Monday, February 8, 2021

Very Cold Week Coming Up

    We have been spoiled for a few years here in SW Missouri with mostly light winters, snows that don't stick around forever, and not allot of ice.  This year my area has gotten slammed with ice (we just missed it) a little snow not allot really, but very very dreary and gloomy this winter, with very few days of any sunshine.

   This week will be brutal-in the minus degrees f. With high temps in the low single digits f.  Over the weekend we got about 2 inches of snow-no worries except there is ice under the snow. Getting up to the mail box can be a big challenge with ice-up the numerous steps and then up the pretty steep driveway to get to the mailbox.  Well it is winter after all and most of you are probably laughing right now with much worse conditions.😀

    The steep driveway is a new one for me, I have always done the snow shoveling if it needs it-Husband is not in good enough health for it. I don't mind really, gets me outdoors right now. I was really sliding on the hill this morning so I needed to dig out my 40 year old snow boots that Larry bought me when we first got married. I didn't own a decent pair at the time and we lived in northern Illinois for many years before retirement. (very cold and lots of snow there) 

   These boots are very warm and I did have good traction on the hill. That is some ice melt in the bucket-I am not that crazy about using this product, being so close to the lake, so once I run out of it am going to use plain salt like ice cream salt instead.


   Last week I did get my package from the Etsy store with a variety of needles to choose from. I probably went overboard but I needed some nicer needles for the wool applique project too. I picked up a new leather thimble as well-it sits low on your finger and you push the needle with the flat of your finger.  I don't wear thimbles very often-they drive me crazy haha. But will give this one a go.

   These needles are from Japan and very good quality



   I settled on using the heavier embroidery needles.  I am having a difficult time getting comfortable working on this hand quilting project. With top and bottom layers being quality flannels the quilt is rather thick. (I also had taken the quilt off of the frame and am now working with a very large wooden hoop)   I have taken out my stitches several times now. The animal stencils are not going to work out well for me-so much turning the whole quilt in the large hoop around-it's heavy and cumbersome, and with the thickness of the layers not getting good looking stitches around the animals. 
   So after several attempts I scrapped that idea, and have gone to straight stitches within each block. On the 4 patch blocks I am doing horizontal lines and then the block next to it up and down lines. Perhaps an x in the large blocks. Once I get a rhythm going, I think it will work out. I still have to turn after each row to go back the other direction but with straight lines will be easier, more even stitches and look nicer.  

   I have needed to let this project set a bit as I was getting frustrated with it.

   Over the weekend I made another one of our favorites-keto NY Cheesecake. This morning I cooked up a batch of keto vanilla ice cream so we'll have ice cream in the freezer again. I will churn that this afternoon.

  With the dreary days here we have not seen many sunrises as they were being covered with the clouds. Yesterday though we had a bright sunrise.

  Since it was so cold I took these photos from indoors through the large window-I have not had a warm enough day lately to wash the outside of those windows.


  This was such a very bright sunrise which we do not see that often as it comes up





  After a couple hours we were back to the sun being hidden behind the thick cloud cover.

   I made a big pot of northern white beans and ham over the weekend as well. I found one more package of ham chunks in the freezer. I added lots of different herbs, a bay leaf, and a big handful of dried onions. Perfect for a cold wintry week.

   I am really enjoying writing to my new pen pals, and finding snail mail in my mailbox-makes me smile. If anyone else would like to be pen pals or exchange cards through out the year you can contact me through my contact link on my page. and just a note to my pen pals over the pond I have mailed some out last week don't know how long it will take to get to you.

  Have a good new week-stay warm and safe-Hugs from the Lake

Found this image online



22 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds cold! Glad you have good boots to keep you warm and the salt sounds like a great way to support the environment as you live by the lake 😁. Loved seeing your photos, we had sunshine today and some snow flurries, although they didn't last long and nothing settled. Looks like you've got lots of sewing goodies to use and the beans and ham sounds delicious. The cats made me smile too - stay cozy and warm! Have a great new week! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes it has been a cold winter so far. Take care-hugs

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it down the steep driveway without falling. Icy ground, I like to take a walking stick with in for just in case. The ice pick tip broke off but its still good enough for gripping.
    Beside your ice melt bucket, it looks like a mass of hamsters.
    Beautiful sunrise!
    Stay warm and upright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good walking stick too-but not too helpful on a paved icy surface, I was just careful-haha those are my big snow boots
      yep hoping to stay upright-hugs

      Delete
  3. Nice update, stay safe and warm. Be sure to get your shots when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love quality tools to work with-and they come in these too cute packages too

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sun in your last photos looks like it does here in NH. A definite cold weather sky. We're cold right now too, and more snow again coming. You are good to shovel the driveway. Be careful not to slip though on that ice. Have a great T day and stay warm with a big cup of tea. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not thought of this sunrise as being a cold weather sky-it is very cold here for sure. This was the first sunrise we could see in a long time-and now I am missing seeing them every morning.
      You stay warm and safe-hugs

      Delete
  6. Cute you still have the boots - be aware, though - plastic gets old and breaks, I once lost a boot like that. On 5th floor!
    Just put on my winter boots, too, eeek so much snow.
    Hmmm, lovely lake-pic!!! ... s (plural).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to know-these boots are made with rubber and inside they have a removeable wool felt liner. they were made in Canada

      Delete
    2. I just looked them up still being made Sorel boots from Canada. the bottoms are rubber, the tops are leather, and the removeable liners awesome warm boots that last forever

      Delete
    3. Me again haha I decided to look up the sorel boots-they are no longer made in Canada Columbia bought them out in 2000 and in 2010 they are now made in China and Viet Nam ugh https://www.yournextshoes.com/sorel-winter-snow-boots/

      Delete
  7. We are having lovely weather here...NOT! And, we are definitely not looking forward to the bitter cold that's headed this way. I just mailed Valentine cards this morning. I am glad to know you have good boots for your jaunt to the mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not liking this bitter cold either.
      I was so bummed I mailed out my cards today too-in our mailbox, I had finally gotten the cards I ordered in the mail yesterday, but the love stamps I ordered didn't get it. the mailman had brought down our mail as we had a package. go up there-and there are my stamps he forgot to put them in with the main order-oh well stuff happens

      Delete
  8. Wonderfully sunny, I hope you stay upright. How did you make ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was our last sunny day so far this week. I am glad I was able to stay upright too-so bitter cold out there right now.
      I made this recipe https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/perfect-low-carb-vanilla-ice-cream/
      It is really excellent-I double the recipe and use cream and for the second part of the recipe I finish up the cream in the quart and finish with half and half still very rich and creamy. and last year I splurged and bought this ice cream maker-I love it no salt and ice cubes just freeze the container instead https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/ice_cream/ice-30bcp1/

      Delete
  9. Not that I'll need to use any in warm sunny Mexico, but I wonder what is in the ice melt product that concerns you.

    Quilters need the patience of Job, don't they?

    I won't forget that I owe you a card or letter. My life is just very crazy right now.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  10. What impressive photographs of the sunrise,such a bright potent colour! Watch out with the ice!!
    At home in the UK we always threw down salt and now I think they are using grit.I saw on the TV that in Germany they don't allow you to throw down salt because it eventually ,during the thaw, gets into the public water stream and contaminates it. They use grit but I imagine grit is more expensive than salt. Just saying...I am sure you have much more experience in managing cold weather and snow than me! Send me your address please :-) Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the last sunrise we have seen since then-it even looks super cold out there.
      I have heard of putting down sand on ice too but that could get messy in the house. I think plain salt is better than these ice melts they sell now-full of chemicals
      I would love to be pen pals

      Delete
  11. Beautiful sunrise. It got cold here in Connecticut, too. Ugh. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit