Wednesday, May 2, 2018

It's All Barbara's Fault--Making Paper from Dried Grasses

Wow!!   After reading Barbara's post on her paper making adventure- I'm thinking I just gotta try that too lol  Through the years my blogging friend and I have inspired each other along our art and crafts journey.

Looking around outdoors a bit-I find close by dried grasses surrounding the pond up by the house.  We are suppose to have some big storms coming in so I wanted to gather the grasses tonight and get them soaking.

So I grabbed a chair and with Miss Calico nearby cut up the grasses.

I could have spent allot of hours really picking through the grass and making sure no stems. This grass had a stem all the way to the top almost. So I did the best I could and just decided not to worry about that. Those thicker stems will not break down with this simpler method. When I make papers I don't mind at all if everything is not totally broken down-I am looking for artistic papers not perfect for writing on.



This was a nice early evening for me as I spent most of the day driving to and from and at the dentist-I am saving a tooth with a crown.
   I don't remember if I mentioned this yet but a week ago the geese pair lost their eggs. So they are just hanging out on the property.











This is going to soak overnight and I am thinking another day and night as well.
  Stay tuned. I never would have thought to make paper this way-thank you Barbara

9 comments:

  1. I know you have seen this post before, but I wanted to show you again. I don't think you will get the slime I got from the day lilies, but you will definitely need to cook yours a bit longer than the fresh day lilies. I'm going to share this link with Barbara, too. I look forward to seeing the end results of your experiment. Here's mine:

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2017/09/second-on-2nd-handmade-paper.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just shared the link with Barbara and I saw your question about ratios. I share that in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like an interesting project Kathy. I can't wait to see how it comes out and your process along the way. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, Kathy! That sure looks like the same grass I used in my last post. You will learn something from every step of the way with this project. Coincidentally, I also spent pat of my day cutting and starting the soaking for a new batch of paper. Mine is different this time, I’ll go and post it now. I hope it works!
    Sorry about your geese, but nice they stayed. Maybe it’s not too late for more eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun - looking forward to see how it turns out. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made paper from pulp but not plant material. Will be interested to see how it turns out. Aw, too bad about the geese. Maybe she will have another clutch in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still planning to try making paper this summer. I've been collecting and drying flowers from my garden for this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THis looks interesting, i look forward to seeing the end results.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun project and how wonderful to be making your own paper! I enjoyed joining you and findings out more about the process and I can't wait to see what your paper turns out like 😁. Have a great day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit