Saturday, January 13, 2024

Coffee Dye on Cotton Project--Updated

 Brrrr it is sooo cold here this morning, and getting much colder by tonight and continues til next Wednesday  So miss not having a working woodstove-oh well.

  I have been battling sinus and allergies for over a month now-this morning with cold air in the house,  I am a bit nauseated along with it. Ugh 

   I am about at the half way point with the Galileo book I am reading-learning so much about the time period and the church back then. I will do allot more reading today.

  For a break from that I decided to coffee dye the bit of cotton I was gifted. I always keep a jar of decaf instant coffee around for when I need to make kaluha so I had it in the pantry.  I don't have allot of dye pots in the house, (they are in the garden shed) but I did find a spoon and a large bowl I use for crafts.(Only dye with designated dye and craft supplies-not items used for food)  

  Most of the coffee dye recipes are pretty much the same-found another article here  Suggested if want a darker brown use 3 tablespoons of the instant coffee with boiling water. Let sit in the coffee liquid from an hour to overnight.

    I put this together around 9:30 am this morning so am thinking I will let is set til around noon. There are spots of white that have not absorbed the dye yet. I had thought of washing the cotton in dawn soap first with a good rinse but then decided not to-I am thinking I want to do a needle felted "picture" again so it will be ok if bits of white show up.

   Here is the progress so far

               I soaked the cotton fibers in warm water til the cotton really absorbed the water well.


  Grabbed my craft colander to drain and squeeze out the water


I used 3 tablespoons of the instant coffee to 2 cups boiling water-stirred til dissolved in the bowl and then added the cotton.  About 30 minutes after this photo was taken very little white showing now



  The link has instructions on rinsing and then soaking in a vinegar-water solution to set the dye.

   Will Update this post with the next step.


It is now 1 pm here and I am quite disappointed-the cotton is Not taking up the color. I am thinking I should have washed the cotton first This cotton must have had a chemical on it or a pesticide.


  I am so surprised that this cotton did not take any of the coffee dye. Thinking since this cotton came out of the fields, it must have had chemicals on it. A lot of insects attack cotton so it could be pesticides. So I just rinsed the cotton-all the dye went right down the drain, Then I soaked it in a bit of dawn soap and rinsed.  This may need another good wash. 

  I also looked into mordants-I have mordants here for cotton and another one for wool but these are a bit of a process for this small amount of fiber. I did a search online about mordants for cottons and there is a new one, at least this is a very new one to me, that uses cool water and does not need to be heated, also more environment friendly to use.

  I found it on Etsy:  Aluminum Triformate ATF Mordant  for Natural Cellulose Bast Plant Dye for Yarn Fiber Dyeing Printing Linen Cotton Flax Hemp Mordent   The shop is Walnut Farm Designs     So stay tuned



15 comments:

  1. Maybe there's a natural coating on the cotton that needs to be rinsed away first?
    Nice project, I like the color the coffee creates.
    Prayers y'all feel better

    There was a downpour when I went out to do errands. It passed by the time I returned home. Feels more like spring than winter here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had weather here too for most of december-mother nature's winter has moved in with super cold temps. I am thinking you are right there is a pesticide or something on the cotton will give it another wash before I do a mordant on it

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Years ago I would use instant coffee to “tea stain” fabrics for a vintage look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are working with the wool again. I do hope you feel better soon. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you not sure what is going on with me felt sick all day today-no temperature though so that's good this is cotton that a long time friend sent me-they grow fields of it near her and she sent me some for the seeds

      Delete
  4. I haven't dyed in ages. This looks fun and interesting -- productive, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. thank you-I felt sick all day today-ugh no temperature though

      Delete
  6. Stay warm Kathy. Your dyeing looks like it was fun and quite successful too. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erika brrrr it is sooo cold here today we only made it to 2 degrees for the high and going in the minus tonight I have cold all day today. sadly this did not work all the dye just rinsed away-thinking there must be residue from pesitcides on the cotton will try it again once the mordant comes in and I was it well

      Delete
  7. I have never tried to dye cotton before. Too bad it did not work for you. I always give my fabric projects a coffee bath using a paintbrush. I also use 3 TBS of instant coffee to 1 cup cup water, but I also sprinkle in cinnamon to make it smell nice. Good luck trying again and hope it works for you next time. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I have done allot of natural dyeing in the past, this surprised me it didn't work-I am really thinking it had pesiticide residue on it-I will try again when the mordant comes in. cotton is a little more tricky than wool is to natural dye

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit