Monday, January 2, 2023

Day 1 For Karen Abend's New Year's 5 Day Challenge Sketchbook Revival

  Bleubeard and Elizabeth sent me a link to join in the fun if I wanted to. I remember finding out about this a couple years ago and it was fun to follow along.

 Day 1 was  to copy off this image-inspiration was rounded shape and optional technique was ink

  This was the shape

     Nothing really came to me except perhaps a snowman or something with snow


Then I turned it sideways-and right off I saw a sheep. Went back to the painting book I was learning from last year and used that for a guide. 

 This is not an original thought for sure, but I had fun with it and used my inks.

I first drew out with pencil, then grabbed my black walnut ink and glass dip pen, and then remembered I had Winsor Newton watercolor inks-perfect and my dip pen loved those inks



I am still not great at making the sheep look like he is sitting down-but had fun with this exercise-and that is my goal this new year-to learn and have fun with art



22 comments:

  1. Kathy! I LOVE this! It is pure folk art, and quite beautiful. Please do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very creative! (I'm not good at doing things like that: even if I turned it like you did, I still would've had a blank stare, and not known what to draw.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is usually me, when I turned it the sheep popped into my head-are you on facebook? there is a group there for this 5 day art challenge-the artists works are amazing what they came up with

      Delete
  3. That looks like a lot of fun Kathy. You nailed that sheep! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun challenge! Love what you did with it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love you sheep! As Debra says “pure folk at.” I like your goal: to learn and have fun with art. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Mary-I have been too serious and critical with my art progress-so this year I am working on being more free with it to just enjoy the process more

      Delete
  6. I signed up for this and missed the first prompt but I see Karen included them today. I love your sheep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there were many today sharing their first day channel-on their facebook page amazing art being shared

      Delete
  7. Well i'm playing catch up! Kathy that sheep is just so clever.. And you did it so well with your ink... This challenge reminds me of the one i set for myself years ago.. I had to make up an image out of circles , then triangles, and squares.. it was fun... I'm off to see the other days! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Deb this one was actually a big hit on the facebook group which surprised me do to the talent there.

      Delete
  8. This is a generic copy and paste because I have so many I need to visit. I have been offline since early Tuesday morning. Not only did I lose internet and phone, I also lost heat and electricity. Thank goodness for extra blankets, layering, and two very warm fur babies. Just wanted you to know why you haven't heard from me.

    I'm so glad you joined that challenge. I'm not on Facebook, but when I saw the image this morning, I thought of a mother holding her child.

    I also want you to know that I checked my mailbox yesterday (first time it was warm enough to go outside) and I received your amazing postcard while I was offline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so happy your received the postcard-hugs and that you have heat again

      Delete
  9. OOPS, this was NOT the shape I was thinking of, but the shape from Day 3 when I saw a mother and child. DUH!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy this is so cute...I think the shape really lends itself to being a sheep. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit