Friday, January 12, 2024

Our First Winter Blast & Crows & Catch Up

   Good morning Friday

     Well we knew it was coming, our first cold blast of winter is upon us this morning. The temperatures dropped significantly over the last hour.  I put mail in the mailbox to go out-it was chilly and the hill and steps were wet. 30 minutes later i gathered up all the trash to take up and Wow the temperatures had dropped quite a bit and now we have the wind as well.  I waited another half hour or so, and yep the wet pavement was beginning to freeze-so I threw salt out on the hill and steps.

  I may not be able to get up there to check the mail today-and I do love mail-smiles.

We had a little of the homemade granola I had made left, but I decided to put it on the railing for the birds. The tupelo honey was too strong of a flavor for this recipe, and both of us got stomach aches from it if eaten a couple days in a row. The honey did not go bad, I just had forgotten how strong the flavor is.  However, the crows loved it-and came back for more. I am always amazed how large crows are when seeing them up close. I have always loved the crows-very intelligent too

   Sorry if the photos are a bit grainy-when I zoom in with the camera this is what I get sadly The crows really enjoyed this granola and came back several times I stayed in the kitchen to take the photos so I wouldn't frightened them away


Of course the squirrels are always eating all the bird food if I don't chase them off-but they were leary of the crows (ps those of you that are good with English grammar-I thought leary was the right spelling but google says no, so I looked it up and can be leery but most think that is the wrong spelling- thoughts?)


  I am thinking this will be a good day for chicken soup, perhaps I will make us dumplings too-not sure yet.

 I keep being tired during the day, thinking it is our crazy up and down weather along with my allergies that have been off since mid December.  I want to be more alert before getting back to ties on my quilt.

 I may just finish the book I am reading about Galileo today-I learned allot about his life. The end of December Amazon had a big sale on kindle books-I grabbed this one as the price is usually close to $10.00 for the kindle version. The book Is Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel Well written

  Larry had a good week, the physical therapist was happy and a bit impressed yesterday. We decided it would be better use of the medicare money to take two weeks off of therapy. We needed the new lower mattress, and Larry needed more time to heal. The doctors in the hospital never took x rays on the "good" leg, even though Larry kept telling them there was something wrong. This was really a horrible hospital experience-worst ever we have encountered. What ever had possibly cracked on the "good" leg is also healing now. He had an injury a couple years ago the cracked his pelvic bone and hurt is right leg-we think that got re injured from the fall.

   With the new mattress he can easily get into the wheelchair, and since last week he can finally get back into bed first try. Another week yet before he can put full weight on the broken leg that he says feels pretty good except for the hip area. Next week the supervisors of the therapists will be out to recertify for 8 more weeks of physical therapy and medicare will pay for that again. So I am thankful that our insurance has covered everything.

  I watched a little bit on the weather channel and looks like a lot of wintry weather all over the states, and southern states getting tornados.

  I am feeling better finally about getting back to crafts and projects. I am going to coffee dye the grown cotton I received with coffee. The black walnuts I would love to use but that needs to be boiled down outdoors-the smell is too strong to do indoors. I think the coffee will give a stronger brown color than teas. I know when Larry spilled his fresh coffee over a month ago on our bedroom carpet-that stain is Not coming out so far ugh.  Here is an easy how to for coffee dye   If Elizabeth sees this-what do you think of the recipe?

Made us a pot of homemade chicken soup-turned out delicious


Grabbed handmade pottery very large mugs-perfect for this-and fun to use


  Stay safe everyone-Happy Friday and weekend

15 comments:

  1. Dear Kathy, yes, coffee is great for dyeing if you want it. (Experience has shown that it washes incredibly badly out of the laundry if you DON'T want it to be brown 😉)
    I'm very happy that Larry is feeling better and so are you.
    Be careful in the cold that you don't get sick or get on the ice!
    Here in Austria it's also very cold and wintry right now...
    Warm rust rose greetings and all the best, Traude 😊
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/01/servus-ihr-lieben-ich-danke-euch-fur.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Traude, yes I had to think twice about not trying to make it up the hill on the ice-and I would have to make it back down too-don't need for me to fall for sure.
      I am thinking many places are getting extreme weather this coming week-I just got a notice from the electric co to conserve electricity on the 14th do the bitter cold coming in take care-hugs

      Delete
  2. Its great that your husband is able to do more. Recovery just takes time. I love crows as well. We have Ravens here - in fact my subdivision is named after Ravens. They are so smart and play with my lab. The squawk at her and she runs looking up at them - running all over the yard. WE named them Heckle and Jeckle even though I believe they were magpies. Chicken soup on a cold winter day sounds delightful. I've always spelled it leery but ran into that as well on a post and looked it up. Have a warm weekend. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I'm glad Larry is getting better and that you can do the tasks that make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Larry is getting better. Hope you did a bad review in his hospital experience. Chicken Noodle soup sounds yummy. We are having rain. snow and wind. It has been like this all afternoon, so not sure what it going to look like outside in the morning. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ye wen the hospital sent me a review to fill out-I wrote extra about horrible their staff was, I expected to hear from someone, as I did put an address label on it too., never heard back from them. the bad thing is the 011 service here is supported by that hosp and they refused to take him to a different hosp when I had to call them back in early Nov. Next time I will drive to a different hosp instead if possible.
      my soup turned out so good-was happy about that. brrr the house is so called already and it's 10 degrees above 0 at moment. I wish we could use the woodstove here-but the owner before us had a major chimney fire which needs repaired first I miss wood heat when its this cold.
      seems like the whole country is being effected for the next several day stay safe and warm hugs

      Delete
    2. ooops sorry for the typos I should have re read through it-this cheaper board I bought to type on-for the computer-doesn't work well sometimes

      Delete
  5. I remember that book. It is a good one. And right now we are warm and raining. A lot of wind too. But they say more snow coming Tuesday. It is January, so it's right on schedule. Sounds like you've been busy between cooking and crafts. I haven't coffee or tea dyed anything in a long time. I really should as it's fun to do, isn't it? I hope you have a great weekend. And stay warm. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning so much about his time period too reading this book glad I grabbed it. I have tea dyed a bit quite a few years ago, but thinking I can get a darker brown with the coffee happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  6. Hi Kathy, it's bitter cold over here, too, and I'm staying home as I don't want to fall on the ice, I'm leery of ice. Leery is the traditional spelling which we learnt back at school many moons ago, but leary is used sometimes, although I think it is a misspelling. Leary and O'Leary are traditional Irish names! Glad Larry is slowly getting better, and I'm glad your medicare has paid for his treatment. Happy weeken, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, thank you for the information about leery and leary. I decided not to chance a fall as well trying to get up and down the steep hill and steps with ice to check my mailbox. this bitter cold will be here til next week wednesday.
      Happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  7. This is good news, Kathy. Glad Larry is improving and you've had some time to read (Galileo sounds interesting). We're having our first real winter weather this weekend with lots of snow and very cold. I can't complain -- it has been so mild before and we're Michigan where the snow usually lands in December. Have a great soupy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit