Friday, July 16, 2021

Cast Iron Saturdays-Cakes

  Welcome back to Cast Iron Saturdays where I share recipes using cast iron cookware-bakeware.

   This week I wanted to search out cake recipes baked in cast iron over and under the coals. I have baked this way in the past and have really enjoyed this baking process. I sometimes think of those before me that baked this way before the convenience of indoor appliances.

   First recipe is from a blog I used to follow, the author has not posted since 2016-I have found allot good recipes here

  Cowboy Coffee Cake



Dutch Oven Chocolate Pudding Cake

   This is an interesting recipe-all from scratch-does have allot of sugar -I would change that up a bit. This one is baking in your oven, but you can use coals top and bottom outdoors.



Dutch Oven Pineapple Upside Down Cake


I personally don't like to use foil when baking. I would use nothing or parchment paper instead or parchment paper-then a trivet-then use a cake pan to fit inside the dutch oven on top of trivet-baking this way gets the cake off the bottom so won't burn or get over done on the bottom.




Blackberry Apple Upside Down Cake

You can choose your favorite fruits for upside down cakes-this recipe has oven temperatures and how to bake with the coals




Dutch Oven Dump Cake

   I thought I would share this one-many campers use a similiar recipe-using canned pie fillings, soda, cake mixes easy to take along on a camping trip Again I would change the foil to parchment paper.



Old Fashioned Sugar Cake

  This one is baking in your kitchen oven-but you can change that to baking outdoors in your dutch oven


I will close with two cheesecake recipes.

     My Wisconsin friend was challenged a few years ago to bake her famous homemade cheesecake in a dutch oven with coals top and bottom. She did it-actually just about anything can be made in cast iron over and under coals-the pioneers did it everyday.  

   This recipe is baked in your smoker

Smoked Cheesecake


Dutch Oven Cheesecake

  This cheesecake is baked in your dutch oven over and under coals



   Happy weekend everyone, prayers for those in harms way with flooding.


11 comments:

  1. Your selection of fantastic cakes has me drooling again, and now I am craving some cake, but I'll have to make do with toast! Thanks for the prayers for those endangered by the floods! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of lovely cakes! These posts are quite an eye-opener about using a dutch oven. It is more versatile than I thought. I also would not use foil but oven paper.In fact I don't like using foil for oven cooking except when I am roasting a chicken,duck or turkey and then I cover it with foil for a while to keep the juices in,which I later remove. My heart goes out to the families in Germany and Belgium and all the lives lost in the horrendous flooding there. Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped using foil for most things quite awhile too-and I don't let it touch the food-I will use it sometimes to wrap thinks over a fire, but with parchment paper first.
      This is so awful the loss due to flooidng

      Delete
  3. I don’t even own one piece of cast iron. Just too heavy for me to handle. The only baking I’m doing in this HOT weather is special biscuits for our dog who is on a trial diet for allergies. Lol. Your baked goods look scrumptious! Foil is starting to go begging in my house too. Parchment paper is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy Kathy. I hadn't heard of cowboy coffee cake or sugar cake before. I had to check those out. Now I have the urge to go make a cake, and maybe I will since it is supposed to rain all weekend. Hope yours is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I look forward to seeing which cake you will bake. I wasn't familiar with these two either, the sugar cake sounded like something my farm girl grandmother would have made.
      we had allot of rain coming friday into saturday-over 2 inches for sure we are sunny and humid now

      Delete
  5. Nice recipe line up
    The smoked cheesecake sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite of your Cast Iron posts (even though I don't eat a lot of cake, Dan does.) He loves pound cake which looks a lot like your old fashioned sugar cake.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit