Wednesday, August 8, 2018

My Garden Looking Like a Fall Garden

This morning I just had no choice but to hand water my small veggie and flower garden
  The "promised" rain by the weatherman has fallen short. We were right in the area to get two days of rain and at the very least one evening of t storms and rain We got nothing at all not a drop. Hoping at least someone in Missouri got some rain as the ranchers are really suffering here and are already selling off stock for lack of hay.
   We have a well, so when we are in drought conditions like this I don't do allot of watering-I have learned from a past dry summer that even when I watered twice a day my veggies still did not produce well so now I just don't waste our well water-even though we have a very very deep well that is tapped into an underground river.
  In the veggie garden area I lay down a very thick mulch to keep the weeds down and moisture in around the plants. it does help allot.

  After watering I grabbed the camera-as yellow leaves were falling from plants as I was working. I did get a surprise though-a nice first picking of beans considering the conditions. I think I will make ham, fresh green beans and potatoes-in memory of my Mom-one of her favorite dishes.

   Yesterday morning I canned up a half batch of gherkin inspired pickles-I combined two recipes from the Ball canning book-one I like the spices and the other I prefer the method better. It takes two weeks in two different brines but these are a favorite. These are a crisp sweep pickle but I sprinkle red hot pepper flakes in when I can it up.


Found one yellow hot cayenne pepper (my first time growing these) and one small cucumber


Wisteria in the maple tree-turning yellow already and dropping leaves

note all photos will enlarge to full size


This is the worse section of the zinnias, even watered they have turned yellow and brown over the last few weeks  On the trellis is the yellowing wisteria


This is the view beyond the trellis-these zinnias get full sun all day and seem to be doing a bit better-which is strange to me-but already dyeing off--I have only seen a very few butterflies this summer
  On the plus side I will have lots of seeds for next years


I grew this pretty marigold from seed and only 4 survived but I love how big and spreading they got-will plant them again nest year-but remember to give them much more room



This is tansy-they are suppose to have these yellow flowers-they produce a yellow dye, and dried are great keeping moths away in wool


This is Hopi amaranth for dye. and they will reseed themselves and take over if you let them I planted them to dye with but when I got into really reading about the dye-it is not colorfast or lightfast so I now just keep a section of them going every year since they are pretty. This is probably the 4th year now they have reseeded


These are my only pretty petunias this summer because they are mostly in the shade my others look terrible do to the very hot sun this year.


Happy Wednesday!!

16 comments:

  1. We're low on rain here, too. It keeps getting predicted, but all we get is the occasional 15-minute shower. When zinnias suffer from a lack of water, you know there's a drought :( I love that tansy. I'm guessing butterflies love it, too. The ham dish sounds delicious! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want YOUR garden. Mine didn't even get to four weeks before everything I planted died. Your flowers are lovely, and I'd be usig them as embellishments in handmade paper.

    That was a good first harvest of cuke, pepper, and beans. I would be in heaven with that harvest. Have an awesome Wednesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have so many plants that reseed themselves. Your pickles look wonderful. Wishing you some rain. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Autumn/Fall will be here early this year too! With the heat plants that should be flowering all summer long are going to seed here too 😁. Your garden is still looking lovely and all those veggies look yummy! Have a wonderful week! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jo, yes I know your area has been super hot too
    Happy Wednesday?Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is looking terrific! Looks like you are experiencing great growth. Thanks for the share, have a fantastic rest of your week. Keep up the posts.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks lovely to me, pretty colourful plants and flowers. Our grass looks parched and the flowers all died off, we are not used to the heat and lack of rain.
    Your vegetables and pickles look very tempting and I'm sure will taste delicious.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our grass is pretty brown here too-but I do have allot of green in my veggie garden-my zinnias are drying up now though unless we get some rain soon-enjoy the rest of your week

      Delete
  8. WE had those conditions last year and and this summer we are getting so much rain. It's rumbling now but no rain yet. Hopefully you'll get some rain soon. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are 21 inches above our normal rainfall, the tomatoes are drowning and not producing, neither are the squash. It is too hot during the day, then we get a thunderstorm in the evening. It won't dry out enough for DH to mow the little bit of grass we have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully, you have been getting some of the rain that fell north of us. I have been giving a couple of the most important garden areas a deep soaking once a week and doing a lot of rain dancing. I love pickle-making time. Our favorites are the sweet pickles that soak a week or so in brine. It really makes the house smell nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer, no rain here at all-we keep getting missed-we are sooooo dry here. I love pickle making too-

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit