Sunday, January 8, 2023

T Stands for Handmade Ink

   Hi Everyone, and welcome to my Sunday-T Post.  I usually write up this post on Sunday so it's up a day early for friends across the ocean, and Sunday just seems to work out for me too.

   Find link in my sidebar for our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth where we share a drink related photo in our post for Tuesday

  After joining in on the 5 day challenge on Sketchbook Revival I realized I want to explore more handmade inks, watercolor inks, and my watercolor paints for my painting journey. If you are on Facebook their group is an inspiration to view the art there. I was really amazed and inspired with all the creativity for this 5 day challenge.

  Since I had mentioned I was using my own black walnut ink in my pieces, that opened up discussions in comments under my shared post. I knew about coffee ink but have not tried that yet-in comments an artist says she loves a good quality instant coffee as easier to make the ink as dark or as light as you want. I also learned in comments about using avocado pits to make a pretty ink.  Wow that has me inspired again-as I do miss all the natural hand dyeing and eco printing I did at the woods house.

I searched online and liked this tutorial the best  I will be making this one soon



  I learned of a new to me book on making inks I have this one in my wish list and I found this interesting review here for this book. The reviewer kept mentioning these inks would not work for fountain pens-I am thinking that would be a given.



  I already have this one in my library and it is an excellent source for inks too I really love this book and have referred to it often



So I am thinking since in the past I have done allot with natural dying, eco printing and more-that my next adventure will be making more homemade inks. Making one from berries sounds fun too.

I really liked this tutorial when I was searching online for information- very informative and professional too


One last link to share-one from Martha Stewart-simple and right to the point of just doing it. click here

  Besides working on painting better I really want to learn how to draw better. Actually I need to learn How to draw.

    I like the look of drawing with inks and then go back and watercolor.  My friend from France that I have been chatting with on google chat-referred me to the book Drawing on the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards 4th edition. When searching for a used copy I also found a work book to go with the book. This book is a best seller worldwide and has helped allot of people. I am anxious to get into this one. I also found a you tube where the artist is working through the book Here is the first episode


 For my drink share this week, when ever I shop at the small local grocery store I check out their water section--as it is always different. This pretty can caught my eye and it was good tasting too. They never seem to have the same products though when I go next time.




and the back of the can



   It has been really nice the last couple of weeks to be out of the below 0 degrees F temperatures-but it isn't so great for someone with allergies-up and down temps, very cloudy, fogged in and humid. I won't complain too much though better than super cold, ice or snow. 😀

The birds are enjoying their new feeder-a gift from a friend



Weekend sunrise



 
  Happy T and new week if you wish-click here for eagle pair video, wolf moon, and monday's art practice

34 comments:

  1. I am so happy you are exploring hand made inks. My mom made all of her own inks and dyes. It was always fun to watch her. Wonderful photos and the drink looks very interesting. How does it taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really enjoyed hand dyeing from plant materials, along with the eco dyeing that was allot of fun-so now ink haha The drink tasted pretty good, no added sweeteners which I liked too

      Delete
  2. I have used coffee as ink, and I like it. Instant coffee works the best because you can make it as concentrated or as light as you want. I've seen you use your walnut ink which is cool. I have never tried that. When I took drawing lessons (it was an adult ed night class through the school district where I live) we went through the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book. It was a good learning book for certain, so I would recommend it. I think learning to draw better is a good project for the new year. Have a great T day Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Erika, and sharing that you took a class with this book, I will start it soon hugs

      Delete
  3. I go hung up on the videos. I'm going to try the avocado ink. I have saved some pits and skins. I wrote a tutorial on red cabbage and how the color changed depending on the additive I used. One thing both reiterated was to add a clove to the ink. Although I wasn't saving my strained cabbage, since I was using it to dye fabric, I am glad they told me the need to do that if I make ink. As for the Martha video, I have used coffee for dyeing paper, and black beans, onions, cabbage, iris, grape juice, and turmeric to dye fabric. His inks were very vibrant. Thanks for finding these, Kathy. I look forward to trying to make inks rather than dyes from these plants/food products.

    The can of Petal looks beautiful and I was intrigued by the combination of strawberry, lemon grass, and dandelion. Thanks for sharing the videos, the books, and your drink with us for T this week, Kathy. LOVELY photos from your deck, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Elizabeth-I am excited too, will try making some of these inks. yes cloves helps with the preserving, although I have learned that mold on the black walnut ink is a good thing-so I only strain that off when I start a new quart canning jar of that ink. also thyme eo and or wintergreen eo is a good preservative too

      Delete
  4. Exploring handmade inks sounds interesting and I think you will love it. I hope you will tell us more about it in this space. Happy T day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carola, yes I will have fun with the inks for sure. Happy T

      Delete
  5. Wow, avocado pits for ink is really new to me!
    Thank you for the video, oh, but I always use the Mont Blanc my Mum gave to me.
    :-) Beautiful water-can, I´d fall for that, too!
    The birds here are very picky, so all goes to Peanut.
    Thank you for sharing your lake again, it must be so wonderful!
    Have a happy T-Day, dear Kathy, and a great week, hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to make the avacado ink-went food shopping today and bought avacados-and we love to eat those too. I also bought these gorgeous huge blackberries-for ink-my Larry says what??? haha at the woods house we had loads of wild blackberries but not here at the lake.
      it depends what birds you have near you too-- to put out their favorite seeds. we do enjoy the lake views here very much-especially early mornings-so peaceful and with the sunrise-different every day Happy T day-hoping your bday card arrives on time

      Delete
  6. Happy T Day, Kathy. Home made inks are fun. I made da,rk brown ink with coffee, iron shavings and gall, it looks great! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a jar of iron gall ink but haven't researched how that was made yet. I do love the black walnut ink very much. Happy T

      Delete
  7. It must be fun to make your own ink. Your lake view is wonderful, and the songbirds will appreciate that feeder :) I drink tap water lol No fancy water for me. That can design is pretty.

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I enjoyed years of making hand dyeing with materials gathered in the woods, so this brings me back to that creativity. The songbirds are loving this feeder-so far the squirrels haven't bothered it yet. I do have to bring it in every night to keep the racoons from breaking it on me. I don't buy fancy waters too often, but if they have something that looks interesting I will try it haha I love the pretty can too

      Delete
  8. WEll Kathy looks like you have found something to get your creative juices going.. :) I'm so glad. I love how you dive so deep into a subject. just immerse yourself really.. I do not think i'll be making my own ink in the future.. but i will LOVE watching you do it and experiment with it.. I will live vicariously through you!! Hubs received the rooster comb injection yesterday and he is off to play golf today in 80F weather! I hope to dive into the craftroom.. after visiting the T party of course! and i have to think of something to cook... lol Big hugs! AND happy T day! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realized how much I missed gathering things in the woods to make natural dyes with and then dying fabrics and papers with them. the handmade dyes will fill that void. I did some food shopping this morning and could not resist a package of fresh huge blackberries--to make ink haha.
      glad the doctor's appt went well, and wow 80 degrees sounds awesome-is that normal? I had frozen a meal's worth of tamales so got those our for our meal today-easy haha. Happy T Hugs back

      Delete
  9. How wonderful to be making your own ink and in so many different colours too, such fun 😊. Glad the temperatures are better, all the birds seem to be enjoying themselves. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes I think making inks will be fun-and then writing with them too. the weather is so much better than it was in December-a bit unusually warmer but I love it haha the birds are loving their new feeder Happy T hugs

      Delete
  10. I made ink from charcoal once. Fun. But I would rather work with inks that are known to be lightfast and waterproof. Will enjoying seeing your efforts. I love the birds at the feeder and the beautiful sunrise. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about the charcoal ink but don't think I want to make that I do love my black walnut ink I made fall of 2020 I ended up 6 quarts of it, almost went through one quart now. I do use microglaze over my inks to make them waterproof. the birds are really loving their new feeder Happy T

      Delete
  11. How exciting to be making your own ink! It sounds really lovely and right up your street.
    I will watch the videos later on on my iPad.
    Great photos of the birds around the feeder.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisca, this will be a fun project-making ink. the birds love the new feeder hugs Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathy, I got your message, glad the xmas card finally arrived. I will email you. I have two jars of avocado ink from a couple of years ago, they are holding up very well and are a pretty colour. I also have the Organic Artist book, it's really good, and I used the Betty Edwards book when I was in college, it's very helpful. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome that you made the avocado ink I am anxious to make this, also got some blackberries to make the berry ink. I really love the organic artist book too and thanks about the drawing book, i will start on that soon Happy T

      Delete
  14. Making your own inks will be fascinating - not something that I've ever thought about! Love the bird and lake pics. Enjoyed the eagles especially, Happy T Day, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Chris, I think making these inks will be a creative adventure and very fun to write and paint with too. The eagle pair ended up staying in that spot most of the day-we love being able to watch them here in our home. hugs

      Delete
  15. Beautiful sunrise. I watched the avocado ink making tutorial. I have avocado died paper but not made ink. Would love to try this. All very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Happy T day. PS How do you get to my blog before I even link with TSFT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon we have had some lovely sunrises. I am anxious to make some inks soon, bought the avocados today-they need to ripen up, and a box of large blackberries too. I added your blog to my reading list here on Blogger-the posts pop up in the order they are posted-smlles

      Delete
  16. I signed up for that challenge but didn't have a chance to join in. Maybe I will get to catch up.
    I loved seeing all the resources that you have been using to make inks. I added the first book to my list.
    I am a little late this week.
    Happy Belated Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, no worries at all-you are raising a young family-hugs.
      I haven't seen a good price for that first book-I try to find a good used copy. the next one is an excellent book that I have and really like.
      You can still do the challenge for yourself-it got me going this year with my art hugs Happy T

      Delete
  17. Good to hear about handmade inks. Making handmade ink sounds interesting. I like this sunrise view as well.
    Thanks for sharing with us too. Happy belated T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, the inks will be fun to make and use-Happy T

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit