Saturday, July 17, 2021

Ready for Next Weaving Project

    You may remember me mentioning that I ended up short of 100 ends (threads)  8 yards long for the warp. I had decided to go with 8 yards so I could get extra towels, not thinking to calculate the yardage I needed.  I have waited over 2 weeks in hopes Webs will get this 8/2 Valley Cotton in stock. Talked with them Friday and they just have no idea when it will arrive-was due  end of June.

    So, I decided to just use the very light grey that I have and make two stripes in the towels-will save me money in the end. I think it will add a little design element and be ok.

   I think these will weave into thicker kitchen towels as I will be putting two ends (threads) in each slot on the reed. This seems to be a popular towel pattern, as several in a weaving group on Facebook I am in, said they really liked this pattern.

   I decided to do a little video.


and a couple photos

    This is the first section of warp I did. I needed 490 ends total, which would not all fit onto my warping board. So I did the rest in two more sections to distribute the grey threads



This is allot of warp to get onto the loom-to keep it clean, I put it in this big canvas bag-perfect.


  The lake is very very busy with boats today (Saturday). Saturdays are usually the busiest in the summer months.

   Poison ivy saga update---I have two more days of the steroids, and I still have a mild rash and burning. I am not familiar with the steroid pills they gave me-but they have made me sick. Am very light headed and my chest even hurts, probably helping with the asthma as well-ugh   I really hope this will finish clearing up on it's own. I do Not want another dose of these pills.

  I don't know how to swim, don't do boats, but Larry's fishing boat he bought around 5 years ago is really nice-wider and sets up above the water allot more than some. It's been very very quiet here during this past week, so I got brave and took a boat ride to see all the lake homes around us. I really enjoyed it, no one on the lake when we were out-so I didn't freak out haha.  Wow I can see now that this end of the lake has many very high dollar lake home properties-beautiful. I am guessing many of these very large homes with allot of property are into the millions. I am thankful and feel fortunate that we found this one at a reasonable price. Our lake home needed allot of work which I think scared off some of the buyers.

   Have a good weekend everyone. oh and if you missed it-previous post is cast iron Saturdays baking cakes in dutch ovens.


12 comments:

  1. Kathy enjoyed seeing your video...I have never done weaving but it looks like it would be a wonderful calming activity. As for your poison ivy...pray you will be well soon. Used to get it myself but over the years I have built up an immunity to it and actually can pull it out with my bare hands and am not bothered. Well take care friend and hope your weekend is good!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's awesome you have built up an immunity to the poison ivy-I don't think that will happen for me-I have always been highly allergic to it.
      glad you enjoyed the video-happy new week

      Delete
  2. I am amazed at how much yarn you thread onto the loom. I can see why this pattern is so popular with your group. We had more rain this afternoon, which we are thankful for. I am into deep cleaning the house and made a great dent in it today. Hopefully, you can alternate working at the loom with a bit of boat watching. It does sound like a peaceful way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, setting up the loom takes the most time-and patience so I thought I would do a long warp for this-hoping to get allot of towels.
      We just got a little rain that came through about a half an hour ago-looking at the weather this may be the last of it for awhile. Hoping you got all of your hay in before the rain-happy new week

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you had to work with so much thread, but if you get more towels from it, that's good. Glad you had a boat ride, sounds fun. Have a great Sunday, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I did really enjoy the boat ride. enjoy your Sunday as well-hugs

      Delete
  4. It´s plain amazing. I hate this over-used word, but wow, so much work for a towel!
    Meds. We have to be thankful if we need them but the side effects are sometimes horrible - I´m with you (and I got so many I didn´t even need).

    More lake-pics? Please? I´d like to see the houses, oh, just to dream of being rich and having that...

    Too cold here, still, 18C is no summer (I complain a lot, huh... but.... rightfully ;-)...)
    Still... to a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. weaving is an adventure haha
      these steroid pills have made me sooo sick, today really made me sick-I think I will cut them in half and take them at night to get them down.
      I will take the camera next time-promise

      Delete
  5. Kudos to you for making do with what you have! The towels will be lovely and unique. The most peaceful times we had when we lived on a lake years ago were from our boat during weekdays slowly trolling along to enjoy the high-end property scenery. Other than those times, when the lake was congested on weekends we closed our doors and windows to the noise. There were numerous boat accidents and it was no longer fun to be on water on weekends. We didn’t take our boat out then, just too dangerous. When we were forced to move away because of my husband’s work, we chose a house in semi-rural woods in a different part of the state. Except for a noisy gun club a couple times per week only a mile away, it’s fairly peaceful here with lots of wildlife for my trail camera. Our old lake is still there, but not in good shape. Weeds and algae have taken over which is hard to imagine for that section of the largest lake in our state. We had severe storms overnight here but they did not bring relief from the humidity. This has been a very bad year, like everywhere else, for uncomfortable weather. I’m ready to move north, very far north, but they have climate problems there as well. Let your weaving bring feast and peace as you get over the allergies and medication.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you said you called Webs for Valley Cotton, I was wondering if that is the Wens Yarn Store in Massachusetts? I know they do quite a mail order business. And good for you to take a boat ride. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hope it was a good weekend and hope the poison ivy goes away ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your weaving looks so complicated to me!!! Yikes! But I do love the outcome-there's just nothing like homemade cloth or knitted or crocheted made. I do knit! Sometimes that can be complicated, so maybe I could actually weave....But I do love seeing you do it! Good for you, going out in the boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Debra, that was a biggy me going in the boat haha I enjoyed it though so want to go again. weaving is a process-steps before actually weaving I never could get knitting lol

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit