Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Wow I had No Idea-Most Tea Bags Are Full of Plastics

  Good morning,
      This is all news to me-I had Noooo idea. I take a quiz every morning at Free the Ocean which helps to remove plastics from our oceans. This was the quiz question today. I was totally surprised by this so had to do some google searches.


    I found this study here

    An article from 2018 on which teas (most tea bags seem to use the plastic)

Found this article     You’d probably be surprised to learn that most tea bags contain up to 25% plastic. In fact, we didn’t know about plastic in tea bags until we watched a viral BBC video about tea production in 2017.

another study


A man poses making a cup of tea with a Yorkshire Tea teabag in London on December 19, 2018. - Britons are up in arms over new environmentally-friendly teabags that leave a bitter taste in the mouth as they split open, spilling their contents into teacups across the land.

(I copy and pasted so my background colors are a bit messed up)

I have allot of boxes of teas so this is just alarming news to me. Now I am wondering if I take the tea out of the bag and into a tea infuser am I eliminating the plastic? Couldn't find that question answered.

Did any of you already know about this?? some of the studies even brought up finding fleas in our teas-ugh 

 Thought I would share.

6 comments:

  1. 😱 I had no idea! I drink Twining's and supposedly the bag contains plastic. I would think that removing the tea from the bag wouldn't change the fact that the tea might absorb some plastic just from being in contact with it. I did look up other brands like Bigelow and supposedly they don't use plastic in their bags. It's probably best to switch over to loose leaf, but I do like the convenience of tea bags especially when I travel,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeek! I don't think taking it out will eliminate the plastic. Perhaps it's better with loose teas. Scary thought with so much plastic! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nooooo! How awful! I'll start transitioning to loose teas as I can. It's a shame we've let plastics take over :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard this - Ugh!
    They are still good for tea bag art though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know this, so I looked up my favorite teas. It seems impossible to escape plastic these days. It is rather sad, isn't it? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Barbara. I use tea bags in my art and loose leaf when i must drink tea (some friends prefer tea to coffee). Thanks for sharing this because I had NO idea.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit