Monday, August 31, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & a Wool Quilt Finish & New Walking Friend

  The first day of September-Wow-and the first Tuesday of the new month. I am really happy to see fall approaching. This also brings us to T with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth where we share a drink related photo and "chat" with friends. 

   I worked every day on the wool quilt and got it finished late Sunday afternoon. I had some ups and downs but am happy with the finish.

   The hand stitching around the edges with the blanket stitch took me a bit to get a rhythm going so I could work faster. This was allot of fabric to hang on to, try to get mostly even stitches (front and back) and get the knots hidden. It came out well and I decided to just use one of the colors of wool.  

    I got the quilt frame set up and got the quilt on it-which was heavy to get on there-started to knot-and what??? I totally forgot that I needed to baste large stitches all over the quilt to keep the three layers flat together-could not believe I did that haha  It's been awhile I guess.  So I took it off the frame, did the basting on the wood floor in front of the windows and decided easier to just knot the quilt there on the floor-it took most of the day on Sunday. In the process I discovered a huge flaw on the flannel fabric I just purchased-a large knot of fibers where the machine must have skipped or something,  well it was already in the completed quilt-was not going to take everything apart-so I cut out a fish and sewed in over this area.




When I got into sewing this on the machine-I said to myself what was I thinking putting this finished quilt into the machine to zig zag this-allot of turns.  It came out better than I thought it would but thinking I may hand embroider over the edges as well


for some reason I can't delete photos once there in my blog-and my labels are not showing up either will see if I can still add them after I post


When I finished with all the ties I put the quilt into the dryer on no heat for about 40 minutes that just kinda put it all in place


My new couch quilt-ready for the cooler weather


Larry has been noticing a lady walking in the early mornings going past our home. So one day he stopped her and asked if she would like a walking partner-she says yes. Soo for the last several days I have gone from walking 4000 steps (around 2 miles) on my own to 8000 steps (around 4 miles) with my new friend.  I told her its been too hot and humid for me, so I haven't walked much the last couple of months and she says she has been getting out super early walking around her home in the dark and when it gets light works up to 3 to 4 miles total.  So Larry said I needed to be ready early and she has been arriving around 6:30 am all of a sudden now this past week it's dark later in the mornings.  

    Talking and learning about my new friend (Karen) (Oops Update correction: I keep thinking my  new friend's name is Karen for some reason but her name is Nancy (she doesn't seem like a Nancy to me)  makes the walking go really fast-I get back home around 8 am  She is of the Lakota nation in the Dakotas lived on a huge ranch with horses and misses it so much-marriage has taken her to this area. I asked her if she had any hobbies-yes I am painter her prefered medium is acrylics. I told her I had decided I wanted to try painting not knowing anything about it and that I had been too hard on myself trying to make my painting too realistic. She told me that she can paint to look like a photograph or her preference is primitive and whimsy.  So I am quite anxious to hopefully see her work and she said she would help me as well.

  My drink reference  It's been much cooler in the mornings-finally-so when I finish with my walk I have a bowl of granola with a nut milk and my decaf coffee out on the deck.



We are sooooo dry here no amounts of rainfall for at least 2 months-so everything is drying up and the leaves are falling-already. very few nuts, acorns on the trees do to this drought.


and one morning I had a chicory "coffee" and made more keto donuts-these are so good



a little messy getting the chocolate on them-these cupcake liners worked out nice though


That's my catch up-Happy T everyone and have a good new week and month

37 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, your quilt is absolutely fantastic, very well done. Big wow, it must have been a lot of hard work. Glad you have found a walking friend and are getting out each morning, that's good. And even better if she can help you with your painting. Those donuts look good, yummy. Enjoy your decaf coffee, have a good new week and a good September. Time is flying by! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I am excited to see her paintings-she told me she has a large painting started on a table top

      Delete
  2. Your new couch quilt looks good.
    I do like how the sun shimmers on the water.
    Those keto donuts look good.

    Have a good week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I love that about the full sun on the lake-looks like diamonds these are really good tasting donuts made with coconut flour

      Delete
  3. Fabulous job on the quilt, Kathy. You made some good "saves" there. It looks lovely draped over the couch/chair. How great that you and Larry found a walking buddy. Karen sounds very interesting. I look forward to hearing about your art adventures with her. There's no better way to learn.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much the fish patch was a good fix over that bad spot of fabric. for some reason I think of her as Karen but her name is Nancy-I am looking forward to seeing her paintings

      Delete
  4. I got all caught up reading about your quilt and all the revisions you had to make. In the end, it turned out great and looks good on your couch.

    It was great that you got to make a new friend and I hope we learn more about Karen, too. Does she have a blog?

    I knew I shouldn't come here hungry. The donuts look good, even for Keto. I bet they went well with your decaf coffee, too. Thanks for sharing your quilt, telling us about your new walking friend, and showing us your donuts and coffee, as well as your breakfast on the deck with us for T this almost Tuesday and almost September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Elizabeth, she doesn't blog and I don't think she is on facebook much either. I am anxious to see her paintings

      Delete
  5. I like your fishie applique fix! Perfect! I’m so eager to see some of Nancy’s primitive and whimsical painting works. Do you think she would allow you to share pics of some? She sounds like a fun walking pal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much Barbara, I am going to ask about photos when she invites me to see her paintings

      Delete
  6. The quilt looks like it will be perfect for wrapping up in as the weather turns colder. How nice that you got to make a new friend and enjoy the same things. I love your deck, but it's sad to see all the leaves on it. You know me, I don't want Summer to end. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will be cuddling up on the couch with this quilt.
      its early for these leaves falling but so much is drying up all over the last 2 months-we finally got rain yesterday and this morning

      Delete
  7. Wow, that is some beautiful quilt!
    If clicking the pic and pressing the delete button does not work - go into HTML-mode and remove it like that, saying "HA, blogger!!! I do what I WANT!" and maybe stick your tongue out, too. 😛

    Great with that walking partner!!! Also more safe! And wonderful you have the same hobbies, too.
    On the deck, ohhhh... I love to see these views! Minus the fallen leaves, I hate letting go of summer (well, maybe this year it ain´t matter, there hardly was one).
    A happy T-day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much Iris, autumn is my favorite time of year I think especially after our brutal hot and humid summer-happy T

      Delete
  8. Awesome work on the quilt! I think people are more friendly here too, as long as you don't get too close. I met a woman named Hillary working in her yard the other day and we had a nice chat, though I don't think it will be a friendship like you and Nancy. Your photos from the deck are beautiful.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-finally cooler so we can sit out there and enjoy the sunrise over the lake. I live really rural too much different than a city

      Delete
  9. Your quilt looks great. Good idea to sew a fish over the flaw in the material. It's nice that you now have a walking partner. I've notices the mornings being darker here, too. Your drought looks very bad, with so many leaves falling like that. (I've had a few leaves falling due to it, but not that many.) The lake view looks like a nice place to sit and have a coffee (or tea) first thing in the morning, and a beverage in the evening. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks I wasn't sure what I was going to do with that bad spot of fabric after the quilt was all together-the patch sounded perfect.
      yes no rain here for 2 months or so finally rain today and yesterday.
      now that it is cooler in the mornings beautiful spot to watch the sunrise

      Delete
  10. Hello-your quilt is beautiful! I'm happy for you that you have a new friend-and you have so much to talk about with her. What a nice hubby you have, to get your new friend for you! We are also very dry here-leaves falling, some parts of trees dying. Most of our yard is brown and crunchy. We haven't mowed in two months. We are very blessed that our old fashioned hand dug well has not ever gone dry! I hope you can show some of the art from your new friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here no mowing for 2 months we did finally get rain yesterday and some this morning. I am anxious to see her paintings too-yes my husband is a keeper for sure (almost 40 years)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful quilt! The basting together is a chore.
    Happy New Walking Friend! Sounds like a good title for a story. Your view from your deck is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the basting is a big chore too. that does sound like a good book title-I love our views-we lived in the middle of the woods since 2003 so if I was going to move out of my beloved woods I had to have a view!

      Delete
  12. Hooray for getting your quilt done in time for the cooler weather! I have a walking friend, and without her I walk half the distance as well. Talking makes the walking so much nicer :) ~ Your breakfast and treats look yummy ~ Enjoy getting to know Nancy and the rest of your week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I am blessed to have a new friend and walking partner-

      Delete
  13. Okay,,, so T is for drinks and making stuff... well I paint and quilt so those have their own days... I'll get the hang of it. Your deck, awesome. Having a walking buddy and being able to safely walk 4 miles without a hundred people running up to you panting, priceless. I'm jelly... speaking of choc donuts... lol LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T for tuesday event-anyone can post about anything just show a photo with a reference to a beverage. yes we live pretty rural in the section of the lake we are at-love it as I haven't lived in the city since the early 70s. these keto donuts are really good-hugs

      Delete
  14. Wow, the quilt is stunning - I love it! You really add so much beautiful detail with your hand stitching - amazing 😁. So nice to find a walking friend and get tips for your painting too. Your bakes look so yummy, I'd love to try one with my cuppa today! I thought of you and your baking as I made mushroom gravy and biscuits yesterday - so yummy 😉. Enjoy your walks and wishing you a very Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yum gravy and biscuits I am going to make that soon I have all the ingredients on hand now. thanks I am enjoying these walks very much-hugs

      Delete
  15. ties with yarn is the traditional way to tie quilts, I have even tied with several strands of embroidery threads too which makes pretty ties.
    yes I am thankful to have someone to walk with-pushes to go outdoors more too. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your walking buddy :) I love that quilt! You'll get a lot of use out of it as the weather cools. Look at all those treats! The stoneware mug is the perfect pattern for your lakeside house. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks I really love this stoneware mug too I don't use it allot as it is really heavy. I think it was a potterer that was pretty new with her craft

      Delete
  17. Kathy your quilt looks gorgeous. It will be nice for the cold winter weather. And those donuts look really delicious. I haven't had a donut in so long...hope it was a wonderful T day and Happy September. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your wool quilt looks great. What an accomplishment to finally finish it.

    Your donuts look yummy and they sound like the perfect companion to a cup of tea.

    That is great that you found a walking companion. I don't like exercise so whenever I have someone to do it with, it makes it more bearable.

    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like routine exercise at all either-having someone to go with will keep me motivated

      Delete
  19. Wow! Your quilt is amazing! What a lot of work though... It looks great on the sofa.
    I had the same problem not being able to delete photos. It's as simple as highlighting the photo and hitting the delete button on your keyboard.
    Wonderful that you now have a walking partner. I hope you will become friends as it seems you have similar interests. I hope she will let you show us her work. And she might be able to give you advice on your painting. Keep us posted. Apart from that, walking in the morning really does you good.
    Happy belated T-Day (Yes, I'm late again as per usual. Tuesday is just a very busy day and I spend the whole of Wednesday catching up)
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt looks fabulous - well done for getting it finished! Well done to Larry for finding you a walking partner, not only that but someone who also paints! We just seem to have almost alternate days of rain and sun - wish I could send you some, but then that would stop your outdoor breakfasts!! Happy T day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit