Saturday, February 20, 2021

A New Recipe Melting Begins & Juvenile Eagle Visitor

   Wow second post in one day haha, my previous post is a movie share if you are interested and the post before that is a list of books I have been reading. and speaking of books I just got in a book I just ordered from ebay a few days ago, a suggestion from my friend at Hill Top-- Hannah The Complete Story. It is a hardcover, like new, free shipping for $4.00 couldn't pass it up. I am anxious to read her story.  Right now though I am reading a book by Hugh G Allison Culloden Tales. Stories from Scotland's most famous battlefield. This one came highly recommended from one of the Outlander groups I follow. It is a good read so far.

   Finally we are slowly getting into a melt down. With ice and almost a foot of snow on top of that I am thankful it is beginning to melt. Sunshine all day today is helping too. I didn't take photos to share but I did more shoveling on our steep driveway to make room for more melting. I shoveled out our garbage container so the pickup will be easy to get to-it is now full as we have had no pick up for over 2 weeks now.  The lake is melting a bit in areas as well. We are still with below freezing temperatures in the evenings, so I am thinking the lake is refreezing. The snow is very heavy now and ice underneath so more of a chore to shovel.

  The room off of the kitchen area, where I have my weaving loom set up, cookbooks on shelves, a wall of stand alone storage pieces that are all vintage, and my computer desk is now a little warmer today. For some odd reason there is no heat vents coming into this room, and with two walls with windows this room was really cold to sit at my computer during the super cold days.  It feels much better today.

  Early this morning we had a juvenile eagle visit us. He sat very high in the trees, so being down below in the house we were really looking up at him. He stayed around for several hours. I zoomed in, as I didn't feel like bundling up and walking up the stairs to get a closer photo.


  A few days ago I found a small pork roast in the freezer. We had 3 meals with it and still had a big chunk left. So I went online searching for ideas to use with pork.  I ran into this one Pork and Sausage Jambalaya With Black Eyed Peas

   This was soooo delicious that the recipe is a keeper. I changed the cooking time around a little bit as the recipe uses fresh pork and mine was already cooked. I had peppers and one large onion left in the frig. I had the chicken stock or bone broth on the pantry-I grabbed the bone broth and I had the andouille in the freezer.  I have allot of herb blends in my spice cupboard but not cajun seasoning. So I looked up the spices to make it and I had everything. 


I didn't have the measurements for each spice so I just sprinkled a good layer over everything with each one and then stirred it all in-the flavors were soooo good
I did add in a little of the crushed red pepper flakes to add a bit more heat.


We have not been eating much in carbs the last few years, but once in awhile like for this dish I will use rice sometimes-it can be a healthy grain. I love this brand-found it amazon I think, but this one is whole grain brown that has been sprouted first and then dried. So this is higher in proteins than just regular brown rice. It also cooks up really nice a bit fluffy.


I did not have any canned black eyed peas-which we don't really care for anyways-so I grabbed a can of white kidney beans instead  I had sweet peppers and also one poblano pepper left in the frig.



  I asked Hubs what he felt like for a baked good that I will bake for us tomorrow morning. Of course he asked for another apple crisp-nope totally out of fruit except for 3 fresh lemons and grapes. He suggest a lemon meringue pie which I might have just enough lemons for or he says how about angel food cakes??  So angel food cakes it is. 

  Hope all of my readers in these very cold wintry areas are warming up too. It does feel amazing today.

14 comments:

  1. We don't heat our upstairs where my craft supplies are. I ended buying a portable electric heater a few years ago so I could work in there in the winter. (And it is also a cooling fan as it gets hot in there in the summer). Crazy isn't it? Your pork looks and sounds yummy. I'm making a meatloaf right now, but no baking this weekend as I ate too much king cake during the week. I haven't had angel food cake for a long time, and it sounds delicious also. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a great idea to be able to heat and cool your craft room instead of the whole upstairs-that would save on the utility bills for sure.
      I have been thinking about making a meatloaf that is always so good. your king cake was so pretty. here's wishing a good new week ahead

      Delete
  2. What a great post! Our temperature warmed up here into the mid 40s and like yours, the house seemed lots warmer. Your room off the kitchen sounds like your kind of space. I can imagine you there on your computer. I think you will enjoy reading Hannah, but Culloden Tales is one I probably wouldn't want to put down. Your Jambalaya looks so good. I would absolutely have to serve it with black-eyed peas, though, for I practically live on them. My hubby once said to me, "Well, I guess you can live on peas." :~) I hope the eagle comes back tomorrow. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, it's a little after 6 am and we are in the 30's this morning already-the first in over 2 weeks of above freezing early morning. we are to get up into the 40's today.
      I can't remember the name now but I have a book by an author that wrote beautifully illustrated books and she lived the same lifestyle has Hannah although she had animals for her foods she didn't have a large herd.
      I have made black eyed peas from time to time but there is a flavor to them I don't like allot.
      Hoping we see the eagles again soon too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I agree and we have not had any rice in months so was a nice treat

      Delete
  4. 15C/59F, sunny here, it´s plain crazy!!!
    Your recipe looks a lot like what I did yesterday, we´ll have today as well and the rest goes into the freezer.
    I added fried eggs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food looks great!!! I love spicy but hubs doesn't at all. Now that the snow is melting I'm seeing what a mess the birds have made on the deck .... guess I'll have to get out there and clean it up this week... so glad the snow is leaving though!!!! I have had to close up all the window treatments and even wear sunglasses in the house because of the snow glare . Macular Degeneration makes bright light extremely painful and my vision so blurry I can't function. Of course it took me a few days to figure out what was going on... brain cells don't work well these days either :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, I do not do real spicy either-this dish just turned our really delicious-lots of flavors with a little bit of hit. the sausage was not real spicy either. I am so glad to see some of this snow melt away too-we got about a foot on top of all the ice. I have our cars shoveled out now, more warm up coming-we just have to keep an eye on our boat and dock.
      Hubs has that too no fun getting older sometimes-take care-hugs

      Delete
  6. A fried egg on top of a rice dish is an Asian favourite, and it is not hard to see why. When the yolk breaks and seeps down through the rice it is wonderful. Add some hot sauce and you are all set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely to see the eagle visiting you by the lake! Your jambalaya looks delicious, I love jambalaya and often make a shrimp, chicken and andouille sausage one which is yummy and the recipe we use is by Paul Prudhomme 😁. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes it was a surprise to be able to see this juvenile eagle. with the bitter cold days we did not see the eagles or many birds either.
      I had not made a jambalaya in years so we really enjoyed this-shrimp would be awesome. thanks for the share Of the chef will check him out online. hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit