Monday, February 12, 2024

Raw Cotton Update

   Remember the raw cotton I was gifted from a friend in North Carolina that lives near cotton fields?  She knows I like to play with fibers so she had sent me some thinking I would like the seeds. She says one can find the cotton still on the stems on the streets and highways after harveting.

  I shared that after being washed this cotton would not absorb any dye. So I bought a mordant-a fixative-and rewashed the cotton used the  mordant and soaked in the coffee-water for 24 hours. Still not much color take up at all.

  Sooo remembering tthat the cotton farmers use tons of chemicals to grow cotton, I did a research on what they might add before harvesting. Sadly I found a whole paragraph of chemicals and also one included killng the seeds that they apply before harvesting Not good at all.

    Soooo I just rinsed well, dried it and then since it was a tangled mess, grabbed a flicker-a fiber tool for cleaning-and worked to untangle. The fibers are soooo short that I just teased it all out with my fingers instead. The cotton is no longer a bright white but a softer white that I like better Those of you that followed me for awhile know I do not like white in a fiber project.



My original thought was to use this cotton for another needle felted "picture" art piece. Several years ago I did a piece with bears, that is framed and I love. Always wanted to do another piece. 

  While working with the cotton this afternoon, most of this cotton is sooo short, I got to thinking that perhaps I might make paper with this. Would mix it with a paper pulp. That could be fun.

  Any thoughts?  

  I am still without my car, I did know they were backed up when I took it in, but it is over 2 weeks ago now. My neighbor friend will give me a ride to town this week for some errands I need to do, and I will have her stop at the auto shop too. They are not returning my call which is so unike them

  Have a good week everyone

12 comments:

  1. I learned last week that cotton needs to be changed into those fibers like you have made and then spun into yarn/thread. However, I have no idea if spinning it into yarn is anything like what happens with wool because of course cotton isn't wool. I love the idea of you using it in paper though. That should be a fun project, and I hope you share the results with us. Have fun -hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried spinning cotton-I am not great with wool so far and this cotton has such short fibers that would be a dissaster for me I think. I am going to try making some paper though

      Delete
  2. Hope your car gets home soon.-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too-this is so unlike them and I need it back as March I have lots of appts to get to I am going to have my fiiend take me there this week to find out what it going on since they are not calling me back

      Delete
  3. Ohh I am so sorry about your car. And them not returning your call is worrying.
    My sweet friend did spun cotton bear for me. she made the form from foil and then layered the cotton with glue shaped and fiddled until she got the shape she was looking for.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really cool about yur cotton bear, I have not tried to spin cotton-this that I have was really really short in length My friend took me to the bank this morning, and we stopped at the auto place-they were working on it in the morning when we stopped by-I think they just got swamped with work and couldn't keep up

      Delete
  4. I admire the patience you have with cotton flakes. The addition of chemicals is to "kill the seeds" and make the process in the factory easier. In the past, sheep's wool was cardedI send you a video on how to spin after carding. https://youtu.be/Kp1zUjUrcco?si=GvJ9IgBlyRz_HWQA

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fascinating to hear about your journey with the raw cotton you were gifted from your friend in North Carolina! Opting for a more natural approach by rinsing and untangling the cotton with a flicker and your fingers seems like a wise decision, especially considering your preference for softer tones in fiber projects.

    I am inviting you to read my new blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun with your cotton! Lots of love to you on Valentine's Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you are still waiting on your car, very annoying and slightly worrying that they are not returning your call. Hope it will be sorted soon.

    Happy Valentines Day Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit