Monday, August 24, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & Very Hot & Humid at the Lake & Wool Quilt Progress

   Hi everyone, I am thinking this may be our last Tuesday for August.  On Tuesdays we share a post with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T. Anyone is welcome to join in for the T Party just be sure and share a drink related photo in your post.

   We have been back to very hot and humid weather again here at the lake, looks like it will continue for awhile. No rain here either for over a month so everything is drying up and burning up. Of course the chipmunks are still eating my tomatoes-they must need the food this year, as I have never had this issue with them before. They seem to love the small green ones-so I have not yet had one tomato make it to full size. 

   I baked us up another keto New York Cheesecake last week-this one topped with cherry preserves. Yum. I need to churn us up another batch of ice cream this week.

  I got the quilt backing sewn on to the wool quilt along with the thin batting. I messed up my measurements and needed 4 yards instead of 3 yards. But, I think it ended well as I found just enough of a plaid flannel in my stash that matched up to the colors of the fishing print. 






   This turned out to be quite the job getting the three layers smoothed out, pinned, and sewn together. I left a small opening and turned it all to the right side. Hand stitched down the opening. I like the plaid on the back as it picks up the plaids that are on the front.


   Now I started working on the outer edge with a blanket stitch. I had to stop to figure out a better way to hide the knot so not noticeable as there is no "back" side to this quilt that won't be seen. I took this out three times already. I asked the question on how to do this on my slow stitch group on facebook and someone gave me a way to do it-so we'll see how that goes. I will alternate different colors of wool "thread" (yarn)

  I then plan to put it on the hand quilt frame and decide from there what I want to do next. I wanted to add the thin batting to give it a little body and be against all those seams-so it needs to be either tied-like those old country style quilts-or  some large stitching near the seams-not sure yet.

   As soon as I set this up in my extra room where the desk computer and much more is-Larry's sister called and said they wanted to drive down to see a lake house. Larry had found it-it's about 15 minutes by car from where we are or a 5 minute boat ride apart. They want to rent it out for most of the summer, and spend time there during the fall especially. So I took this apart and set it up for the blow up double mattress-those are so nice now to have and actually really comfortable too. They came in very late Saturday evening, and left early Sunday afternoon. Allot of driving-about 7 hours. It would be a bit less but almost the whole route is under construction right now.

   We all went to check it out-it's a cute house, small rooms, it does have 80 foot of water frontage-not bad-but they are in a cove so all the docks are very very close together, as are the houses. Not for me at all-but the advantage of it is they don't have to contend with the high waves hitting their dock like ours. and looks like a family cove so may be nice for their young daughter to find friends. 

    It's way over priced for what needs to be finished up to make it nicer for renting-so we'll see what they decide. (they are looking to buy a lake house and then rent it out most of the summer)

   That's been my week since last Tuesday. I did wake up with a horrible tooth ache this morning from the area where my new crown was put on just a couple of weeks ago. Feels like an infection of some sort-so hoping I can get in this week to find out.

  For my drink reference-I poured me a glass of cashew milk over crushed ice-It's from the company Elmhurst that I had shared awhile back. Just cashews and water nothing else.

Happy T everyone. 

42 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a terrible time for a toothache, and I wish you a fast recovery! Your quilt looks like it's progressing very well.

    Good luck with the tooth! ... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I don't know what is happening with my tooth but for sure feels like it is under my new crown-sigh I called back and I have an appt on wednesday morning

      Delete
  2. You had me at "tied-like those old country style quilts," Kathy. We had an elderly friend who helped my mom with the housework (six kids make a lot of it). Once a year or so, she would bring five or six of her quilting friends over. We had a big laundry room in the basement. I remember them setting up chairs in a rectangle, stretching their quilts and making those ties with thread (yarn). Each of us kids got a quilt from Aunt Marie. Your quilt is lovely.

    I hope the rental works out for Larry's sister. When you're renting, there are a lot of things you really don't care about. But the rent price is very important!

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome memories-glad you all got a quilt too-hugs
      I went back and clarified-his sister is looking to buy a lake home but rent it out most of the summer to help pay for it she will need to research what the going rent price is in the area

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've been very busy Kathy. But still having fun. Your cheesecake sounds very delicious. I haven't had cheesecake for quite awhile and it does make me hungry. Hope you are well and have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we love this no carb cheesecake I had found the recipe for so I have been making it about once a month now

      Delete
  4. You won't believe this, but my internet has been offline since about 3 pm my time. I'm glad I had my post ready to go, because I couldn't get online.

    You have had a very busy week, dear. I am sure you enjoyed Larry's sister and family being there, too. I hope they find something affordable to rent, then something great to buy.

    Enjoyed reading about your quilt. My grandmother hand quilted all her quilts using a huge hoop she set on her lap. She never made any with the yarn tufts, so I wasn't familiar with them until a friend showed me one once. You have an amazing sewing machine and from what I saw, you have quite a few decorative stitches, too.

    Great to learn about the cashew milk. It actually sounds pretty good. So does your cheese cake. YUM! Thanks for sharing your quilt, your weekend with Larry's sister, and your cashew milk with us for T this almost Tuesday. BTW, it's heated up here, too. My herbs are terribly stressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Elizabeth, this is just a basic sewing machine with the zig zag stitch, zippers, very few decorative but I didn't need or want all of other. when we retired my sisters machine broke big time that I had inherited so Larry bought me this one as I didn't want a very expensive one its a good brand viking husqavarna

      Delete
  5. Bet the chipmunks love you very much for helping them out.
    Here it cooled down way too much (sure, Ingo had to buy a portable AC, what else could´ve happened?!)
    Your quilt is beautiful, but, ow. I looks so difficult to make! (Ingo plans on buying me a kid´s sewing machine).
    Oh, nooo, toothache! Hope you get the problem solved quickly!
    I´ve never seen a cashew-drink here, will have a look, a happy T-day to you, hugs, awww, toothache is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking those chipmunks do too-but I have stopped watering the plants since they do not share these tomatoes
      this cashew milk was really good

      Delete
  6. You have been very busy, and the quilt is really lovely, what a treasure! And cheesecake, too - yummy! Happy T Day, have a great week! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Valerine we are really enjoying this cheesecake-with no carbs

      Delete
  7. How is your tooth ache? I hope it subsides. Are you taking antibiotics?
    Oh your quilt is so beautiful. I finally twigged that the fish pattern is on the back side of the sweater pieces. Brilliant. That is going to be so warm in winter.
    I am not really familiar with quilts as people here don't make them, but I have seen them in the American museum in Bath (UK). And I see quilters on the internet. Looking at the frame it must be quite big. Are you going to sleep under it or is it decorative?
    It's very exciting for Larry's sister to buy a lake-side property.Would it be vacation rents? Do people also want to rent out of season? Or is she looking at long term rents?
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca I called monday morning and asked for some antitbiotics but they never called me back so I called them late in the day and got an appt for wednesday morning.
      I made this quilt into an oversized couch blanket it is several inches both directions less than a full size which would be the size of single bed. I love wrapping up with a blanket in the winter time.
      Larry's sister wants to rent out the house as much as she can to pay the mortgage expenses and they will use it for long weekend getaways on days not rented out. there is always things going on at this lake but they will probably visit more on the non summer months. many will rent for a whole week or a long weekend or some just want a sleep over so they are driving after partying

      Delete
    2. that should say so they are Not driving after partying

      Delete
  8. I love this quilt. It will be so warm and see years of service during cold weather. I used to intentionally add a different piece or two of fabric to my quilt backings. I called it “Back Art”. Yours looks perfect. That’s a lot of blanket stitching. Looks lovely, gives it that hand-made touch. I once had a large frame like yours. But it was too big set up, even in my basement. I did one quilt on it, then got rid of it. It really was huge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been busy! The quilt looks like it's coming along nicely. The blow up mattresses are nice and comfy now. We left one at the Eldest's so we can stay in her spare room. Sorry about the toothache. Hope you can get into the dentist so it can be looked at. Take care and Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes these newer blow up mattresses are really nice to have around.
      I did get an appt for wednesday morning, it really feels like it is infected under the crown-not good but we'll see what it is

      Delete
  10. I love your quilt ~ That is such a beautiful and functional keepsake. I guess we got all the rain in Virginia, because all my tomatoes split from too much water :( What a pretty ceramic cup ~ Enjoy your week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks this was a spur of the moment quilt project-I have enjoyed it. yes everything is burnt up here only green grass at all is what splashes up from the lake

      Delete
  11. Prayers that toothache isn't going to be much trouble to get fixed.
    You have been busy. The batting cushioning the seams is perfect.
    I love the fabric patterns you chose. The fishing lures add charm. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I can't get in til wednesday morning and is not getting any better-sigh thanks I thought the thin batting would be nice too with all those seams

      Delete
  12. The quilt project sounds fascinating. What a treasure it'll be when you finish it. House-hunting can be fun. I had never given thought to the benefits/drawbacks of various lakeside locations, but on such a large lake I can see it makes a big difference. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were looking at lake homes I was really amazed at the very different types of properties. this one we just saw actually had no steps-well maybe about 4 to get into the house and on to the dock-that is huge too for this lake. some have space between them like ours-but most don't It is fun looking at all the different houses and lots

      Delete
  13. Such naughty chipmunks! I'm loving your quilt the stitching around the edge finishes it so beautifully 😀. I was amazed when we stayed with our friends at their lake house how different all the houses were. I hope your toothache is all sorted soon and wishing you a very happy T Day! Hugs, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are very naughty chipmunks, yes there are so many different lake house properties-thanks will see the dentist on wednesday hugs

      Delete
  14. Good morning, how are you? I am Brazilian and I am looking for new followers for my blog. And I will follow yours, the following part is after the translator with flags, new friends are also welcome, no matter the distance.

    https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, so glad you dropped by I couldn't get your post to translate to English for me-

      Delete
  15. That quilt is going to be a beauty! Love that pottery mug as well. Tooth pain is the worst! I had two teeth basically reconstructed last week. Not fun. They are still sensitive to heat and cold and I assume will be for quite some time.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much Halle, tooth pain is the worst for sure. hoping yours getting better

      Delete
  16. A quick visit Kathy , I hope you are not in to much pain with the tooth problems and you can get it looked soon.
    The blanket quilt looks fabulous, it will be so cosy on cool winter days.
    Stay safe and well.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good night, how are you? I am looking for new followers for my blog. And I will follow yours with pleasure, my share of followers is after the translator with flags, new friends are also welcome, no matter the distance. I'm follower number 59.

    https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh I am so sorry about your tooth. Nothing worse than a tooth ache. Your quilt is amazing. I made one quilt in my time and well I will not make another. LOL Your drink sounds interesting. I will have to see if I can get some. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not happy with this tooth either since it feels like it is under my very new crown

      Delete
  19. I love your hand stitching on the side of your quilt. So pretty.
    Hope your toothache is resolved very soon. Always love your pottery mugs.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  20. The quilt looks great. The chipmunks might be eating the tomatoes to get water, due to how dry your conditions are. That's why they don't care if they're green: they still have a lot of fluid in them. I'm sorry you have a tooth ache. I hope you don't have to go back to the dentist. Happy Belated T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that too about the chipmunks so just not worrying about getting any tomatoes this summer. yes I have an appt to the dentist this morning-ugh

      Delete
  21. Like WoW - Last Tuesday Of August - Amazing Little Crafty Work There - Also, Beautiful Mug Next To The Keyboard

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think your quilt looks great.

    Sorry to read about your tooth problems, hope it clears up soo.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit