Saturday, October 12, 2019

Pancakes for Breakfast & Full Moon Last Night

  Hubs has been wanting pancakes for awhile so I told him I would make us some for Saturday  morning.
   I bake most everything from scratch and years ago I found a pancake recipe that we love from an old Tassaraja bread book. (here is a link to the one I have) I measured down the ingredients for one serving. I make a mix for Larry and then I make a gluten free version for me.
   Our friends from up in Green Bay Wisconsin area keep us supplied with their own homemade maple syrup, and I picked up lots of things huckleberry when I was in Yellowstone a couple years ago. Just now opened this syrup.


I made Larry's first instead of making them at the same time. His were gone before I thought to take photos haha


My gluten free version turned out perfect-I used half almond flour and half Bob's Red Mill 1-1 gluten free flour with almond milk for the milk and grapeseed oil for the oil.  Larry's same ingredients but used King Arthur's unbleached white flour


This recipe converts to gluten free really well-one seperates the egg and then whips the white to stiff peaks and fold in the batter-makes the pancakes nice and light



I was surprised to see the full moon over the lake last night-very awesome-my old digital camera did pretty well




    Yesterday we drove back to Lebanon-a bit past our woods home-to pick up some things we needed at Lowes (big box store for lumber etc) and to visit our dear friend of many years that has been fighting cancer.
     In my  blog posts I always referred to him has Mr. L to keep his privacy but I would like to share his name now: Lilburn Grimes.
    He had just gotten moved from Joplin Mercy Hospital to a hospice in Lebanon  He knew who we were (some had told us they didn't know them) and we were able to visit a short while with him.
   We had planned to go back for another visit (nurses were attending him when we visited) after Lowes-but Larry was getting too tired and hurting from the walk in the store and from the parking lot into the hospice, so we came back to the lake house.
   Sadly our friend passed early this morning. Lilburn will be missed.
He taught me the wild herbs, dye plants, and mushrooms in our woods. We hunted and fished with him, put up allot of venison together and for several years after his wife had passed he came over for a good dinner.
   I am sad today, but will always remember his friendship and what he taught me and that lives are precious.


5 comments:

  1. For gluten free, I use Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix. Coconut oil. And your syrup choices are yummy.

    Sorry about the loss of your friend.Hopefully, the memories of the time you spent with him will ease the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry you’ve lost your friend. I remember “Mr. L” from your blog posts of long ago. Rest In Peace, Lilburn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to read about Lilburn passing. I guess Joplin is closer to Lebanon than St. Louis. They sure have a great world class hospital now, so I am sure they took good care of him. Sorry for your loss. I know how emotional and sad that can be.

    Your pancakes sure look good, though. Now I'm really, really hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to read about your friend Kathy. It is always sad to lose to someone, but I bet you are thankful you got to stop by for a visit at least. And your pancakes look good. I can't do almond flour (allergic to almonds) but your pancakes look yummy and are making me want some right now. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and trust you'll find some comfort in your memories of times spent with him. R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit