Sunday, March 3, 2024

Buffalo Fiber Progress

   Good morning Sunday (or Monday for my European friends)  Today it's full sunshine and headed to the 80's F for a couple of days-then it will drop a bit for awhile but still spring temperatures.  Of course this up and down is wrecking havoc with my sinus's.

   Since Friday I have been playing with fibers. I started off with my blending board but did not like the results. This is a fun tool to layer fibers and them make into a long roving for spinning, but I forgot it doesn't really blend the fibers together. So I took apart what I had spun and redid it using my carders.

  The buffalo fibers being extremely short made a mess of my board too. This is what was left behind-so I cleaned this up with a flicker tool and put this away. 


This is a flicker and looks just like the one I have. 


So getting out my carders-first I put too much fiber on, so since I am not a super good spinner,couldn't get the fibers drawn out enough to make a yarn that was not super bulky. So took that apart and put much less fiber on.-the shetland wool fiber first and then the bufflalo fibers. You can see that the buffalo fiber is just a "mat" of very very short fibers. I can see why it will be good in the soil. 



  It took a few trys but by late yestereday this was going fairly well. Spun up, this is a coarser fiber which I am thinking I could use my mini loom to weave table mats or perhaps coasters.

 I am not happy that blogger has changed how to add photos to my blog. Instead of going to my photos like always-I now have to drag them to my blog-I am not good at doing that so what a process ugh The photos above went in but now they won't ugh. Will have to figure out how this works easier

  Ok I am back haha  Still not liking that google changed how to add photos. wonder why they did this? perhaps catering to cell phones? dont know as I don't have one of those.

Below fibers taken off the carders and then it is carefully rolled up,  and then carefully I pull the fibers out to spin which gives me a long piece to spin




My camera I am realizing takes blurry photos when I zoom in a bit. There is still bulky yarn on here, but the last of what I did is getting better.



  I am going to spin to fill this drop spindle up and then put it on my niddy noddy, get wet and then when dry see how the yarn is

 

  I made two loaves of gluten free pumpkin bread, for the sweetener the recipe uses maple syrup but the bread when baked has just a hint of sweetness.Of course I spread on some cream cheese to our slices-smiles.

    I am using the last quart jar of maple syrup that was gifted to us when we were still having deer camp at our woods home Our friend lives near Green Bay Wisconsin on his farm and he harvests his own maple syrup He had brought a large box of his maple syrup-such a generous gift-I gifted over half of it to friends at the time.




  Tomorrow I finally have my appointment to the eye doctor.My eyes have gotten so bad over the last year. Next week is dentist check up and then after that family doctor and blood draw that we do every 6 months-not sure if Larry will be able to manage the steps for that-we are just taking one day at a time.

  Have a good new week ahead everyone

24 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what becomes of these fibres. The pumpkin bread looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, the pumpkin bread was really moist and delicious

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your appointments.
    You are having quite a time with that buffalo hair.
    I am still putting photos in the same way. It will ask if I want to drop but I click out and do it the same old way.
    Your bread sounds wonderful. We are lucky to have a local person gift us maple syrup each year.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check that out on my next post-as I didn't see where I had a choice. That is awesome to be gifted the maple syrup-Larry loves it on the blueberry pancakes I make. so far fun with the buffalo fiber

      Delete
  3. Your bread looks good.
    I hope your eye appointment goes well.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a camera needs time to focus. I had on that I had to wait a few seconds for the automatic focus to stop fooling around.
    Good luck at the eye doctor.
    Baking this week would be nice. It has been ages since I baked anything but meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip with my camera-I will try that next time. this is a new doctor for me-much closer so hoping it goes well.
      Happy new week

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you're learning a lot about handling the buffalo fiber Kathy. I bet those short fibers are great at holding in heat when they're on the buffalo. We're having warmer than normal temperatures too. March is not coming in like a lion, that's for sure. It's maple syrup season here in NH. There's nothing better, is there? Have a great start to the new week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes this coarser layer must hold in the heat for the animal, as the really soft fibers are on top and in the spring they rub they off-that's what makes it so expensive very labor intensive to gather that softer fiber. yes we love having maple syrup around especially for pancakes-happy new week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, your flicker tool looks just the furmanater we use to brush the dogs. The results are a lot alike as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are having fun with your yarn! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is sometimes it sucks getting old. I am in the same boat with many upcoming appts. Hope all goes well for you. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots going on here! This is interesting about the fibers. That's out of my wheelhouse so I am enjoying learning your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this has been fun so far especially fibers sold only for soil amendments

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your fiber adventures with us! Wishing you a relaxing and enjoyable day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so impressed. You have really mastered the buff fibers. Yesh going to the doctors can be trying. Like you said, "One step at a time." Have a good day today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crazy, I can load my pics into blogger as usual.
    Good luck with the doctors. It does sound scary, esp with your eyes!!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the video link Kathy. I finally had time to watch it. I makes me want to go back to Iceland again and even more so, go shopping for some more yarn. Smile. I hope everything has gone well with the doctors. Thank you again. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome-as soon as I started watching it I thought of you-smiles

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit