Saturday, May 12, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday Long and Heavy with Garden Photos

Hi Everyone,  (I am posting a little early this week)
  Another T Stands for Tuesday is upon us. I really enjoy this event and seeing what everyone is creating or doing.
   You are most welcome to join us, just show a photo of your drink-water, coffee, tea, soda or what ever. The link to our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth is in my right hand column.

   Wow we had such a very cold April as I know many of you did also, and then we had a week of nice weather and then the humidity and pollen levels got high and now we are in the 90's f  Too hot for me especially since my garden wasn't even in yet.-just no time or too cold before.

   The last few days though I have been up early-taking care of the birds (the orioles have now left, but lots of hummingbirds now), ducks and geese and then working in my gardens. I am not a hot sun kinda gal and I will never get used to how much closer we are to the sun here then when I was living in the northern mid western states. So when the sun is out with no clouds and we are headed to the 90's then I can't be out in the sun after 11 am or so. I do totally cover up, wear a hat, and use sun screen on my face.
     My husband just discovered some fishing pants and clothes by Columbia that is 50 pdf and wicks away the moisture to keep us cool. So I bought us both shirts (and him pants). I think this will work out good for us (me in the garden and him fishing on the water).

    I have been working on clearing and setting up a flower garden for pollinators-bees, hummingbirds, butterflies. A few years ago I discovered that the butterflies love zinnias-and they are so easy to plant-just grab a variety of colors and shapes of the zinnias in seed packs and then just scatter them. After the first season I then collect the dried flower heads into a big box and then scatter those for seeds. Just buying a couple more different packets each year.
   I have an area I have been working on to rid the weeds and build up the soil-we have very very very little top soil here-nothing at all like what I am used to. In fact I call this soil Missouri concrete yes it is that bad.

  I also planted some echinacea bulbs that are finally starting to grow, and I started from seed a few varieties of milkweed for the monarchs. Also the butterflies love petunias.

I am keeping the photos small since there is so many-just click to fully enlarge.

This whole area will be full of zinnias. The arch has wisteria which will bloom this year. To the right by the rod iron headboard I planted the echinacea and some other flowering perenneals Also to the left a little bit form this arch and in the back is another arch for trumpet vines-the hummingbirds love these.



This spot is just behind the arch to the right. I had found a perenneal sunflower that grows 10 to 12 feet last year-but the deer Love Love sunflowers so it never got a chance to grow. So I built a little fence around it-using cut offs from the stair project for the apartment above the shop. That tall old wooden ladder used to go to a tree stand (for hunting) it was falling apart so I salvaged it to use here.


Another view-that road goes to the shop and the apartment and behind is one of the ponds.




 This view is the back that then runs along the back of my little veggie garden. You can see more of those wooden pieces that I hammered in. I am going to wind some old rope around hopefully to deter the deer and other critters. (the deer could easily jump over but am hoping they won't)  This soil is sooo hard that I had a hard time with my hammer getting these in-but I persevered. 
     Those very green plants is tansy I grew them from seed about 4 years ago not knowing how much they spread. I gather the flower heads; dry and then use to keep moths away in my wool They are also a yellow dye.


This is that same area in back closer view, I laid out straw in front to keep the wild weeds down.




I added an old hand plow-which I actually used for awhile- to the side of where those sunflowers are


  Peeking through the veggie garden. That wicker plant stand is very old. I have had it forever and a couple years ago I just put it outdoors and planted flowers. The butterflies love these petunias-I see one every day.



I planted these clematis up near the house at both ends of the fence when we first moved here-spring 2004. They are so pretty-but these only bloom one time in the spring.


  The plants were sooo expensive this year that I only bought a couple geraniums for this pot along with petunias. I bought a couple herbs but no veggies this year. so hoping my tomatoes from seed will grow ok in this heat already



This is back to the side of the veggie garden-spearmint that has escaped into the garden.



When our Wisconsin friends were here, I asked the guys to lift off this very heavy grate, and stack up another layer of those concrete blocks. This was all too heavy for me to do now. This will work much better now for grilling and cooking-can't wait to try it out



                         


My lemon balm is taking over this area-I love it though. a great healing plant, and makes wonderful tea



 Up near the house where the plastic bottle greenhouses are and the two raised beds-I let the wild violets grow and also this plantain since they are both healing herbs



Today I did get planted my cucumbers, green beans and yellow wax beans, a hill of zucchini, and I planted several veggies that I grew from seed-hoping this hot day won't wilt them too much.

On another note: my husband says have you read your Mary Jane Farm magazine yet? I said no not yet. Well check this out you are in print.  and I was:


So this was fun  This is really a great book about cast iron baking and cooking and I would recommend it. I love all my Mary Jane Books.

Soooo I am getting further behind with my fabric journal since I am trying to get the gardens set up before it's too late. I am taking notes though in the calendar to help me remember things that I want to include.

   I also want to thank everyone for your very kind words about my latest handmade papers-I am so very happy with them that I will want to do that again.  I also want to thank those of you that let me know you enjoy reading my cast iron fridays recipes and tips.

   For my drink today I actually took a couple different photos this past week. I found a new wine I really love, but I am sharing my hard root beer.  I had found a 6 pack of hard root beer made the traditional way that I thought our Wisconsin friends might like. Instead Hubs and his friend Mr L tried it and said it was so delicious and had the best root beer flavor ever. This is loaded with sugar, and was not gluten free either since it was ale based.  I checked online and could not find a gluten free version so decided to make my own.
    A can of Mugs diet free caffeine free, gluten free (it does not say gluten free but did not see anything in the ingredients list) root beer. a small shot of my Tito's gluten free vodka, and lots of ice.-Very good. I think I will look for a root beer flavoring to enhance the root beer taste, but I liked it



   
Happy T Stands for Tuesday everyone.
Thank you for dropping by.  

and if you didn't see it, since I posted this one pretty early this week-I posted a video of our hummingbirds here  I think these are still our favorite little birds-they arrive mid April and leave mid September. A few years back before there was a big hurricane on their migrating path-we had over triple the birds you will see in the video. it was truely amazing

    Also, since so many of you in this group are no reply bloggers and I have seen a few of you that do comment back under your comments-I am going to start doing that now or answer questions back on your blog.  
    I just feel bad I can not reply back to most of you-I am not used to this as in the past we all shared our email so we could converse up and back better. But I understand many of you do not want to be set up this way. 
    I personally would only get spam on my page if I did not approve comments-so I keep that feature in place to avoid spammers-which I had been getting too many of for awhile.
   So anyways, this is what I am going to do now.  I know also that most of you may not have the time to come back and see my reply-but just know it will be there.

22 comments:

  1. You have been very busy in your garden, and everything is growing so well.
    Glad that you got some help from your friends when they were there. Enjoy your root boor, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, now we just need some rain. our Wisconsin friends are the best, thanks I did love my root beer-hugs

      Delete
  2. You have a great space for gardening, and such a nice arrangement for your plants. It's nice to have space for things like wisteria and trumpet vine and herbs that like to spread. Zinnias and sunflowers are among my favorites, and I do hope your sunflowers survive any deer that come calling. I have a wild sunflower that blooms in the fall. I haven't even planted my zinnia seeds yet. I look forward to seeing your blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore what you have done in your garden. I can't believe how busy you have been. That is some amazing work you have been doing in the gardens you have created. I got tired just looking at all you accomplished.

    It was great that the fellows were able to move the bricks and grate. Very impressive. So much fun to see that you will be making cast iron creations there soon.

    Speaking of cast iron, what a fabulous review. I bet it made you proud to be published!

    I bought a 12 pack of root beer and was SHOCKED by how much sugar was in it. I wish I had gone for the diet. Yours looks great.

    Thanks for sharing your garden and your vodka, root beer drink with us for T this week.

    And, yes, I don't often have time to return to see what others have written. Since I make art every day, have to photograph it, post it, and leave comments for others, I would prefer you left a note on MY blog, because if you have a question or comment that needs to be addressed, I will do that on YOUR blog. I NEVER expect anyone should have to come back to my blog to see an answer or a response. BUT, I promise I will try to remember to look every time I return here, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool to be a published reviewer. That is cool!!! And you look like you have a lot of garden work ahead of you, but I must admit that arch is really amazing.I bet your garden is pretty when it is all in bloom. I think you will like those shirts. My husband needs to wear them because of his immune suppression drugs from the kidney transplant,and I got some and I love them. They are surprisingly cool even in the heat. Hope you have a fabulous Monday and T day too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, I thought that was pretty cool too that she saw my review on her book and then printed it.
      Thanks about the shirts-I had never heard of them before but I think they will perfect for us.
      happy T Day hugs Kathy

      Delete
  5. Gosh I'm sure your garden is keeping you super busy-especially this time of year! Your root beer drinks reminded me of when I used to get root beer popsicles as a kid for just 5 cents at our corner store. Those and the vanilla ones were my faves:) Will try and get my cast iron pan going again too... happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes I remember those popsicles too I always loved a good root bear float too-one of my favorite summer drinks

      Delete
  6. forgot to mention- I enjoyed your hummingbird video. I love them and have two feeders out but we rarely get more than two families every year-and boy are they hard to get pics or videos of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very difficult to capture a nice photo-I thought I would try a video this time

      Delete
  7. I've been getting outside early in the morning too... its the only way with this heat... by 11am -noon i'm back inside.. We did get some beautiful rain last night with a little rumble in the background.. not alot but enough to wash everything off.. Love getting a look around your place Kathy. I wish you luckk in your gardening endeavors.. We planted some free Elderberries this year and i'm just gonna try to keep them alive.. :)

    I've never been able to get wysteria to grow.. i tried in TX years ago... You Clematis is gorgeous! I've heard they like their roots in the shade and their faces in the sun...You must have picked a good spot. :) Happy T day!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have really enjoyed my visit to see this post, your garden looks wonderful. It was good to see the photos of the areas you shared, it must take many hours to keep it looking so good. The clematis in bloom looks beautiful.
    Congratulations on having your review printed in the cook book.
    Sending you Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy T Day Yvonne and so glad you stopped by--this area has been such a challenge to keep the wild weeds out of-I am hoping this will be thick with flowers to choke them out lol
      have a great day hugs

      Delete
  9. I so enjoyed walking round your garden with you! You have done so much work and it sounds like you are going to have some lovely flowers this year 😁. The clematis is so beautiful with all those amazing pink flowers - I love it! I'd happily join you for a Root Beer and sit an watch those all those pretty hummingbird visitors with you ...lol 😉. Sending you Happy T Day wishes! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jo, yes I am hoping for lots of flowers in that area this year-it will keep the weeds down too.
    Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your garden projects are amazing Kathy! We are currently doing jungle clearance in ours, the weeds have taken over! :-)
    Happy T-Day,
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You would enjoy seeing the hummingbirds right outside my craft room door. They're only three feet away from me. Sometimes they come in three or four at a time to feed on our Mexican firecracker bush. I just stop work and stare. Wish I could get photos, but the heavy screen door prohibits that. I can't open the door without scaring them away. Plus once a hummer got into the house. We had a devil of a time capturing and releasing the poor little guy. I hope he didn't die later from the stress.

    We have thin hard rocky soil pretty much like you describe. It's a challenge. We add topsoil and get things planted hoping they'll help hold the soil. but it's a chore we have to repeat every couple years. Lake Chapala and surounds are formed on a clay basin. So in the rainy season our topsoil just gets washed away.

    Your property is lovely. I don't know how you manage all the upkeep. You amaze mme, Kathy!

    You're in print - how neat!

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be bummer to have the top soil wash away. I don't have that problem but we do have that very hard clay base. I have to remember to add lime every year too that all seems to wash away.
      that is awesome you have flowers for the hummingbirds I think that is nicer for them too-I am hoping to get trumpet vine flowers this year they will like those.
      Happy T Day Kathy

      Delete
  13. So fun seeing your garden areas, and lovely plants! Loved the video of the hummingbirds! so cute how they zoom around and seem to be jostling to get to the feeder. ;) congrats on being published! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Kathy, your package has arrived. I'm usually quite busy on Mon and Tues, so often don't take time to do much of anything except work on the computer (my internet is one step up from dial-up and very slow, and of course I have problems with my keyboard, too). I often forget everything except visiting the next person on my list or my sidebar. I am off to open it now and thank you so much in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved seeing all your garden pictures. You have a beautiful space. I am looking forward to putting in my garden in very soon.
    I love root bear. How clever of you to make your own.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thanks for stopping by. I am loving this new root beer drink-I added some whipped cream-almost like a float ha ha
      Happy T Day hugs Kathy

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit