it even more rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good evening, we do most everything together too-hugs I fell in love with the buffalo fiber for spinning-it is soo soft

      Delete
  2. If it makes you happy, then I say go for it. That sure is a lot of fleece though. My mother-in-law used to hide things from my father-in-law. I wonder if people still do that as much now. And hurrah for daffodils and spring too. I hope you have fun with your fiber Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erika, this was a splurge Larry always tell me if we can afford it go for it-smiles I will tell him eventually I am anxious to try it as a soil amendment that got really good reviews. I was so happy to see the daffodils-right now we the wind is blowing hard out there.
      take care

      Delete
  3. A wonderful post. I never hide my art supplies from Mr. M. Yes, 5lbs is a lot of fiber. Lucky you. I went to that website from one of your links. The socks look amazing but to spendy for me. Again, lucky you. I look forward to seeing what you do with all that buff fiber. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sent ou an email too. yes after I ordered the 5 pounds got to thinking that will be allot of fiber. the nicer fleece to spin is very very expensive and sells by the ounce. happy mid week

      Delete
  4. Oh this last week i got to looking at my yard too... All this warm weather has started the weeds growing... i didn't realize it but they got quite a jump on me... The lack of rain made the burrs grow super short and start to put out burrs.. .i got the weedeater out and scalped them down to the ground which is not difficult with the ground so dry.. So hopefully i got them before the burrs matured.. there was none of them sticking to my pants so im taking that as a good sign..
    Wow that is alot of buffalo fiber Kathy!!! But i know you will put it to good use.. All this next month i will be preparing everything i'm turning in to the Stock Show Creative Arts Dept.. lots of finishing touches needed to get ready to turn them in.. I have to turn in my entry form by Mar 30... I have to make sure i don't overload my hummingbird butt with what i can get ready in that time.. Hard decision since i want to do it all...lol Take care of yourself Kathy... I haven't started my Spring Card yet but i will!! Best wishes to Larry! Hopefully he has bounced back from his little fall the other day.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb weeds and grass get out of hand so fast here too-I have soooo much work out there to get caught up on-need to take it slow to get my body ready for it all.
      I am playing with carding this buffalo fiber with shetland wool I have, and then seeing how I can get it spun up. Might be fun to weave some table mats or coasters with this.
      super cold here today brrrr
      Good luck with your art entries this year-that should be fun for you. No worries about the card when ever you have the time. I just jumped in and made around 14 cards I think, will mail them end of next week.
      take care-hugs

      Delete
  5. You deserve your buffalo fiber, enjoyy and have fun!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie-I think I do too since it makes me happy hugs

      Delete
  6. That is a lot of fiber! I had no idea what 5 pounds actually is.
    Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kathy, I'm excited and very curious about how you're going to use your buffalo fiber. I spun sheep's wool once... it is very suitable for bed socks, vest or as a jacket. It will give you a lot of pleasure :-)) I would love to feel this buffalo fiber in my hand once.
    The socks are great.
    And of course I love the first daffodils in your garden... here with us there are snowdrops and crocuses.
    Lots of happy greetings from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good mornig, Ilove to spin wools but I have just not gotten really good at it. I enjoy it so I still try to get better, and want to weave things with it.
      I will see if I can send you some buffalo fiber
      I was so happy to see the first daffodils we are very cold again now but it will warm up again soon

      Delete
  8. How exciting! This will be loads of fun for you -- and I love the sound of those socks! Tell us more as you progress with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun with the fibre!
    So nice to see those daffodils.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am playing with some of it now-I loved seeing the daffodils a really nice surprise
      happy friday and weekend

      Delete
  10. I hope that you will have lots of fun with buffalo fiber. We have lots of daffodils last few days...spring arrives here early this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will thank you-spring is arriving early here too-but usually when that happens it will get really cold again Happy new week

      Delete
  11. Have fun creating with your fiber. I have been purchasing lots of linens lately to go with my cross stitch patterns. No daffs here yet, but will be soon I hope. Sure hope you dont take a tumble working on that soil now. Take care. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning-me too-I try to concentrate on the steps-they were made poorly everyone is a different depth and size-crazy. we are to hit 80 degrees today and tomorrow and then drop again, glad you found the linen. happy stitching and Sunday

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit