Monday, August 17, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday and Update on Wool Quilt

   Hi Everyone,

        T is where we share our post with a drink related photo with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. I look forward to this event and seeing what everyone has been up to and viewing their art and crafts.

    Last week Larry's sister, her daughter (12 years old) and husband wanted to get away for a bit so her husband could get some R&R from his Vet clinic.  Our lifestyles are totally different but we did get together a couple days. It was another very hot and humid week so Larry didn't take them out on our boat-they couldn't get up early and here by 7 am at the latest. and Larry just can't be out there in that heat any more. They did fish off the dock a couple of times and caught fish-they were small so didn't keep them. He also let them borrow fishing poles to take to their rented condo on the lake so they could fish as well.

     They did spend an afternoon at one of our state parks-Lake in the Ozarks State Park and had a good time. They rented a condo for the week so they could cook their own meals, and they also decided to look at lake homes and condos for sale. She says they will be back in October to look again. They are about 6-8 hours away from this area of the lake-and her husband says it would be a perfect place for him to hide away for a long weekend.  So we'll see what develops.

   I have been working on my wool quilt top this past week. 

       This was all from felted down sweaters and wool clothing that I had in my stash. I had allot of of it so this quilt really used up a bunch. I still have plenty to cut up for weaving or rug hooking, mixed media projects, and wool appliques for a folk style quilt-on cotton. 

   The quilt sewed up pretty well. The most time consuming part was to really pin-use allot of pins, and to press all the seams open-a challenge on some of the double seams together that were sweaters. My walking foot worked perfectly for this project. 

   These are photos when I finished up sewing all the rows together-the stickers to the left are the number of the rows so I could put them together in order.


   Last night I finished up steam pressing all the long rows of seams open

  Here is that photo    I am quite pleased with the results. I had originally designed the lay out for butting the edges together-no seams that way-which didn't work out at all. I hadn't thought to add more of the rectangle pieces in the rows to offset all the double seams when sewing the rows together. So I would suggest that if you decide to make a similiar quilt.



I have been debating if I want to use a batting or not, I found this batting in my stash that I only paid a dollar for. It is very thin so I think it will give the quilt a little body. I laid it out on the quilt top to help flatten it, and then folded it with the top.



For the backing, I had wool yardage in my stash from garage sale finds but decided it would not be real "cozy" as the wool was a bit scratchy.  I did have two pieces of brushed cotton in my stash, but decided it wasn't quite right for this. So I went shopping online, couldn't find what I wanted at a low price, so went on ebay and found this cotton flannel-I think it's perfect. three yards for $25.00 free shipping

   I think I will still layer this-quilt top-batting-backing, and sew around the edges leaving an open to turn-and then blanket stitch around the outer edge, and add ties in the blocks to hold the batting together.

    I don't have any art to share this week. 

         I did win a signed book though, and photo shows my beverage reference. The brand is Ice that is carbonated water with flavorings.

    This is the author I shared awhile back for her novel The Blue-the search for indigo. That was a really a good book. This one is a short story that I really enjoyed by her as well. So I was thrilled when I got the email that I was chosen to win.



Looks like we are beginning to get out of the high 90's -finally It is still hot and humid here though.

  Hope you all had a good week  Happy T 

45 comments:

  1. Kathy your quilt looks beautiful. I am sure it will be warm too. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a really beautiful quilt Kathy!! I admire anyone that can create such precise fabric art.
    Congrats on your win-always a good feeling when you win something you truly want and enjoy:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy. That quilt must have taken a lot of time. It looks very cozy for a winter night. I love that you used recycled sweaters and such.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so far it did take several days now so far. I do love to recycle clothing into quilts, mixed media projects

      Delete
  4. Your quilt came out gorgeous Kathy. And glad you had some nice time with your husband's sister. It would be nice for Larry to have his sister nearby. Would you like it? Hope you have a wonderful T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it would be nice to see family more often if they should end up buying something on the lake. I am happy with my quilt top too-thanks

      Delete
  5. You seem brave to work on all that wool in the heat of Missouri summer! That quilt looks as if it will be fantastic when winter comes.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae, I have always loved wool-it's one of my favorite fibers so the heat doesn't seem to bother me more working with it. I have been spinning wool too

      Delete
  6. What an amazing quilt top, Kathy. I really LIKE it a lot. You did a great job and it was much flatter than I would have imagined. Wool sweaters I've felted have been very thick and chunky when they shrunk, so I was impressed. I'm not a fan of wool. I itch around it, so have to wear gloves if I'm working with it. You seem quite comfortable, though.

    So glad you were able to share some time with Larry's sister and family. I'm sure it made him happy. Sounds like that new dock has come in handy, too.

    Congrats on your book win. I think I have some ICE still, too. Thanks for sharing your quilt top, your visit with family, and your book win, along with your ICE with us for T this almost Tuesday, dear. I'll try to make it back to see what I've missed soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you are back online, I am happy with the quilt so far

      Delete
  7. I do not have any idea how to make such a quilt - Hubby wants to buy me a kid´s sewing machine.
    Oh, boy.
    Luckily... quilts are no German thing. We just have a blanket. That´s it!
    But yours is beautiful and I know simpler ones from Cuba and Australia.
    A happy T-day to you, getting cooler here, too, sadly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I searched online and found that there is allot of quilting going on in Germany. Happy T wishes Kathy

      Delete
  8. That'a a wonderful quilt you're making. Glad you enjoyed having visitors. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, lots of planning and work in that wool quilt! It’s beautiful and will last forever. Same weather here, finally some days that are not in the 90s. Still humid though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was not a planned project just went with it I had it in the back of mind that one day to make a wool quilt it turned out now haha

      Delete
  10. The quilt looks so cozy and the back material is so perfect for your lake house. I hope the temps. begin to drop off so you can use the new blankie. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are finally cooler in the mornings-60s instead of high 70s which is a welcome change in the weather. fall is near
      I can't wait to get this flannel fabric in my mail box

      Delete
  11. That quilt _is_ art :) What a beautiful quilt! It'll be a cozy addition to your lake life. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much for that comment quilting can be an art form thanks hugs

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous quilt! I see hours of work in it, and a touch of the artist too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your quilt looks amazing! I love the batting and fabulous flannel fabric - perfect 😀. Sounds like you had a lovely time with your family, so nice to spend time on the dock fishing! Brings back happy memories of fishing with my dad when I was younger 😀. Enjoy the book and I love your drink coasters, they made me smile! Take care and Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, and am so happy you noticed the coasters too (smiles)
      when I was a little girl I loved fishing with my Grandpa

      Delete
  14. I'm really impressed by your quilt, Kathy. And I love the fishing-themed cotton flannel you found. What do you mean you don't have any art to share this week. That quilt is a work of art!

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eileen, I never think of this type of quilt as being art-but I appreciate that-hugs

      Delete
  15. Hellllloooo?! Your quilt is art! it's beautiful ~ I love it! Congrats on your book win ~ That's fun, I hope you enjoy it :) The fishing flannel will make your quilt soft, warm & itch free :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you had some family time. That quilt is simply stunning. Ohh and congrats on the book. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a beautiful quilt. Well done. I assume the sweaters were yours or Larry's. And looking at the quilt will bring back memories of certain garments. But you have done such a good job of it. I bet it's warm too.
    How lovely that Larry could spend some time with his sister, even though their lifestyle is different. (I have a sister like that)
    Lucky you for winning a signed book! I have read 'The Blue' and I liked that very much.
    I'm sorry I'm late in commenting. My laptop has decided it does no longer wants to use Chrome or Internet Explorer and I have not been able to comment. I have an iPhone but I've tried commenting before and most comments don't arrive. So I am looking for someone to do me a blog on Wordpress (the free version). If you know of anyone who could do that for me and is reasonably priced, please let me know. I have tried myself but I have not succeeded.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the hassle, I don't know anyone that can help I wonder if Jo could help she is on wordpress
      most of the wool I bought at the resale shops, but the hand knitted sweaters were ones my Mom had made back in the 60s so those are nice to see in this quilt-she made the sweaters for my little sister who died young right after graduating from college and my Mom has passed on as well so those will make me smile to see them

      Delete
  18. You did have art for us! Your quilt is beautiful art! I used to quilt, but haven't in years. Happy Day1

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad your husband's sister and family had a nice time staying in the area. Your quilt looks beautiful, but I don't know how you can look at and touch wool when it's hot and humid outside. (I realize you probably have AC, but I would have a mental block against working with that type of fabric right now, as opposed to cool cottons and linens.) I hope your weather cools down. This week it finally cooled down here in Connecticut, but the heat will return by the weekend, and into next week. Happy Belated T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think wool is my favorite natural fiber along with cotton. I love working with it any time of year, I am still spinning wool too

      Delete
  20. Your quilt is impressive! Good combination of colours and swatches. It looks as if it is going to be cosy and warm for your winters. So important and good you could spend time with your family. This situation we are all living breeds the need to keep family close as much as possible. My sister in the UK (who I havent seen in 6 years) had booked to visit us here in Spain in June...that had to be cancelled so she postponed it to 1st September now that flight has been cancelled...big disappointment but best really. stay safe Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks-so sorry you and your sister are not able to get together-crazy times right now-hugs

      Delete
  21. How great to spend time with family! I love the quilt, especially the tweeds and tartans, such fabulous colours! Well done for the book win! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice, I am loving this quilt too and am still excited I won this book

      Delete
  22. your wool quilt looks so cozy, love it! Beautiful colours! Flannel is a perfect backing for this cozy quilt. How wonderful you won a signed book!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Soma. I was very excited when I won this book

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit