Friday, March 8, 2024

Spring Has Arrived & Catch Up

 Good Morning Friday,

  I believe Spring has arrived here in the Ozarks. In previous years we have gotten late cold even a light frost end of April or early May-but for now we have Spring.

  Almost 24 hours of rain yesterday-more to come- which has lots of greens popping all over the place-bushes, grass, perennials. 

  I did see Missouri is predicted to have a drought this summer, but that is ok with me-less grass cutting-smiles.

  I am sticking with my decision not to buy any plants this year. I love certain petunias to fill up large containers, but those never make it after July here. I have lots of annual flower seeds, so will plant them instead. After this rain stops and things start to dry out, I will be out there working on things-soooo much to do too. 

 Taking care of Larry since late October, I have not been up to cleaning house-like a really good dusting etc, or even my crafts-but This week I have dug out the wood preserver, cleaning rags and started with our main living area for a deep clean. Had allot of dust everywhere which has probably added to my allergies. Once one gets started-Wow looks so good now-smiles.  

  We have mostly vintage wood pieces-never was into modern furniture. I inherited my Mom's ranch oak couch we had when I was a child. It desperately needs new custom cushions made.  I had looked into that before we moved to the lake, and it was over $1000.00 back then.  I really don't like making cushion covers-was never that good at it and the good foam is quite expensive, so that is main cost. So still just making do with that for now

 Monday, I went to the new eye doctor, who is much closer than the one we were seeing since 2019- a surgeon for yearly checkups after our cataract surgeries. However, last year he informs me he no longer writes scripts for new glasses. -I really needed them last year too. When I found out my AT&T supplement insurance to Medicare was changing and would include dental and vision coverage, I decided to wait til this year.

  Good news after meeting with the new doctor is that I am still on a watch for glaucoma-nothing has changed, however my eyes are not focusing properly. After all the different tests, doctor says my eyes are very very dry so I am using drops several times a day for two weeks and then another checkup.  I started those on Monday but now my eyes feel a bit swollen and still not focusing on words etc very well. So will see what happens at my next visit.

  Larry had his last in-home therapy yesterday. I am surprised by this, as Larry is now walking better with the walker, but still tires very fast. He also has not had any help on tackling the steep steps and hill to get out of our home and into a car. I guess we will need to figure that out ourselves.  Our therapist did say if we wait a month, we can ask our primary doctor to contact them for more therapy. We have several must visits this month so will just take one day at a time. 

   Still having fun playing with buffalo fibers blended with Shetland wool and spinning. Can not seem to get into tying my large Yellowstone inspired quilt, so I am close to rolling that back up and putting away again til more inspired.

  This week I did make a big pot of chili made with ground bison along with cast iron pan of cornbread-yum perfect for a rainy day.

  This past week I also learned about an organization called Letters Against Isolation for those in nursing homes. Here is a link to their Instagram page    and to their home page here    I mailed out 7 letters to a nursing home in Montana this week-I think this will be rewarding for me and to the receivers. 


Happy weekend

    

   Bummer so difficult to add photos now sigh  

17 comments:

  1. Happy Springy Weekend!
    Great news Larry is getting around better
    Prayers for you both
    Glad to read you have good weather. Nice days can do a lot to make us feel better, happier, more relaxed.
    Good going on using seeds. The cost of plants last year still makes me shiver.
    Today I sowed CA Poppy, Bachelor's Buttons and naturtium color mix. This year, the seeds are in jiffy pots instead of homemade planters from plastic. There's a lot of seeds left over. I might just toss them in the ground when it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jiffy posts are nice to use. we use allot of plastic bottles for water so I get another use out of them. won't plant too much this year in them, but getting set up tonight to plant my cotton seeds-fun

      Delete
  2. You are busy, as always! Take care! Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Larry will improve -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy. It is good that spring is coming to your place. I did not know about Larry's problem with walking and your problem with eyes. But it is good to see that the situation gets better for you and him. Please take care of yourself. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great, optimistic post, Kathy! Springtime arrival, Larry improving (I'll bet they'll approve more after the month break), and time to clean and get some things accomplished. Well done! I hope you find a little bit of fun time over the weekend, but this is all good news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I am working on always staying positive things could always be much worse-sent you an email hugs

      Delete
  6. So good that Spring is coming nearer now.
    We've had a lot of rain recently but today has been a dry sunny day, it makes such a difference and we had a lovely trip out earlier. The daffodils are blooming really well and it's so nice to see them.

    I hope Larry continues to improve and that your eyes improve for you.
    Take care, lots of good wishes coming across the miles to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening, Hi Jan your area sounds like spring has arrived too-I love seeing the daffodils-they are my first flowers that pop up.
      Thank you, Larry tries every day but not over doing anything as that just sets him back again. My eyes are still an issue-hoping they improve over the weekend otherwise Iwill call the doctor on monday. take care-hugs

      Delete
  7. Spring has inspired me to do some deep cleaning too. Especially since it is still too muddy outside. I think I could spend weeks doing it in my house though; it's what happens with 2 dogs. Grin. It sounds like you've been busy though, and that things with your husband are coming along. I imagine it's tough to be patient though. Have a super weekend Kathy, and I don't know if you saw the thanks I send (a comment on your last post) for sending that video link. I liked it. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very wet here too, I need it dry more so I can move soil or burn some twigs and leaves.
      Yes I did see your comment and replied back too-I thought of you as soon as I started watching the video. Thought that was neat how many men also knit.
      Yes pets in the house can cause cleaning up the floors allot.we always had pets too, when our last two passed on we decided we were too olf for pets-sadly-as we would mostly likely outlive them-
      Happy weekend hugs

      Delete
  8. I am going to deep clean our living room today. Need to get this done with family coming over for Easter. It rained in the afternoon yesterday and evening. I decided to make mexican chicken chili and we had margaritas and a warm fire to take the chill out. Just heard tomorrow we will have snow. Spring has not arrived here yet. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I want to see any snow right now but it could happen for sure. yum your food sounds delicious. If I have a drink which is not very often any more it will be a margarita or a small shot glass of wine. take care hugs

      Delete
  9. Sounds like Larry is slowly but surely getting better. Keep him active and he will slowly regain his strength. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and he knows he must push himself to walk with the walker as much as he can handle it. Happy Spring!!

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit