Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone & The Deep Freeze Continues

   Happy Valentine's Day all, we are still in a deep freeze here and the temps are still going lower and lower each night and day. We are now in the negatives at night for the next few evenings.

   Baking is always good when it's cold. Our home is keeping up, but there are spots in the house that are quite chilly. We have not lost electric so that is an absolute good thing as we have no back up heat source here at the lake. Before we always had our wood stoves.

  I baked up a half batch of my favorite vanilla cut out cookies that I bake up at Christmas. I dug out my heart cutters and just finished up this morning. I changed to gluten free flour, mostly keto sweeteners except for the little bit of corn syrup that is used in this recipe. I think this ingredient helps to keep the cookies softer.  I found a keto frosting that turned out really good recipe here  If you want to go dairy free just use a nut milk or even water I would think would work. 


  The sprinkles are not keto They turned out pretty. I put some in the cookie jar and froze two packages for later. They taste really good too



As I mentioned we are in a very very deep freeze that continues getting worse each day. It is so bitter, and we are still icy on our circle drive that the garbage pick up did not come last week, and we have not gone out. I need to get to the grocery store soon as we are running out of fresh foods. It will be several days yet before we begin to get out of this cold cycle.

I follow a group on Facebook that is about the doings on the west side area of the lake which is where we are. Many coves and low water areas are now totally froze in.  I grabbed a few photos. 

   You can click on the photos for larger viewing. This first one you can see the iced areas in front of the lake -- that you can see towards the back.  

     We are on a main channel, one of the reasons so much traffic in front of us during the summer but we wanted deep water. We do have ice around our dock a bit

                   





I took this photo of our neighbor to the right of us-you can see the huge ice block that the waves splashing onto his cable have caused


  When I look out our windows straight ahead, there is a cove in there-that is all iced in. Not sure what damage this will cause the docks.  I took a couple videos I will share later,  need to upload them to my you tube for better viewing.

For our 2 pm main meal I guess I have an odd combination, I found in the frezer chicken soup that I made a couple weeks ago and one more bag of shrimp so I am serving those with tossed salad and brought out a bottle of Yellow Tail Cabernet Sauvignon  Soup sounds good cause I am chilly and perfect day for shrimp.

Stay warm and safe everyone, and I love the valentine cards I received from two of my pen pals-thank you.

21 comments:

  1. I received my Valentine from you Kathy!!! Thank you!!!! I'am not on the ball enough to have gotten Valentine's Day cards out ... lol We are bitter cold too.. in the negatives at night.. crazy.. snowing right now.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, stay warm this cold snap seems to have hit a large area. my friends in Kentucky had a huge ice storm and no power for 4 days or so
      I don't usually send out Valentine cards but thought I would this year for fun stay warm-hugs

      Delete
  2. Yes this morning we got up it really looked super cold out there-and it was. I have lots of cookie cutters, its always been just the two of us-I used to bake and give away to those with children. I love being in the kitchen. Yes the soup is just what I needed-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although St Valentine's Day is celebrated here more or less the same as in the Uk there are differences. They usually give a gift/flowers to the husband/wife or boy/girl friend but no card. Cards are not very popular and not always easy to find. As for giving an anonymous St Valentines card to someone the Spanish would find it extremely strange. I gave up trying to find St Valentine's cards here years ago :-)
    I can quite understand you choosing a hot soup for lunch even looking at these snapshots of the lake make me shiver. It looks tough there! stay safe Amanda x PS: have checked with the post office and there is no restrictions about sending and receiving post from/to the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw how cold it was in your area on the news tonight. It is colder than we are right now, and you are so much further south. Too cold for sure. I hope those docks don't suffer when the ice pulls out if it gets too thick from all this cold. Your cookies look so festive too. And tasty. Baking is a good thing to do on a wintery day, isn't it? Well, it is good to do most days actually. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, I was wondering if our area made the news-I no longer watch any news on the tv or the weather either. this is such a long stretch of this too-not normal at all for this area. I don't see a warm up til end of next week-thats a long time. I love baking too, and when its cold outdoors is nice to be busy in the kitchen. Happy new week to you as well-hugs

      Delete
  5. Buurrrrr I am sorry it is so cold there. The cookies look amazing thanks for the link. The photos are beautiful but no more snow for me. Yep hot soup is the perfect meal. Have a warm and nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks we just are not used to this kind of cold and for long periods of time either. the hot soup hit the spot along with the shrimp Have a good new week ahead

      Delete
  6. Looks very challenging there with so much ice and unbelievable temps, I’m tired of winter and snow too, but it was in the 40s today, low in the 20s at night. Definitely not complaining!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Valentine's Day Sweetie. The cookies look great. We baked heart cookies, too for all of the patients! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning that's awesome Valerie I knew I couldn't be the only one making heart cookies-hugs I know all the patients loved them happy new week to you as well

      Delete
  8. We had -17C/-27F but something warmed my heart today!!!
    Ingo brought in happy mail from you, thank you soooo much!
    To be exact: My first real Valentine´s mail!
    Huhhhh. Reckon your really freezing whatever off there!!! Yikesy, THAT looks cold!.
    Hmmm, chicken and wine, please :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow you got the slow mail card pretty fast yes it is really cold here ugh

      Delete
  9. Thank you for your Valentine card to me! Please stay safe in that awful cold. We are getting a huge snow storm as I write. Our temps will be in the twenties all week-so we're glad of that. Your cookies look so pretty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your most welcome-20s and snow is better than this deep freeze I think-but neither one is great either-lol stay safe hugs

      Delete
  10. It's pretty obvious how much you enjoy being in the kitchen. As I have said before, when you talk cooking, I listen! I am sure your Mr. loved the Valentine cookies. It has been a very cold and snowy day here today. I blogged about it. I think of you there on the lake and hope all is well these oh-so-cold wintery days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, you got allot of snow there, we are at -9 degrees f this morning, once it gets light I will be able to see if our docks are enclosed in ice-the ice is rapidly spreading on the lake. thank you-the valentine cookies were a big hit. stay warm-hugs

      Delete
  11. Looks like the whole continent is in deep freeze right now. We are used to it, but I can imagine that in the deep south where they don't have the equipment to handle it, or even really warm clothes, it must be a shock. And we too had a bottle of the same Yellow Tail last evening - and damn good it was too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, sw missouri does get winter but it is unusual to last this long and to be in the negatives for many days as well. Hoping the docks on the lake including ours comes through with no major damages.
      I loved this wine-so smooth

      Delete
  12. Wow, the ice on the lake looks pretty thick. Ugh. Great idea to make heart shaped sugar cookies, using the Christmas recipe. They look delicious. Happy belated Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and this morning with the negative 10 degrees f the whole lake is now froze over-another cold one tonight as well-won't get to 30 til the weekend-sigh. I enjoyed making these cookies, I always forget to make us some heart cookies-they did turn out really tasty. Happy Valentine's Day to you as well

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit