Friday, March 29, 2024

Happy Easter To All That Celebrate & This and That

    Today we got up into the mid 70's early afternoon Morning was pretty nice too so I got back to the bringing down that pile of soil and getting it spread out.

   I got allot done today, hopefully I can finish that tomorrow, so I can get to weed eating the grass before it turns cold and rainy Monday.  It is really tall already which I suspected. I did a bit yesterday.

  The pretty dandelions are up so I collected a bunch. I will dry them and then steep in olive oil for a few weeks and strain-a good healing oil  If you are on Pinterest they have many recipes for making oils, salves and such with dandelion flowers. Just save some for the bees-as they usually are the first of the blooms.

  They start to dry pretty fast-this photo was taken a couple hours after I laid them out here.


      Larry had our friend bring down his suburban to the top of the steps so he could get back in easier as it is flatter right there. However, he had him drive over my pile of soil-not happy about that at all oh well. 


  Larry is in extreme pain today which I figured could happen as it is two days after his trip to get his driver's license. He takes no pain killers at all any more so he has to struggle through it.

  I wanted to share a lovely gift I received from one of my slow mail friends Debra last year. I don't remember if I had shared this piece already. I really love it and so thoughtful for our lake home.  I had it sitting on the mantel, but this week I found a spot to hang it. Thanks again Debra  This is on a wall in our dining area and the walls have wallpaper. The colors of the painting blend in nicely. especially the greens


  My new blog friend and slow mail friend mentioned she had made a pot of split pea soup. I am thinking I need to make some as I haven't in several years now. I always keep dried beans and lentils in storage so I grabbed a pound bag, and a bag of frozen diced ham. Soooo good. Larry can handle one meal and then no more for awhile-so I froze the rest of the soup


     I have not thought of what to prepare for our Easter dinner. Nothing too fancy as it is just the two of us and Larry is Jewish. Ham is so salty that I don't cook with that too often and we just had it in the soup a few days ago.

    I did bake the keto cheesecake that turned out delicious, and I had sliced up fresh strawberries but they were not very ripe and juicy. I miss not having farmer's strawberries.

  I am off to watch the first KC Royals baseball game that I recorded and also the KC Blues hockey game which I recorded as well.

  Happy weekend, Hoping you have nice weather too.

27 comments:

  1. I love making homemade soups and they freeze well...at least most of them do. I just saw a video on making dandelion jam that I want to try now. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds delicious you'll need to share how it turns out I love homemade soups and stews too I think most freeze well unless they have pasta or potatoes in them

      Delete
  2. I love pea soup but husband does not.
    I am so sorry he is in such pain with no relief.
    Our Easter gathering has shrunk with different sicknesses.
    Enjoy your sports
    Cathy
    Acornhollow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the family illness's Larry isn't crazy about pea soup but he will eat it once in awhile

      Delete
  3. A lovely gift. So sorry Larry was in pain. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow - it sure warmed up in your place - yippeee....
    That oil sounds great. I need to retire, LOL. There is SO much to do!!!
    Best wishes to Larry!!
    Ohh what a GREAT lake-gift you got!!! Happy times!
    The soup looks good, too.
    Yes, just the two of us, also for Easter. Maybe Toast Hawaii...
    Hugs to you and the lake! And happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there can be or many retirees travel Larry traveled the world before I met him-so he had no interest in doing that. The way the world is right now I feel safer at home in this rural area on a lake
      This is such a lovely painting-and i found the perfect spot for it where I can enjoy seeing it too.
      Hugs to you and Ingo Happy Easter

      Delete
  6. I hope Larry does better soon. That had to be an exhausting day. We're having ham, asparagus, deviled eggs and probably some potato thing for Rick on Easter. I'm just not into it at all this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some years that happens-still not sure what I am making today haha

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you've had lots of good food in your house lately Kathy. And nice weather. We seem to have gone into cold; isn't it almost April. I hope Larry feels better soon also,. Have a great Easter. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Erika, we were cold for awhile and in turned warm for Easter weekend-however bad storms coming in on Monday

      Delete
  8. Sorry that Larry is in so much pain. You seemed to be holding things together. I like, "Welcome to the Lake House" The soup looks very good too. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just learned something I never knew about dandelions, Kathy, but then I'm sure there is a lot more as well. Sorry to read about Larry's discomfort and hope he will be feeling better with some rest. Pea soup will be on our menu again as we are having ham for Easter dinner and there will be a ham bone to use as well as leftover ham! Sending Happy Easter wishes to you both from our home in NH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter dandelions can be made into so many things
      ham bones are so good in bean soups

      Delete
  10. I hope your Easter weekend was good.
    The wall! I didn't realize your wall is that tall. It sends home what you mean when you say steep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and that is where Larry slipped and fell over it's about 6 feet or so high

      Delete
  11. Hello, Happy Easter to you!!
    My husband makes Dandelion Jelly, it tastes like honey to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adding Larry to my prayer list. Thanks for sharing your active spring with us all. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your Easter weekend was good.
    We spent time with the family which was lovely, and now we are in April, the year is passing by so quickly.

    Sending my good wishes to you and your husband.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool that you made a healing oil from the dandelions, and how lovely of a greeting that gift is, and your soup looks delicious! Hope you have an amazing spring!

    xoxo, Midori

    https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-daughters-turns-one-photoshoot

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit