Thursday, February 18, 2021

We Are Still Iced In-videos

   This will be a winter to remember for sure. The lake of the ozarks does not freeze over like this very often.

   We have been sooooo cold and we got about a foot of snow too. So the lake is frozen over with lots of snow on top.  I have managed to keep the steps and a path up to the  mail box cleared. We discovered too that our rural circle road here does not get plowed. I was not planning on going any where in these temperatures-not good for my old car either. We are almost out of fresh foods though so hoping if the weather man is right and we will jump up into the 50's over the weekend-I can go food shopping early next week. Wow that is quite a jump going from negatives to teens during the day just before that.

  The concern now is that the lake will be getting lowered soon as they need the water to make electricity-I think I understand that right. Bagnell Dam generates the electric for this area.  Also the lake always gets lowered now through early spring anyways to handle the spring flooding.  So in this bitter cold, and high drifts of snow Hubs needs to go out to the dock this morning, to see if he can manage loosening the cables so they don't snap as the ice shifts etc.  scary stuff for me I worry about everything.

  I took a couple photos and videos-excuse our dirty windows they have spider webs on them

  This first photo was taken from a window in the room my desk computer is in-it looks toward our neighbor on the right. This flock of geese were resting on the ice and snow


First two videos are of the lake totally frozen over



This one was taken Valentine's Day just before the ice enclosed our dock-boat and sea wall


After all these videos were taken we got allot of snow about a foot with drifts when I shoveled the path. Yesterday we got another inch or so.  I saw a photo in a group I follow for my area of the lake-and there was a pontoon boat that got loose and is now iced in sideways in the middle of the lake. Allot of damages are predicted for boats and docks as the ice shifts and melts. fingers crossed we will be ok.

The gas and electric company has asked us to conserve energy-no usage of extra appliances-like slow cookers, washing machines etc, not to use much hot water, and to lower the thermostat. I wish we would have had a working wood stove here at the lake house so we could feel warmer. I keep the thermostat at 72 which just keeps the chill off in the air but I lowered it to 69 to conserve.  I have been soooo thankful we did not lose our electric-as of yet.

This will all be a memory soon I am thinking  stay warm and safe everyone. I have done allot of reading during this time.

Update 9 am:  I stand corrected I went up to mail in the box to go out and our road got plowed-must have been pretty late in the day as I didn't hear him-perhaps the garbage will get picked up next week-been 2 weeks now with no pick up do to cold and our road.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my, this looks very cold and icy! The temps here have risen, it feels like spring is coming! Stay safe, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very cold and we had to turn down the heat in the house to conserve energy warm up saturday

      Delete
  2. Your area doesn't sound so good-but I'm so glad you have electricty. Please stay safe while walking on the ice-if your paths are icy. Ours are. Your lake looks pretty cold and not too inviting-so different from summer time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am sooo thankful we have our electric.Yes this morning my path up to the mail box was back to being very icy again even the snow is icy to walk on -ugh yes a total different look for sure

      Delete
  3. Even in the beauty of the lake area, there are challenges and hardship, but hopefully they will soon be a distant memory. I think we are all looking forward to an early spring. Hopefully, the dock cables can be adjusted so there will be no damage, but it all does sound a bit frightening. I can't help wonder if the ice can cause problems for the turbines at the dam. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes this was scary business it is just too cold for Hubs to about their working he just does a little bit at a time. hadn't thought of the turbines but that is a good question you stay safe and warm as well

      Delete
  4. It is amazing how cold so much of the country is in. I hope you keep your power. It's scary to have no heat in this cold. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Stay warm the best you can. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracious, stay warm takes on new meaning. It is good to have a dry food emergency box, heat up water and eat for the winter just in case. The food in the box that is. I forget what they call the packets.
    Prayers all goes well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea we do have foods in the freezer and in cans but we are getting really low on fresh foods-veggies for salads and yogurt
      thank you

      Delete
  6. Such a huge lake totally frozen, yikes it must be windy and very cold indeed! Here all snow is gone.
    Yes, the damage left behind. Our streets likely will be dangerous with holes in them due to frost and Hubby has to drive every day.
    Hope you stay well over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it has been super cold here hopefully the warm up soon. we are worried about the dock damage, Larry went out to loosen cables and he is sick now from just being out there a very short while. thanks for thinking of us

      Delete
  7. If you haven’t already, put some water in your bathtub for using to flush toilets if power goes out. Our north Jersey lake froze over every year when we were there. Many ice fishermen in huts on the ice were a sight to behold. One of the eeriest sounds I ever heard was in the middle of the dark cold nights when the ice cracked. A wood stove would be a comforting backup, but at least you haven’t needed it yet. The worst is probably in Texas, unbelievable there. Your photos and videos are telling, but pretty for winter. Take heart, it’s going on March. Milder here this morning and I hear birdsong.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit