Friday, February 19, 2021

Books I have Been Reading

   During this cold snap I have been doing allot of reading. I can't concentrate on my hand quilt project, or an art project as I am a person that worries too much-always have. One of the reasons I did not want children-worrying would drive me crazy.

   This ice here is not a good thing-the docks are not set up to "go with the ice" as it melts. Hubs has tried to free the cables but the weather is so frigid he should not be out there with his heart and lung health concerns, he came back really sick from yesterday's mission. (about 15 minutes is all it took) He did get one of the cables loosened.   I am giving him Vit C echinachea-goldenseal, oreganol, and blackberry extract (sugar free)  A hot shower, a shot of whiskey and lots of covers when he came back in the house He is feeling better this morning at least not worse.

  I thought I would share some books I have been reading

    I enjoy going through Erika's book list each month and usually pick up at least one. I check kindle e books first as I really do not have much bookshelf space left for the actual books.  I do have a limit on what I will pay for an ebook as well. I prefer under $3.99 will go up to $5.99 on occasion but that is my limit. My kindle must have allot of money on it right now even with these lower prices haha.

  A couple of the books on her list were just too expensive for me those authors usually have a publisher handling their sales-I just will not pay the $7.99, 8.99 and much higher for an ebook.  Do you have a limit on what you will spend for an ebook??  I have not had the convenience of using a library since we retired-they either charge a fee for the use of their library if you don't live in that city or county or they are just too far away to be practical So I  buy books instead.

  I don't read murder mysteries very often but I have read a few now this month.

Erika suggested Murder at Melrose Court by Karen Baugh Menuhin and I really enjoyed that one. I also picked up the second book in the series The Black Cat Murders but after that these ebooks get too expensive for me.

She also suggested The Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle which intrigued me. I thought perhaps my husband would like this set. Searching around online  I found a like new boxed set of this series that were like new and at a really good price. I have not read these yet.  I have found if I am looking for an actual book allot of times I find them on Ebay. Many charities are selling like new books for under the normal sale price online.

I have also branched out from amazon and ebay to abe books, thrift books and others to compare prices.



  I just finished the second of a series that I really like It is about an underwater investigative unit that works with the police departments in Florida. I found this one interesting as I know nothing about diving, or crocodiles and such. The author is very detailed in his descriptions, the characters are real and the one I just finished was a cliff hanger til the very end. The author is Andrew Mayne. The first book in this series is The Girl Beneath the Sea which the price is very low, and the second book I just finished is Black Coral. If you like his stories his third in the series is up for pre order at a reduced price as ebooks on kindle.






Another author I have grown to enjoy is Belle Ami. Her series are all very different which is not the case with most authors I have read so far.  Her Out of Time thriller series is one of my favorites. and her Tip of Spear thriller series was totally out of my normal read but the series was like watching a movie.  I saved a series of hers to read last as I wasn't sure I wanted to read it. It was her first published books, another thriller, murder mystery but allot of erotica that I didn't really want to read. I skipped over most of those but the plot was excellent. I had contacted her about something and she wrote me back that day-and told me she was planning on re writing that series as it didn't meet her standards now.



This last book I want to share is just really nice and am happy I purchased it. This is a gorgeous hard cover with beautiful photos. This is not a book of how to's but more of a meditative read-if that is the right way to put it. There are several books out now about slow stitches also sashiko. I was looking at sashiko books but settled on this one instead.  In the title it reads Slow Stitch-mindful and contemplative textile art by Claire Wellessley-Smith.   I have read half way through the book now, it's calming, and contemplative.  The author did show how she dyes threads with natural plant materials which I have not yet tried, I may do that.

What are you reading this winter?

.

9 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I’m sure your reading time is better spent than mine! Reading quickly makes me sleepy, so I set my time aside for it after getting into bed at night. I collect hardcover books from a couple authors, Mitch Albom is my favorite. Other than those I use an e-reader also, and will order anything that looks interesting as long as it’s FREE. Haha! I’m signed up with Freebooksy to receive email updates on what’s free, and there are other sites that notify as well. “Slow Stitch” looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the Murder at Melrose Place and A Wrinkle in time. And I hate when books get more expensive as you go through a series. I've used eBay for books and I also use amazon for used books, although sometimes they are not cheap either. The Black Coral book looks good. I am going to add it to my wish list. And I noticed Laurie finished the Amelia Peabody series. I am listening to book 2 of those and they are a lot of fun. Looks like you did some good reading Kathy, and I enjoyed reading about what you read. Hope you'll see warm weather soon. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Erikia I would suggest grabbing the book before Coral Reef you will get to know the characters better-that one was inexpensive, coral reef was really good so worth the extra money-I missed the discount on that one. yes we finally going to warm a bit tomorrow I got more shoveling done this afternoon too

      Delete
  3. I just looked up your book series and sigh the kindle version is really expensive over 9.00 sigh used books could be less will check it out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the weather has been perfect for snuggling under a warm blanket and reading a good book. you have some great recommendations. I have had the Slow Stitch on my want list for some time. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed it. I am not deep into anything right now, but am reading a couple of books that can be put down, then picked up when the mood strikes. Letters from Honey Hill ~ A Woman's View of Homesteading 1914-1931. This one just might give me some ideas for writing my own letters :~) The second book is The Garden Cottage Diaries ~ My Year in the Eighteenth Century. I might not want to go back to that time! I hope all is well at the lake. The sun surely looked good here today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your book list I will check them out-I just ordered the book you featured the other day the womans view of homesteading sounds interesting for sure. I think we are finally getting a close to warm up-I did more shoveling this afternoon, allot of ice under the snow. we just have to watch our dock and boat as things thaw and they keep lowering the lake

      Delete
  5. Sounds like lots of good reads. Hope your hubby feels better. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your hubby is doing well again. Best wishes!
    That´s a lot of reading. I admit I get distracted by the "darn internet" way too much! My list of unread books grows, and guess what I just did, I ordered three "real" books on top!!!
    Here it warmed up, like really, it´s crazy.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit