Thursday, January 7, 2021

I Did Get The Quilt Top Finished & Outlander in my Mailbox Just now

   I finished it yesterday, and went through the back of this quilt cutting off long threads etc today. The seams need a bit of a steam, and sigh I have three seams to fix.

   I cut each square out with a rotary cutter, and that will usually leave a little cut in the fabric above it. I missed not seeing the cut on three pieces-once everything was pretty much together except for the rows.  So I added another piece of small fabric to the seam-the cut goes deep into the seam, and I have no more fabrics big enough to replace the blocks.  So I am going to go through my stash and see what fusibles I have to seal the cut area to the other piece of fabric.   This is a first so I guess my eyes are not catching everything now that I am over 70.

   I will tackle that tomorrow. This ended up much bigger than most of my quilts I make for us. Pretty much a queen minus a few inches and our bed is a full long. I do love the top finish, now to decide how I want to hand quilt this.

   First photo before I added the borders


I am pretty happy with the layout of these scrappy blocks. I did end up with tree blocks in a row, but didn't see a good swap.
    

These borders ended up being a two morning project. I had enough fabric to do this and didn't think it mattered to line up any pattern, so I tore the strips so they would be straight.  I sewed on two sides and could see this was not going to be pretty unless I followed the pattern that you see. The others had no berries in the print. So I took all that apart and had enough fabric to get all the berries in the strips



I am looking into #8 perle cotton to hand quilt larger stitches with. This is a flannel top and bottom with a wool batting.  Our small wal mart did not have this so I could see what it looks like.  Anyone familiar with this and think it would be ok to hand quilt with? thanks

  Back around Thanksgiving weekend I was looking at Outlander inspired jewelry on Etsy. I found a dragonfly bracelet I fell in love with it-the maker in Spain. For free shipping she said it would take up to two months to the US.  This week I started thinking about it and it arrived today. I love the simplicity of this piece, the dragonfly is a bit shiny for me, but I do love it.  

    I had a couple dollars coming in ebay bucks so I wanted to use them before I forgot to, and found an Outlander box calendar which I have never had before. Thought it would be nice in my craft room. Wow I just ordered this and it arrived in two days. I am still waiting for the quilt pattern I ordered and a book that is a bit overdo. our mail seems to get slowed down in different places-patience Kathy patience. 


  I see these photos shows my hand where I fell on concrete several years ago and dislodged the joint out of the socket under my thumb area above my wrist.-it gets a little worse every year, I try to stretch it out as I have noticed that my thumb area is now kind folding under my hand. At the time my doctor didn't recommend the surgery at my age. So glad I am right handed otherwise I would have a really difficult time doing things



26 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilt! Perfect with your iron headboard. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt top turned out beautifully. No doubt it is even more beautiful than pictures can show. I love the look and feel of a flannel quilt. I keep thinking I will tackle a large quilt, but instead I have just been doing some small little applique blocks...just for fun and to learn. I love the Outlander bracelet! We have had a couple of dreary days. The higher mountains around us got snow while we got cold rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi we have had allot of dreary days here over the last couple of weeks too, we need some sunshine again. the applique blocks are a nice project. I ordered the quilt pattern that has appliques thinking of using wool for those-I like to do the blanket stitch instead of needle turn.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on getting the top put together. I tend to have mis-stitches and mistakes in my cross-stitch work because I can't see so clearly. I just fix it best I can or forget about it. Nothing needs to be perfect. I'm sure you'll come up with a way to mend the seams. I have calcium bumps popping out from past injuries, too, and have problems with pain in my wrists and thumbs. Sometimes I just need to take a break from using them too much. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful quilting. Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My! I do so love that quilt! It looks lovely on the bed! My son is an Outlander fan - I have never seen it but I love the bracelet! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Chris. the Outlander books are excellent too

      Delete
  6. I just left a comment but I don't think it went through, so let me try again. I hope that your quilt worked out perfectly and that someone gets to snuggle under it and stay warm and cozy. My wife is a quilter too, but more into art quilts than functional ones, although she makes baby quilts too as gifts when new babies come into the lives of friends, and by default, us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi this one went through-how awesome your wife enjoys making art quilts-does she have a blog where she shares them? In the past I have made a couple with my hand dyed fabrics, and added needle felted wools and cottons, silks Years ago I even sold two pieces. I have had another one in mind for some time now

      Delete
  7. She does not blog, and rarely sells quilts She gives them away mostly. She does have an ETSY shop where she features many other items that she sells. You can link to it by clicking on any of the items you see at the right side of my home page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt looks gorgeous Kathy. I really looks nice on the bed and with the walls. I also like the fabric. I would pick prints like that too. Have a good Friday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Erika, thank you much. I bought these flannels after my Yellowstone trip mostly and I did have a few prints left when we first retired to our woods home. I cant believe its friday already this is going to be longer January than most I believe. enjoy your day hugs

      Delete
  9. The bracelet is beautiful! Your quilt is too. I am amazed at all the projects you tackle! And you're good at all of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thank you I don't usually do this many quilts back to back. This is my 4th one I am just on a roll with quilting right now. Part of is I am in my 70's now no more time to put things off that I want to make and complete that is my drive right now

      Delete
  10. Great quilt! So uncommon here! Love your bracelet. Hehe, yes, my arm bugs me, too, from an accident over 30 years ago. That´s life, huh....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is MOST impressive. I think the top has turned out beautifully. How nice to be nearly finished. At least the hard part is out of the way.

    Sorry to read about your wrist. Looks la bit like both of mine, but mine are due to a form of arthritis, a birth defect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth-I am really happy with this one. now to decide if I want to tackle hand quilting-I think I want to over the ties for this one

      Delete
  12. I do like your quilt :)

    Enjoy the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt is beautiful! Well done.

    On a different note, it looks like Big Tech is cracking down on Wrong Think and they are the ones defining what that is. Google removed the Parler App from its store, so maybe some bloggers will be next. Maybe Google should add "Wrong Think" into their list of "Which community guideline do you believe it violates?" on their "Report Content" link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google is getting really bad with their take downs and censoring this is a country of free speech-no more.
      I would like to get away from google I have gmail and they censored my email-by turning all the letters to red and flagging it as not correct or something--they must have key words now like Trump so sick
      and they have found the blm and antifa people that instigated the break in of the capitol-of course no one wants us to know that.
      I am getting off of fb-I will no longer post anything there. I do enjoy several groups there so for now will keep it activemostly for my author groups and yellowstone photography groups.
      I am now posting on MeWe it is a site that does not censor or take down posts not fitting an agenda sad state of affairs for sure of course the far left tells us it is all conspiracy theories
      I will need to think about if I want to still post here or not do to what google is doing to us

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit