Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Spring in January & This & That

  Good morning, This week we are in the '50's F, with sunshine-so feels like a spring day for sure. Good to see the sun especially and the pretty blue lake-reflecting from the sky. I was not able to see the wolf moon do to clouds-til last night.

   Yesteray my friends helped me get my car to the auto shop. It charged up pretty fast and then I drove it there with my friend following. She dropped me off at the local family grocery store while she went to the bank. I was so happy to see good produce there, I think the new managment has really improved this section of the store-which is what I needed to shop for.

  Larry has my brand new computer up and running-happy dance!!. The cables that hooked up the monitor were no good, so we swapped those out with some we had-and it is running perfect now. Wow what a difference for sure-I can see colors haha 

   One of the things I have missed is doing puzzles over on Jigsaw Planet-when I can't sleep I always enjoyed those puzzles-just completed one with wolves in a winter setting.. The only thing I lost on my old computer were my photos Didn't think to ask Larry if he knew how to save those-but no big deal really. On Facebook I have photos of Calico kitty and Nikita.

  Larry can get into his wheelchair pretty easily now, trying to stand and walk is still a huge challenge and it brings back lots of pain as well.  The physical therapist is coming twice a week now, and another day the occupational therapist comes as well. Three days a week really tires him out allot-but he keeps pushing forward.

  I am still not getting good sleep every night,  So, I am doing lots more reading. I found a new to me author I like-Ciara Knight, she writes contemporary stories about love, family, friends and community. I rarely read contempary stories but I am really enjoying this author. Her Sweetwater series is very good.

  I haven't been able to get into my craft projects, so I dug out my coloring books that I had bought several years ago. I really like Crayola's books as the pages are set up to tear out too. I have those two books completed now and will use them for my slow mail writing papers. I am using coloring pencils-which I have allot of . When I visited Yellowstone Park I bought a coloring book which I am working on again now. I had one more coloring book, that I don't care for and the pages are difficult to tear out-which I did get accomplished-Am not going to color these pages but will use also them for writing papers.  Sooo I feel like I will have this project crossed off my to do list-which is a good thing. Hoping I can get back to my quilt I am tying-have been too tired to concentrate on that.'

 Last week I was cooking something that I needed a bay leaf for-and I was out-I usually don't run out of things like this. Decided to check out Amazon and Ebay to see what was available and compare prices. On Ebay I found a seller from California that was harvesting and selling his own bay leaves.  They were 20 large fresh bay leaves, free shipping for just under $10.00 I am very happy with this find. I laid them out on parchment paper to dry and then bagged them up


  This year I am hoping to tackle projects that I already had started and  get those completed-and not start anything brand new, as I tend to jump around allot-which I do enjoy doing-just need to Not get side tracked with another new project this year.

    I did get the new to me mordant in the mail and will test that out on the cotton soon that didn't take up any of  the coffee dye color. I did wash it in soap after-but will wash one more time and then try this new mordant-it sounds much easier to work with too and will work on both cotton and wool fibers which is something really new to me for mordants.

   I have never fried chicken-ever, and Larry loves it. Thinking of surprising him soon. I will need to watch a you tube video on how to cut up a whole chicken-which I should know how to do as my Mom always did that-but I was never "in" to learning that.  Also, I have no clue on how to make fried chicken-so if any of you have a good recipe or how to tips please share. Thanks

Have an awesome week everyone


Update: Larry was able to walk with the walker late this afternoon-with his therapist today-good to see a big smile on his face-"and I am not staying in that wheel chair"    


26 comments:

  1. Kathy, I'm glad Larry is getting better. Here's a video to learn how to cut chicken. Of course, use a sharp knife to make the task easier.
    https://youtu.be/d7rE4CHPbfc?si=4q4Uv00jmnlQ5TFu
    and then how to fry it. If you use cornstarch instead of flour it's better and comes out crispier.
    I hope you get rich and then tell me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you so much for link-I will check it out, and the tip about cornstarch-I forgot to mention I have to do gluten free so that's perfect
      thanks about Larry-hugs

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh, a joyous post from someone who so deserves nothing but happiness after some tough times! Things sound so good there. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I feel like we headed toward the turning point hugs back

      Delete
  3. YAY for Larry! I have never fried chicken either. I bake mine. Another YAY for having your computer back. I can see you doing the happy dance right now. ;-) Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes happy dancing for sure-smiles I am glad I am not the only that had not made fried chicken I always baked mine too

      Delete
  4. Yay for better days there on your beautiful lake! So happy to Learn that Larry is making great progress. My old computer is definitely on its last leg. I don’t even know what’s available now. We have enjoyed this spring-like week so much! Mary @ Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my computer set up was really old too. I love the new one-the computer box is super small now which I love-doesn't take over my whole desk top. still need to search for a printer yet too. we are in the '60's this week-wow I am waiting for the cold to pop back in again although it may not hugs

      Delete
    2. I dicovered I don't need a new printer I was sent the wrong ink cartridge months ago-just ordered a new one hopefully that will fix the printer

      Delete
  5. Oh i'm so happy for Larry!!! and YOU!! Woohoo!!! Back when i used to make fried chicken i remember putting it in buttermilk before the flour... thats about all i got for you..lol I think we made it in an electric skillet... The Grandlittles move into their own apartment FRIDAYY!! I'm sure we ALL can't wait... The first week we settled in then Week two we all got sick! All except Hubby... We are all slowly coming out of it.. Not Covid just a respiratory bug going around.. But man its been rough... NOW Hubby is coming down with it... which is actually a blessing i guess because now that the rest of us feels better we can take care of him...lol. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thank you Larry has a long way to go, but this is a huge start.
      On no so sorry you all got ill. I haven't felt good for awhile now, but our weather has been either super cold with ice or this week in the '60s so my sinus's are making me ill-worse today with the sore throat from the drainage-ugh.
      Hoping you husband has a light case. big hugs to all of you

      Delete
    2. ps yes I have heard about using buttermilk and then dip into the flour mixture

      Delete
  6. Bravo Larry!
    That is great news!

    Fried chicken was a regular on the menu when I lived in Texas. Then eat healthy took over putting fried chicken off the dinner menu at home. I use corn oil. Flour with black pepper and garlic powder. Dip chicken in beaten eggs, coat with flour, put into hot oil. I forget how long it takes to cook. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for recipe tips I think I may look around online for a breaded baked chicken instead of frying it's raining here now-early morning happy new week

      Delete
  7. Despite being tired and not sleeping well, it sounds like you are doing pretty great. That's good news about Larry and you've been busy with all sorts of projects. I've never made fried chicken either but if I was I would probably google Ina Garten and fried chicken -- her recipes usually work! Funny -- I used my last bay leaves over the last weekend! Time for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes things are looking up, hoping my car will be fixed this week too-have not had anything to drive for a month now. Larry still has a ways to go but things are looking up finally that's funny you are out of bay leaves too-happy new week

      Delete
  8. Great for Larry to be using his walker! Hope he likes using it more often. I like jigsaw puzzles and reading to pass my retirement years. I got a puzzle table at Christmas and I love using it though it takes me a while to finish a puzzle. But no rush! Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful-a new puzzle table. growing up as kids we always had a large puzzle going-very fun. I enjoye the computer version now but surprise one piece was missing on the last puzzle I did-I wrote them to find out what happend Happy new week

      Delete
  9. Well this was certainly a good news post.
    So pleased Larry is using his walker, and you sound busy with lots of different things on the go :)

    Sending lots of good wishes to you.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry it took me a couple of days to stop by Kathy. But I am happy to read that things are looking up. I bet you are thrilled to have the new computer set up, and that Larry is maneuvering better on his own. Plus everything else you mentioned also. And Happy February to you also. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Yes it has been several months since my computer first started acting up, discovered that months ago a seller sent me the wrong size ink cartridge-ugh just ordered a new one so hoping that fixes the printer.
      Happy new month-I can hear it raining out there right now still feels like spring here-

      Delete
  11. It's nice you are able to get back into some of your crafting and creative outlets! good news Larry is enjoying using the walker too, he is working so hard at it so have so many therapy sessions a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thank you Mica Larry never gives up Happy new week

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit