Thursday, September 26, 2019

A Recycled Sheet Recycled Again

  I totally forgot to take a photo of this sheet before I started cutting it up-thought of it afterwards lol

   It has probably been around 15-18 years ago at least back when I first found blogging at Yahoo 360. One of my friends that lived in New Mexico (state in USA) worked at a historical site. One day she found in the trash this sheet and thought of me. She said she couldn't believe they just threw it away with all the beautiful crochet all over it and it was in excellent condition.
      I have a vintage 1800's iron bed where for the top sheets or quilts especially they would cut out the back sides in the corners so it would lay nicely around the poles-don't know if I am explaining that right or not. Anway's this sheet was made perfect for my vintage bed.
   I was thrilled to enjoy using this sheet, the cotton is so soft and luxurious and of course I always loved the crochet around all the edges. My friend thought that this was a vintage sheet,  but I found the tag made in China. I told her about it and we had a good laugh over that.
   So she rescued it from the landfill and we have been enjoying this sheet all those years.
   It now has a few torn areas and bad stains that won't come out so I decided to start ripping it apart in panels and make into a big bag liner for my vintage hamper.
   A couple days ago I gave the hamper a new paint job along with this magazine stand for the bathroom.



   I just jumped into this trying to save as much of the crochet as possible-with trial and error it turned out pretty nice.

  I couldn't get a real good photo but here it is draped over my quilt cabinet as you can see I wanted it really big



I am very happy with the results


and this is what is left of the queen size sheet This cotton is so nice I may just dye it


For a break before our dinner I grabbed a little bag to collect more black walnuts. Surprise I found this turtle on my left of a path that leads to the lake-and then Wow on the right was another one.


The squirrels have been opening up the black walnuts to eat, as you can see what is left over after I picked up the larger pieces for my dye-ink stash making



Happy Friday and weekend everyone

7 comments:

  1. That sheet can be used for some many fun projects. It was a nice find and nice gift too. I love the colors of your hamper and magazine table too. I'd say you've been busy while the hubby recouperates. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you did with that sheet and the paint job on the two pieces, what a difference - fantastic. Great pics of the turtles. The ravens and squirrels are always after the walnuts here! Have a great weekend, all the best to our hubby. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your recycled Hamper and table look amazing! The addition of the vintage sheet is perfect, I love that lace - so beautiful 😁. Nice to see the wildlife at the lake too. Happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the hamper and the table. The pretty lace edging dresses up the hamper nicely. We have turtle crossing signs all over the place, but in all the years we've lived here, I've never seen a turtle. Cool that you have 2. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sheet looks lovely peeking out of the hamper, such a vintage vibe to a utilitarian item. I love it when we have a turtle visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kathy, I love the new hamper and magazine stand colors you created. I wonder what color your bath is (GRIN). The liner turned out great. I'd be dyeing some of it, too, especially the parts that were heavily stained. You have truly been busy while your husband is recuperating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect re-use of that lovely sheet. We used to have a hamper just like that except brown. We literally wore ours out lol It's exciting to see your turtle -a box tortoise, maybe? They make good garden friends :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit