Wednesday, July 14, 2021

The Poison Ivy Saga Continues

   Good morning-(early for me at 2:20 am) 

  Just thought I would pop in really quick I am into the second week now of the poison ivy "saga"  It's probably been around 20 years since I got myself running into this. I should know better, since I am very allergic to it, and should have been wearing long sleeves and garden gloves-but now living on the lake and not in the woods-just never thought to run into it. Wrong haha and I should have remembered as the first spring we were here I spotted some in the iris beds.

   Usually I head right to the doctors office to get a steroid shot-but the rash popped up-about 4 days after-and we were scheduled for the first covid shot-we chose pfizer shot and one is suppose to wait at least a week after that to get a steroid shot. It also popped in on my arms around 4th of July weekend.

  This is one of the worse cases I can remember getting, rash-huge blisters-burning and instead of itching more like little pins jabbing my skin.  So they got me in late yesterday-yep a very bad case-gave me a really strong steroid shot that after about an hour made me nauseated. He also gave me a week of steroid pills-high dose to low-and said important to continue with the Benadryl every 6 hours which he said was important to do.  I said oh bummer I don't feel like a long drive to wal mart-he says no need right next door to the clinic is a pharmacy-oh Wow. That saved me soooo much time. The pharmacist was explaining on how to take the pills and she said you are the forth poison ivy case today. There must be allot of it around with all the rain we have had.

  I am glad now that I didn't sign up for Fiber U which is this coming weekend, as I think I would still be uncomfortable and it's a longer drive now. Also I was really bummed that my favorite natural dye instructor was only teaching a beginning class this year and most of the spinning classes were more advanced. I love spinning but I just don't think I will be super good at it. This year they also had many knitting and crochet classes beginning to advanced. I should probably take a beginner crochet class as many handwoven garment finish the necklines and sleeves with crochet or knitting.  However, I did discover from their Facebook page that there are weavers and spinners in the town next to us-as one person was looking for a ride so that is good to know.

  I am still waiting for the natural white 8/2 cotton that I ran out of for my warp. I check them everyday. This cotton is made in Brazil and was do in end of June-hoping soon.

  So if you are working outdoors in your garden beds-be aware of the poison ivy and poison oak that could be lurking to "attack" there is also a poison sumac too-which I haven't seen here in Missouri.


 and the poison sumac which is different from the "good" sumac



Below is the edible sumac (the leaves eco print well and these berries make a delicious tea the Native Americans early settlers would use it)


   Happy mid week

15 comments:

  1. Sorry Kathy, that sounds bad. During my year in America we went for a hike and I had a terrible rash from poison ivy, I didn't know it, as we don't have it here. Hope you soon feel better. Take care and rest! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Valerie, that's good your area doesn't have poison ivy wonder if they have something else similiar

      Delete
    2. I had to google this about poison ivy in Europe I found this
      They are not native in Europe, but there is one location in the Netherlands where poison ivy was planted in the early 20th century to control erosion of a dike, perhaps as an experiment. Today it is thriving there but it is not known to occur elsewhere in the country, so apparently the plant does not form viable seeds in the Netherlands.

      Apparently it has also been found at one location in Germany and one in Austria.

      Delete
  2. An important post for anyone living where things grow! Feel better soon, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds miserable Kathy. I am one of the lucky ones who never gets poison ivy, BUT, I have have chronic hives for almost 4 years now (just way too active an immune system that won't shut off), so I can sympathize with the poison ivy symptoms. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our late friend Lilburn same-never effected with poison ivy-he could pull it out of the ground and nothing would happen. chronic hives sounds worse-

      Delete
  4. We live with all those bad guys. I do respect them and try to avoid them, but do occasionally get an itchy bump or two. As I told you, a dab of straight bleach will clear it up. Obviously I don’t have a severe allergy to it like you do. Hopefully your rash and blisters will be gone soon so you can get back to your knitting, as my mom used to say. You already have a great amount of knowledge about plant dyes, etc. I will remember the good sumac next time I want to do some ecoprinting. Have you tried dying cloth with the sumac berries?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrible! Hope the drugs help soon! I also suffer from Hives, also known as urticaria. I get it from different things. It starts at the small western end, and continues down to the ankles. I have to be careful with eating and very careful with medications. acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) makes me have very bad symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for speedy healing. I am so sorry to read you are having an awful time of it. Thank you for the photos, good reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I was thinking it was a good time to share photos of these poison plants

      Delete
  7. I have a friend who lives on the river and she ran into a patch of poison ivy, She described it similar to yours. Blisters and pus. I hope the steroids work for you and you feel better soon. Sorry you had to miss the Fiber U events, but it sounds like you know more than most in dyeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Elizabeth, if one is really allergic to poison ivy it can be bad and one just needs to get the steroids. I think I have been to Fiber U every year now-last year was canceled due to covid and this year none of the classes really inspired me. and I don't need to buy any more fiber at this point-a huge temptation smiles I have done allot of natural dyeing since retirement back in 2003 so I just don't need a beginner class-but I am hoping the teacher inspires allot of people.

      Delete
  8. Looove the new blog-outfit you have!!!
    2:20 am?! Oh, boy! Sorry you have that allergy. Hey... my bed?!, "LOL".
    Too tempting to not fall for this. Even if my name is not related to the flower.

    Oh. You´re like Ingo. If you get something bad it´s on the worst date to do! Ingo hits Easter or other long weekends with days off...

    Oh, thought at first you´re one of "those" spinners. A push-bike, driving nuts going faster and faster - makes me dizzy to just see those guys! (It´s in the ads on TV).

    I feel quite very, VERY thankful (knock on wood) I have no such allergies. Accept a virtual hug, please, even if that does not help.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit