Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Fajitas and Flat Bread

 Early in the week I took out a flat iron steak to make fajitas and then I remembered oh no I didn't have any flour tortilla shells for Larry. Not wanting to drive to the store I decided to make flat bread.

  Watched a couple videos and Wow so easy, found one using just flour and water. (sorry I forgot to bookmark the one I used) I have a bag of King Arthur's white whole wheat which is a more nutritious flour than their unbleached-that worked out really nice and Larry loved them I started with around 3/4 cup of the flour and added water as needed to make a dough-knead for a few minutes to bring out the gluten.  This dough divided into 5 balls-roll very thin-heat on cast iron til just browned on both sides. These stayed very flexible for rolling up-which Larry likes to do.

  I will make these again for him-no salt added and better than store bought, and he loved them

  


This one has just been placed on the pan


I may have shared this already but flat iron steak works out nice for fajitas. I cut very thin slices across the grain of the meat, toss with adobo spice, let marinate a couple hours. Fry in a very hot cast iron pan with a little oil til just brown, in small batches-set aside. I also first saute sweet onions, sweet peppers, poblano peppers if I have them, and fresh mushrooms. toss together-and then I add a drained medium hot diced peppers and chilis-and dinner is served sorry I didn't take allot of photos.

The saute'd veggies


fried meat-added to veggies


oh and for gluten free for me I like the corn tostados which I usually keep on hand, or I like this served over a sprouted brown rice too.

   These flat breads were so easy-and fun to make don't know why I had not tried this before.

  Happy Thursday

23 comments:

  1. REally, whatt would we do without internet??
    Great you could come up with this!!
    And you know what´s in there - perfect!
    Thank you, Kathy, marinating - a good idea! I have to (and do :-) learn so much still!

    To YUM! Hugs to you and the lake (I missed a pic! kidding)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will share a lake pic soon hugs these are sooo easy to make too

      Delete
  2. I will try those fajitas when I'm back home, great idea! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these were so simple to make I was so surprised how they were still pliable for rolling too

      Delete
  3. I have never made flat bread either, but you have convinced me I should try. My husband is the anti-spice but I could make pizza out of them or tacos maybe.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic meal! We love homemade tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thursday to you Kathy. Tortillas are on my baking wish list for 2023. Yours look yummy. Have a great Thursday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these were so simple I couldn't believe it haha and no salt added and no fat added just flour and water

      Delete
  6. Hmmm looks so good. I would rather make my own tortillas. Yes, they are so simple to do. Have a great day today

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy Kathy... all your food always looks yummy! lol We only eat chicken fajitas , one we feel its healthier for us and two its easier for hubby to eat. Sometimes we skip the tortillas and just put the filling on a salad as its healthier for us to do that with diabetes lurking.. All your food definitely makes my mouth water.. Funny just the other day a server made a mistake and served us beef fajitas... Boy were they good but so difficult to eat.. (hubs is short on some teeth).. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, Larry lost his teeth years ago from diabetes-I don't serve beef often but this cut paper thin-fried fast very very tender. this is a delicious dish these handmade flat breads are so much healthier than those store bought flour tortilla shells-loaded with salt too

      Delete
  8. This is new to me too, but something I will definitely try. The meat/ veggie mix looks so good. Thanks for the tip on making this in small amounts. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes frying up the meat in small amounts-keeps the meat more tender-you want a hot skillet with a little oil too

      Delete
  9. Am I dreaming, or did you share this for T Tuesday this week? Stress has taken its toll on my otherwise relatively impressive brain. Now I am nt sure what I'm seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I think a few weeks ago I did share fajitas on a T post-this one was mostly to share the flat bread-it was so easy to make and Larry loved it so wanted to share that

      Delete
  10. Wow Kathy this looks so delicious. It made my mouth water seeing all those lovely looking veggies and meat and homemade bread. Am going to have to try that flatbread...sounds so good. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This flat bread Larry really loved-and so easy to make-I don't think it will work for my gluten free flour as the recipe to knead to bring out the gluten-but I may try it anyway

      Delete
  11. Love me some cast iron cooking. We do flat bread all the time here. Often with a potato and flour. Very, very fun. Orange or white or yellow potato and spelt. So fun. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit